BBC 'Sherlock' versus RDJ's 'Sherlock Holmes'

AG99

DTVUSA Member
Has anyone seen the BBC miniseries Sherlock? They came out in sets of three, the first one back in 2010, another set in 2012, and this last series just now. You can watch them on BBCAmerica or Netflix them.

For those who have seen it and the Robert Downey Jr Sherlock Holmes movies, which to you prefer?

The BBC program is a somewhat hyper-intellectual version of Holmes where he almost seems to inhabit another world. RDJ's Holmes is more gritty yet pops with director Guy Ritchie's hyperstylized visuals. I like both, but for different reasons.

I've been a huge Sherlock Holmes fan since the age of 12. The only thing better than the great Grenada series with Jeremy Brett is the original set of short stories by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

I probably wouldn't mind the Downey Jr. movies so much if I weren't such a fan of the real Holmes. I'm really concerned that some young kids will think they know him from the movie, and won't bother to learn any more. This is an adolescent Holmes that can't satisfy anyone past the age of 15 or 16. The real Holmes is someone you can grow up with. I'm 62 years old, and still read the entire series every ten years or so.

So I saw the first Downey Jr. movie and didn't think it amounted to much. I watched part of one of the miniseries and couldn't get interested. I suppose I need to give the miniseries a better chance, but unless they resurrect Conan Doyle from the grave to be a writer -- it's going to fall short. :embarrassed: You can't replicate genius.

Rick

AG99

DTVUSA Member
I think there's been a tendency to misrepresent Holmes in the media. He's presented as some sort of over-intellectualized aesthete with a fat, bumbling sidekick, when the original stories are quite different. People think Jeremy Brett is the definitive portrayal and miss large chunks of Doyle's Holmes. (That's not to say Brett isn't good or perhaps even the best Holmes out there, but he's not the only "right" way to play him.)

This article gives a nice summation of where the media often falls short in their portrayal of the great detective: Five Things Most Sherlock Holmes Movies Get Wrong (That Guy Ritchie Gets Right) | Nerve.com

Last edited:
I think there's been a tendency to misrepresent Holmes in the media. He's presented as some sort of over-intellectualized aesthete with a fat, bumbling sidekick,
Yes, but not in the Grenada series. Quite the contrary.

when the original stories are quite different. People think Jeremy Brett is the definitive portrayal and miss large chunks of Doyle's Holmes. (That's not to say Brett isn't good or perhaps even the best Holmes out there, but he's not the only "right" way to play him.)
I really don't know what part of Doyle's Holmes you think Brett missed. In fact, nearly every word in the Grenada series is taken verbatim from the short stories, though they began to go astray the last couple seasons.

This article gives a nice summation of where the media often falls short in their portrayal of the great detective: Five Things Most Sherlock Holmes Movies Get Wrong
You can blame most of that on the Rathbone/Bruce movies. The Grenada series got five out of five exactly right. :first:

Rick

AG99

DTVUSA Member
It's been a very long time since I watched Jeremy Brett, but I remember him being very good (which is why I said he was probably the best). What bothers me is the stereotypes about Holmes and Watson that seem to be accepted as the standard now. You get people saying that anything that doesn't conform to those stereotypes isn't the "real" Holmes.

As I said before, I enjoy both RDJ's Homes and Cumberbatch's. They're very different, but equally valid. Although when you come right down to it, it's Watson that really makes a Holmes story work. Both Jude Law and Martin Freeman are outstanding, perhaps better than their respective Holmes'.

You get people saying that anything that doesn't conform to those stereotypes isn't the "real" Holmes.
You don't have to put "real" in quotes. Holmes was real -- everyone knows that. Did you know there was an insurance company at the address "221B Baker Street" in the early 1900's? They hired a secretary to answer letters to Holmes, saying he had retired to Sussex to devote himself to beekeeping. :becky: She had to type out every one. No such thing as a form letter back then.

I might have details on the story wrong, but it's a nice story. ;)

Rick