BBC world service facing substantial cutbacks

n2rj

Staff member
I put this here because the BBC essentially was shortwave radio for me. Now they are talking about cutting back substantially. When the beeb stops broadcasting you know shortwave is no longer worth listening to.

With the beeb cutting back, the VOA will be a bigger presence on SW than the BBC. The irony of course is that VOA scaled well back years ago and is a mere shadow of its former self.

Pretty soon all that will be left on Shortwave are the bible beaters and propaganda from Iran and China.

Listeners on three continents lament BBC World Service cutbacks | Media | The Guardian

I put this here because the BBC essentially was shortwave radio for me. Now they are talking about cutting back substantially. When the beeb stops broadcasting you know shortwave is no longer worth listening to.

With the beb cutting back, the VOA will be a bigger presence on SW than the BBC. The irony of course is that VOA scaled well back years ago and is a mere shadow of its former self.

Pretty soon all that will be left on Shortwave are the bible beaters and propaganda from Iran and China.

Listeners on three continents lament BBC World Service cutbacks | Media | The Guardian
n2rj good point. It is a real pity as BBC World Service was the shortwave leader for decades. When I was living in the antipodes (Google and guess where that is) I use to listen to the BBC World Service on shortwave, I preferred them over VOA and the VOA's sloooowww ennngglliissshh broadcasts to Africa. :) Anyway I still listen to BBC on the local PBS FM station.

Actually with the current issues in Egypt it really shows that shortwave still has a place when the "state" pulls the plug on local TV, radio and the internet.

I actually was hoping that the digital radio format Digital Radio Mondiale (DRM), Digital Radio Mondiale - Home which is a non-proprietary format would be widely available in shortwave receivers by now as it has a lot of promise in overcoming QRM and fading and providing local FM quality SW reception with text, EPG, static images. Quite a few shortwave broadcasters are transmitting DRM format, but there are almost no commercially consumer grade SW receivers available to receive it!

Cutthecable KB1MTR
TVictory - Your Cable Freedom Experts - Home Page

Last edited:

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member

I have listened to Short-wave Radio for almost 50 years and I think this is a sad moment. There was nothing better than mesmerizing girlfriends (many years ago) having breakfast with me, listening to road and pass reports from Australia, then switching to 'live' BBC Newscasts.

Regarding what Ryan wrote, HCJB (Heralding Christ Jesus Blessings) Quito Equador retired from Short-wave broadcasting September 30. 2009 after 78 years of Christian ministry. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HCJB Now, the screwball "Family Radio Network" promoting 'social justice' and skewed Christian doctrine owns the airwaves. Ugh.

Jim

I have listened to Short-wave Radio for almost 50 years and I think this is a sad moment. There was nothing better than mesmerizing girlfriends (many years ago) having breakfast with me, listening to road and pass reports from Australia, then switching to 'live' BBC Newscasts.

Regarding what Ryan wrote, HCJB (Heralding Christ Jesus Blessings) Quito Equador retired from Short-wave broadcasting September 30. 2009 after 78 years of Christian ministry. HCJB - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Now, the screwball "Family Radio Network" promoting 'social justice' and skewed Christian doctrine owns the airwaves. Ugh.

Jim
Now that brings back memories. HCJB was I think one of my first QSL's... you know thinking back they were very moderate and a great advocate for Ecuador. I remember when Radio Moscow "blasted" in on almost all the bands.....now it seems to be Radio China International has the bands. I use to enjoy Radio Netherlands from their Bonaire relay in the Dutch Caribbean which I now see is going to close next year RNW Bonaire relay station will close in October 2012

Times are a changing!

Cutthecable
TVictory - Your Cable Freedom Experts - Home Page

Fringe Reception

Staff member
Cutthecable,

You're right about HCJB, they didn't force-feed religeon and they did promote Equador. I looked and I can't find the majority of the QSL cards I earned but I did find one from the BBC Far Eastern Relay Station in Calais, Malasia, at the time under the Republic of Francaise. Radio South Africa was another one that promoted travel to their Country. Once on their list, they would randomly send top-quality color magazines with beautiful pictures and stories about different places to visit when on vacation.

The funniest short-wave story I remember was (probably) in 1986 when our Space Shuttle had a clogged toilet and Radio Moscow told the world the USA couldn't even design a toilet - and then they went so far as to say on their MIR Space Station, their Kosmonauts enjoyed having daily showers. I can see it now as I did then ... an anti-gravity shower with water flying around in every direction and up their noses. Da!

The 'Collective Salvation' message from Family Radio on Short-Wave Radio is complete crap and they promote 'new-age religion' and the end of the World will be May 27, THIS year (according to them).

Does anyone reading this actually believe that nonsense?

Jim

Last edited:

n2rj

Staff member
Which means that Voice of America will be the largest broadcaster of world news.
Scary, aint it?

I love America with all my heart but everyone with a brain knows that VOA is nothing but propaganda. In fact they are very up front about it.

n2rj

Staff member
Cutthecable,

You're right about HCJB, they didn't force-feed religeon and they did promote Equador. I looked and I can't find the majority of the QSL cards I earned but I did find one from the BBC Far Eastern Relay Station in Calais, Malasia, at the time under the Republic of Francaise. Radio South Africa was another one that promoted travel to their Country. Once on their list, they would randomly send top-quality color magazines with beautiful pictures and stories about different places to visit when on vacation.

The funniest short-wave story I remember was (probably) in 1986 when our Space Shuttle had a clogged toilet and Radio Moscow told the world the USA couldn't even design a toilet - and then they went so far as to say on their MIR Space Station, their Kosmonauts enjoyed having daily showers. I can see it now as I did then ... an anti-gravity shower with water flying around in every direction and up their noses. Da!

The 'Collective Salvation' message from Family Radio on Short-Wave Radio is complete crap and they promote 'new-age religion' and the end of the World will be May 27, THIS year (according to them).

Does anyone reading this actually believe that nonsense?

Jim

Jim, Family radio owns WFME channel 29 (DTV) here. They are nothing but Harold Camping all day long. I did like their joy of music program but only because I like music.

n2rj

Staff member
Now that brings back memories. HCJB was I think one of my first QSL's... you know thinking back they were very moderate and a great advocate for Ecuador. I remember when Radio Moscow "blasted" in on almost all the bands.....now it seems to be Radio China International has the bands. I use to enjoy Radio Netherlands from their Bonaire relay in the Dutch Caribbean which I now see is going to close next year RNW Bonaire relay station will close in October 2012

Times are a changing!

Cutthecable
Some of the SW religious stations weren't so bad. I agree, I liked HCJB. I got a QSL card from them.

I also listened to the Christian Science Monitor sometimes. They even had a pen pal service. I had a penpal who I wrote a few times then gave up because high school was just so busy I didn't have time anymore.

I also loved to listen to Allan Weiner and Johnny Lightning both when they were pirate and later on when they bought airtime from WWCR.

Fringe Reception

Staff member
Which means that Voice of America will be the largest broadcaster of world news.
Arron, et al,

I really doubt it. Chinese Short-wave radio is received here stronger than NHK, Tokyo and I rarely find VOA or AFRTS (renamed AFRS or whatever, these days). VOA is rarely heard, at least in English here.
Back in my 'Ham' days, I had a mainline to Japan on both the 40 and 15 meter bands and my wire antennas worked well for short-wave reception.

From what I recall back in the early 1980s, Family Radio bought time on VOA transmitters and that's why they always 'got out' so well. The still do, in spite of the current stage of minimal sunspot activity. VOA always had incredible horsepower as Radio Moscow did.

Jim

Last edited: