Before I begin, I am a self-admitted technophobe

M. Hall

DTVUSA Jr. Member
We've recently purchased a Sharp digital tv....I have no cable, nor do I wish to. I've been running rabbit ears, and
they are fine for analog reception. I do have a Philco converter, will I need it? My reception is not very reliable with
digital. I've got a made-for digital antenna, but I have to run a 50' co-axial cable to use it. Thanks!

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
If your Sharp is indeed a digital tv, you will not need a converter box. Are you sure it is? How long ago did you buy it, and what is the model # of it?

You might have to upgrade to a powered bunny ear antenna. The typical advice here for people with good recetption of analog (with bunny ears), is either use those bunny ears and adjust the heights of the poles, or upgrade to powered bunny ears (make sure the antenna is both an UHF and VHF type antenna).

M. Hall

DTVUSA Jr. Member
I'm at work, and don't have the model # with me, but I bought it in Nov of 08....

So, this DTV antenna on my roof won't work as well as powered bunny-ears? :confused:

Tim58hsv

DTVUSA Member
I'm at work, and don't have the model # with me, but I bought it in Nov of 08....

So, this DTV antenna on my roof won't work as well as powered bunny-ears? :confused:
The tv should be digital ready and the roof antenna will work far better than rabbit ears (that's what we call 'em in these parts). A 50' cable run could be a bit of a reception killer so you may want to add a good low noise (2.5 db noise figure or less) preamp to the system.

I want to add that I have a digital tv and my son has an hd digital tv and we both pick up more channels with Zenith converter boxes than our tv's will pick up without it.

The tv should be digital ready and the roof antenna will work far better than rabbit ears (that's what we call 'em in these parts). A 50' cable run could be a bit of a reception killer so you may want to add a good low noise (2.5 db noise figure or less) preamp to the system.

I want to add that I have a digital tv and my son has an hd digital tv and we both pick up more channels with Zenith converter boxes than our tv's will pick up without it.
same thing with my Vizio LCD, i think the tuners in these LCD tv's are weaker then the boxes

Tim58hsv

DTVUSA Member
Huh.....I'll give it a try sunday....

Let me ask this: Would I be better of with the HD antenna indoors, with a 6' co-ax?
Probably not. It's always better to put it out doors and higher up. Even with a 50' cable run you should get a lot more channels than you would with it indoors.

Let us know how it goes for 'ya.

M. Hall

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Sorry it took me so long to get back, several things kept me from finishing the job, but it's now done. My reception
did improve dramatically on the channels that matter most to me, but not 100%. All in all, it was a wash for me. :rolleyes:

Tim58hsv

DTVUSA Member
Sorry it took me so long to get back, several things kept me from finishing the job, but it's now done. My reception
did improve dramatically on the channels that matter most to me, but not 100%. All in all, it was a wash for me. :rolleyes:
Thanks for the update.

Getting better tv reception can be challenging but it can be fun too. There's always things you can do to improve your current system like a better antenna, an antenna rotator (highly recommended), a preamp (not the radio shack or department store variety), better coax (rg-6 or better yet rg-11), ect.

It can cost a bit but it's really rewarding when you get those channels you could never get before.