Before there was VHS there was......

Tim58hsv

DTVUSA Member
There were Laser Disc which were a lot like today's DVD's only they were the size of a record album, and a few years later RCA came out with something called CED (Capacitance Electronic Disc) or "Video Disc" which was also the size of a record album. The big difference between the two formats was that the CED player, just like a turntable, actually used a needle to play the movie and after a lot of use the CED's audio would have sounds of clicks and pops from the needle scratching the disc.

CED's on Ebay
Ced - Get great deals for Ced on eBay!

Laser Disc on Ebay
laser disc | eBay

I remember at a birthday party once, the kid's dad played a reel to reel cartoon on a white screen. Black and white, of course. Then he played it BACKWARDS! Ooh, aah! None of us had ever seen anything like that.

Most older people didn't have TVs back then. My grandparents didn't have a TV. People played cards. They told stories. Old folk could tell stories like nobody knows nowadays. Regular people as good as Bill Cosby -- I knew three or four like that! They're long gone now. Grampa would be 108, I think.

Rick

Tim58hsv

DTVUSA Member
8mm and to a lesser degree, 16mm film proceeded both Beta and VHS in the consumer market. It was in fact video that all but killed off the use of small gauged film use in the home. Picture wise video sucked compared to the image quality of film but films were most often available only in abridged format while video tapes offered the entire program. There was that and the price wasn't that bad for a video tape when compared to a heavily edited 8mm version of the same show. For example, a 17 minute film on 8mm with color and sound would cost around $50.00 while the whole movie on video tape would be around $100.00 (which is why video rental stores use to be so popular back then.)

Of course, the price of video came way down from those days but the price of film has skyrocketed ever since. Not sure that new 8mm films are still being released but the last time I checked the cost of an entire movie on 8mm film averaged about $700.00. Frickin' ouch! but the picture quality is still far better than anything you can watch on TV with a blu ray player or OTA antenna.

Tim, it couldn't have been Super 8, cause Wikipededia says that was introduced in 1963. I was still in elementary school, so had to be '61 or '62 at the outside.

Not like everybody had a projector. That was the first "home movie" I ever saw. We went to the outdoor theater maybe once a month in the summer -- snuck in our own popcorn and koolaid. :becky: And we had color TV! First on the block. I think there were two shows that had color. Superman!

Rick

Tim58hsv

DTVUSA Member
Tim, it couldn't have been Super 8, cause Wikipededia says that was introduced in 1963. I was still in elementary school, so had to be '61 or '62 at the outside.
Rick
That was just an example as I own the same Mighty Mouse cartoon only my version is in the regular 8 format. It's just like back when the same movie would be released in both VHS and Beta formats. Super 8 and regular 8 are both 8mm films, the only difference is that Super 8 had smaller sprocket holes thus allowing more room for a bigger image on the film.