Question: Beginner needs help choosing antenna and accessories.

Here is my tvfool chart. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TV Fool

I'm willing to mount an exterior antenna with a rotor if needed but pretty clueless on what to buy. I'd like to split this to 2 maybe 3 tv's in the house. I can mount 25 to 30 feet in the air off the chimney. If I mount this antenna would I need to ground it to prevent lightening from running in on my hdtv's?

We currently have an indoor antenna and it is ok but not reliable.

Can anyone give me any suggestions?

Trip

Moderator, , , Webmaster of: Rabbit Ears
Staff member
Whatever you get, it should be relatively small. You've got transmitters for almost every network right near you or at very high power levels:

KREM (2-1) CBS
KXLY (4-1) ABC via KMNZ-LD
KHQ (6-1) NBC via K18DT-D
KSPS (7-1) PBS via K44EC-D
KSKN (22-1) CW
KCDT (26-1) PBS
KAYU (28-1) FOX via K46KE-D
KGPX (34-1) ION

Due to the translators, you should theoretically be able to get away with a UHF-only antenna. I'll leave it to someone who knows more about the reception side of things to make an actual recommendation, but you look like you should be in a good position.

- Trip

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
:welcome: BrokenSinclair

I have several high-power transmitters under a mile from me but I am shadowed from them because I am over the side of 'the' hill from them (NOT LOS as TVFOOL reports to me). I was wondering if you have direct LOS reception from those transmitters.

If so, other channels may require some work to be received because of the difference of massive signal VS far weaker signals. It might require a metal-cased converter box (like a CM-7000) that have their cases grounded (assuming your antenna system is properly grounded) rather than most converter boxes that are housed in plastic boxes.

Jim

:welcome: BrokenSinclair

I have several high-power transmitters under a mile from me but I am shadowed from them because I am over the side of 'the' hill from them (NOT LOS as TVFOOL reports to me). I was wondering if you have direct LOS reception from those transmitters.

If so, other channels may require some work to be received because of the difference of massive signal VS far weaker signals. It might require a metal-cased converter box (like a CM-7000) that have their cases grounded (assuming your antenna system is properly grounded) rather than most converter boxes that are housed in plastic boxes.

Jim
How would I know? I am on the side of a hill / mountain so I think that could be an issue.

Trip

Moderator, , , Webmaster of: Rabbit Ears
Staff member
Which side of the hill are you on? If you look "down the hill," which cardinal direction are you facing?

- Trip

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
Personally, I'd aim for the cluster of stations at about 240 degrees magnetic with a small UHF/VHF-hi antenna like an ANT751 or CM 2016, no amp or rotor. You could add a rotor later if you want to get stuff from other directions, but I think you'd get every major network with that setup plus a few LP stations, too.