Benefits of Direct TV?

sunshine4

DTVUSA Member
Right now I have Dish Network and am thinking of maybe changing to Direct TV. Can anyone tell me what the benefits of Direct TV are over Dish Network? I am just looking for the best provider for my family.

EscapeVelocity

Moderator, , Webmaster of EV's Antenna Blog
Direct TV has better Sports Programming, available. This is special order stuff, which costs above and beyond the Basics.

Dish is cheaper.

bicker

DTVUSA Member
Coincidentally, there is a thread going on at another forum with regard to this. I'm shocked, actually, just how negative the comments are with regard to Dish Network, as compared to DirecTV. I never imagined that there would have been such a difference between the two.

Yes616

The Mod Squad
Coincidentally, there is a thread going on at another forum with regard to this. I'm shocked, actually, just how negative the comments are with regard to Dish Network, as compared to DirecTV. I never imagined that there would have been such a difference between the two.
As a 10 year sub to Dish I don't see any problems with them. What kind of negative comments are you seeing?

To the OP, it depends on what you want and where you are. Dish is cheaper and DirectTV has better sports is true.

Interested in a DVR? Dish is hands down the best.

Locals are not offered everywhere from either provider. That is why your location is important. Give me your town or city, county and state I can see if your locals are available in SD or SD and HD.

bicker

DTVUSA Member
As a 10 year sub to Dish I don't see any problems with them. What kind of negative comments are you seeing?
Note that this is just the bad things posted about Dish Network. There were two messages posted that was actually defending Dish Network and a couple of messages that didn't have a strong opinion either way.
Be careful of "bait and switch" with their "deals". We were loyal DISH customers for 10yrs and then they did this to us when we moved.I will never go back.

They just charged my elderly parents 200 bucks because they moved and the DISH service could not be hooked up at their new apartment. Of course they should have called and argued with them however they just paid them.:mad:
http://www.coloradoattorneygeneral....llion_multistate_settlement_dish_network_over

Read the above press release, and use caution if choosing to go with Dish!

I had a terrible experience with an AT&T/Dish bundle. Had to go as far as filing a complaint with the CT AGs office, and I am a party to the above mentioned lawsuit.
We've had nothing but problems with Dish. We had connection problems, we had one tv go out and they said it would be a week before they could come out and then the guy supposedly coming out called in sick and it was another 2 weeks. We moved and now they are trying to charge us for the receivers, we paid for them up front, they even saw it was buy one get one free when we bought them, but they are still sending us notices and calling. I won't pay it and I'll never use Dish again.
We were quite happy with Dish until 2/3 years ago. Horrid customer service, lots of service failures, lots of programming issues.

Last edited:

IDRick

DTVUSA Member
I don't subscribe to either satellite service so I don't have an axe to grind... I have read several satellite forums over the last couple years as I'm considering a switch to satellite but not ready to jump ship yet.... Based on my reading, you will find whatever you want to see on the forums. Both Direct and Dish have millions of customers. You will find *un*happy customers with both services.

IMO, find the service that provides the channels that you want at a fair price. Locals may or may not be provided by both services in your area. That's a key issue. Quality of install is hugely important and plays a role in the number of dissatified customers. Installers are not paid well which translates into a high turnover. Direct's best offers are available only if you go through their main on-line subscription or with their 1-800 number. They pick the installer, not you. That's a huge negative in my book. Direct charges lease acquistion fees for their HD dvr (common for sat services) but you can't choose which dvr you receive. You get whatever is on the truck. Another huge negative in my book. In my area, Direct does not provide the locals so I would need to install an OTA antenna plus purchase their AM-21 if I wanted to record OTA programming with the dvr. IMO, they should throw in the AM-21's if the new sub has to install their own OTA. Check the forums closely, there have been problems with the HR series dvr's. They're getting better but I'd be reluctant to go with one...

Just my thoughts,

Rick

sunshine4

DTVUSA Member
Thanks for all of your insight regarding the differences. I am not a big sports fan, so I guess Direct TV may not be the best option for me. I really haven't compared the prices yet. They always have a start up special, but you have to determine which is the better price in the long run.

bicker

DTVUSA Member
Yes no problem, I wasn't sure if that link would be okay, given that you had asked for it. ;)

I'll go back and just excerpt some of the messages, themselves instead of providing a link.

Yes616

The Mod Squad
Yes no problem, I wasn't sure if that link would be okay, given that you had asked for it. ;)

I'll go back and just excerpt some of the messages, themselves instead of providing a link.
Thats fine. Thanks.

Edit: On second thought and since it is really a Disney Forum (I don't know how this talk got there), I deceided to put it back.

Since you removed that post, here is the original link..
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2363175

Last edited:
Right now I have Dish Network and am thinking of maybe changing to Direct TV. Can anyone tell me what the benefits of Direct TV are over Dish Network? I am just looking for the best provider for my family.
Aside from sports, I can't think of any benefit. The DVRs that Dish has are some of the best. I have installed and serviced both satellite systems. I have worked with both companies. My opinion is that NONE of the television providers win any awards for customer service.

I have switched unhappy Dish customers to DirecTV and the other way around. With all of the providers (cable, satellite) much of the quality of the end result is determined by the quality of the installation.

All things considered, both company and quality, I still prefer Dish.

I do believe if you are already comfortable with using Dish Network (the remote and receivers, etc,) then you will find the using the DirecTV (guide function, remote, and receiver operation) both lacking and difficult to adjust to.

I hope this helps.

There ISN'T that much difference in good installation. DirecTV quality is below Dish Network in properly installed systems.

This just shows how much variation there can be from one installation to another.

InTheSticks

DTVUSA Jr. Member
anyone tell me what the benefits of Direct TV are over Dish Network?
My initial thought on this is, because they are not Dish Network!

I have switched unhappy Dish customers to DirecTV and the other way around. With all of the providers (cable, satellite) much of the quality of the end result is determined by the quality of the installation.
My problems with DN were never with the installation. My setup was installed by a professional installer, employed by DN. (As I later found out, he left the company because they installed a new manager above him who hadn't worked in the industry prior and kept trying to tell him how to do his job.) I purchased my own receivers, which generally worked fine.

Customer service, or the lack thereof, was my biggest complaint with Dish Network. Credit cards on-file which kept expiring (even though they were valid for 15-18 months past the notice of "expiration"), requests to call back customer service in the hopes of getting another call center because the necessary department in the call center I was routed to "was already closed for the day". Those were just some of the issues I experienced.

I thought it was just me, but then my cousin & I began comparing notes and she, too, experienced the World's Worst Customer Service. It got to the point where I just accepted a lot of stuff because I didn't want to have to deal with the inane incompetence, or have my complaint minimized because, after all, DISH Network was rated Best Satellite Provider by J.D. Power & Associates! (I've never put much stock in their ratings after I was reminded of that factoid by a CSR in an e-mail.)

I'm not at all surprised that they were dinged by attorney generals from around the US, since many of the issues that they settled on had roots in the issues I was experiencing.

One piece of advice: if you do go with them and have customer service issues, just cancel your service (within the no-penalty parameters). In no time at all, they will call you literally day & night to regain your business, making you sweet offers to do so. At least that's what they did to me; but after feeling persona non grata for so many years, it was hard to suddenly feel like I was a personal friend of Charlie Ergen and believe they really meant it.