Best 1080p converter box w/ DVI-D or HDMI out?

Galvatron1

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Galv, is tbeast? I thought OTA was only broadcasted at up to 1080i?
You are right, I edited the poll, thnx! ;-)

The only two I know of:

1 & 2

I forgot HDTV STB max res is 1080i. I was wondering if I could achieve 1080p by hooking up my CM-7000 to this video scaler via s-video to acheive 1080p, what do you think?

From what I've read so far, I do not know of a STB that out performs the CM-7000 in PQ! Have you heard differently?

Last edited:

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
Like an upconvert? Man, that's getting into A/V stuff I really don't know about but it seems like an idea. With any upconverter, is it truely ever what it's supposed to upconvert? Like if you're supposed to get 1080I from a regular DVD upconverter, does it truly look like 1080i??

Thomas G

Contributor
Here are the current HD capable converter boxes,

Coby DTV-140 (HDTV, component video)
Grandtec Tun-5000 (HDTV, component video)
Panarex TR-100 (component video, S/PDIF)
PrimeDTV PHD-100, PHD-205 (QAM tuner, AC-3, S/PDIF, HDTV)
Samsung DTBH260F (HDMI, S/PDIF, component video, HDTV)
Samsung SIR-T451 (QAM, DVI, component video, HDTV)
Sylvania 6900DTE (DVI, component video, HDTV)
Tivax STB-T1 (component video, QAM tuner)
Winegard RC-1010 (HDTV, component video)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_CECB_units

Thomas G

Contributor
Like an upconvert? Man, that's getting into A/V stuff I really don't know about but it seems like an idea. With any upconverter, is it truely ever what it's supposed to upconvert? Like if you're supposed to get 1080I from a regular DVD upconverter, does it truly look like 1080i??
Upconverting is good, but not as good as the real thing. I've always noticed on a DVD player that upconverts regular DVDs, that it looks better than 480p, but much worse than Blu-Ray.

TonyT

DTVUSA Member
Here are the current HD capable converter boxes,

Coby DTV-140 (HDTV, component video)
Grandtec Tun-5000 (HDTV, component video)
Panarex TR-100 (component video, S/PDIF)
PrimeDTV PHD-100, PHD-205 (QAM tuner, AC-3, S/PDIF, HDTV)
Samsung DTBH260F (HDMI, S/PDIF, component video, HDTV)
Samsung SIR-T451 (QAM, DVI, component video, HDTV)
Sylvania 6900DTE (DVI, component video, HDTV)
Tivax STB-T1 (component video, QAM tuner)
Winegard RC-1010 (HDTV, component video)

Comparison of CECB units - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I've seen that list before, but I'm not sure how many of those are actually on the market. I know the Coby and Tivax is. QAM is a huge selling point for me.

divxhacker

DTVUSA Member
I thought the rules of CECBs do not allow anything beyond two types of outputs: RF Out and Composite Video/Left/Right. Yes, restrictive, but the coupons are only providing an adaptation, not an upgrade. No universal remotes that power the TV, either.

Maybe we'd see more options surface when this coupon thing expires.

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
I thought the rules of CECBs do not allow anything beyond two types of outputs: RF Out and Composite Video/Left/Right. Yes, restrictive, but the coupons are only providing an adaptation, not an upgrade. No universal remotes that power the TV, either.

Maybe we'd see more options surface when this coupon thing expires.
It's true the CECBs are limited to output. But there are options. The Dish Network DTVPal DVR isn't a coupon eligible converter box (CECB) and it gets my vote for best OTA HD (1080i) converter box. It includes a DVR for recording OTA programming as well.