Best and Worst Best and Worst Lists of 2009

bicker

DTVUSA Member
I thought it would be great to finish up this year with a discussion of the various Best and Worst Television Shows Lists for 2009. This time of year, there are going to be dozens of television critics posting their own Best and Worst Lists. If you see one, please post a link to it here.

I'll start:

Bob Sassone is a pretty well-regarded blogger on matters of television programming...
Best and Worst TV of 2009: Bob's list - TV Squad

Amy Amatangelo is another pretty well-regarding blogger about television programming...
My picks for the Best of Everything Television 2009 - 'Chuck,' 'Dollhouse,' 'The Vampire Diaries' and more - TV Gal - Zap2it

bicker

DTVUSA Member
It does require, I think, a specific set of interests, either in the specific style of story-telling, itself, and/or having lived through the time period. My wife and I qualify on both counts, and consider the show among the best on television.

Hank Stuever at Washington Post washingtonpost.com has The Jay Leno Show at the top of his worst list with many other bloggers. Anyone taking bets on how much longer that show is going to be on?

My wife loves the new show Cougar but I haven't seen too many things said about it other than your TV Squad link Bicker.

bicker

DTVUSA Member
I suspect that the only thing that will interrupt Leno completing the season will be a quick review of the acquisition by Comcast, and then some specific action by Comcast. Barring that, I suspect it is even likely that Leno will continue on even through a second season, perhaps with a reduced number of days per week (perhaps as little as one day per week).

I think Stuever, though, is exaggerating to make his negative feelings for Leno seem more important than they really are (even) in his own mind. There are likely many "worsts" worse than Leno (again, in his own mind) but he's trying to capture attention, stroke his (Leno-hating and/or NBC-hating) readers, etc. (Stuever's lack of serious consideration is also indicated by his putting Balloon Boy as the Top television offering of the year. Apparently, most of his readers agree with me about that.)

And I've never liked Leno.

Anyway, the show you wife loves is actually Cougar Town, starring Friends' Courtney Cox Arquette. It is a really funny and entertaining show, at times. I wouldn't think it would end up on my Top 10 of the year or anything like that, but yes, definitely, a surprise. I thought it was going to suck! :)

Last edited:

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
My wife loves the new show Cougar but I haven't seen too many things said about it other than your TV Squad link Bicker.
Anyway, the show you wife loves is actually Cougar Town, starring Friends' Courtney Cox Arquette. It is a really funny and entertaining show, at times. I wouldn't think it would end up on my Top 10 of the year or anything like that, but yes, definitely, a surprise. I thought it was going to suck! :)
Courtney Cox Arquette. :) Me likey any show she's on.

bicker

DTVUSA Member
Just a note about that... Early on they filmed some shots of her in a white bikini on the beach, for promotional purposes:

Courteney Cox makes waves on the beach as she films in a skimpy white bikini | Mail Online

They feature an animated image of her in the white bikini in the opening credits. What I found very interesting is that in the first couple of episodes, it was absolutely front-and-center. They actually have redone the opening credits now, putting the white bikini off to the side. I wonder to what extent that, even as an animated image, the image of her in a white bikini was too salacious for some ABC executive. :rolleyes:

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
Allison Waldman
Best and Worst TV of 2009: Allison's list - TV Squad

I have a real hard time with Allison's list. Glee I can understand, if not agree with, but putting The Middle on the "best" list instead of the "worst" list, and putting Accidentally on Purpose and Cougar Town on the "worst" list, bewilders me.

I do appreciate how much lists seem to agree about how bad Hank is. :)
Allison thinks 30 Rock = Overrated? Wow.

bicker

DTVUSA Member
I think, like many things, sometimes people say things in certain ways to make the point they're trying to make sound more important than it really is. So I would take all these lists -- all qualitative appraises, really, that we encounter in life -- with a grain of salt. Figure the "best's" are being presented with more glory than they really earned, and the "worst's" are being presented with more disparagement than is warranted by the reality.

bicker

DTVUSA Member
Having said THAT, here's my Year End Summary

Best television shows, overall
Lost, 24, Battlestar Galactica, Bones, Mad Men, True Blood, Chuck, Leverage, Torchwood, House

Best television comedies
Modern Family, Eureka, Psych

Best "other"
Wipeout, Mythbusters, Life Without People

Most underrated television shows
Kings, Samantha Who

Biggest surprises (in the positive direction)
Castle, Royal Pains, Warehouse 13

Honorable mention
Dollhouse, Burn Notice, ER, Saving Grace, Legend of the Seeker, In Plain Sight, NCIS, Cougar Town, Accidentally on Purpose, The Mentalist, Fringe

Worst television shows (of those I watched)
The Beast, Harper's Island

Dishonorable mention
Stargate Atlantis, Crusoe, Criminal Minds, Sarah Connor Chronicles, Heroes (2008-2009), The Listener, The Cleaner, Trauma, Numb3rs (for one specific episode)

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
Oh we do disagree on some. On the worst side of things, I loved The Beast. Patrick Swayze was great in that. There were some predictable plots, but the arc wrap up (last 4 shows) were just outstanding. It was far from being 'the worst' in my book.

I like Criminal Minds. It's well acted and innovative. However, that said, I'm beginning to agree big time with Mandy Patinkin who left the show because it was too dark. I think he's right and that's getting to me now too.

The Cleaner was a show that really surprised me. While I didn't like S2 as well as S1, I thought it did some good and told some interesting stories. I don't think it deserves to be on the worst list.

Numbers??? Why is it on a worst list? That I don't get, although I will say that they have botched up the show with their budget cut decisions. That's a shame.

On the positive side, I don't watch most of that stuff, not my style, but I will say two things. Battlestar would be on my crap list because it was junk and I hated it (except for Grace Park) and I'd move In Plain Sight up to one of the best slots. I really like that one.

bicker

DTVUSA Member

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
I didn't mind the trainwreck ep. It wasn't great but I've seen a lot of TV that as worse than that. And BG? Ugh. I agree with Olmos who told devoted fans of the original not to watch. He was right.

bicker

DTVUSA Member
The original was practically a cartoon imho -- I can see how folks who really extolled the virtues of the original wouldn't have appreciated the new series.