Evaluation: Best and Worst TV Pilots

SamuelB

DTVUSA Member
Pilots are usually kind of weak... I remember not really liking those of Modern Family and Big Bang Theory. The first episodes were not tempting, I only continued watching because of my friends... And well, I didn't regret it afterwards! But the latter episodes were so much better.

Pilots are usually kind of weak... I remember not really liking those of Modern Family and Big Bang Theory. The first episodes were not tempting, I only continued watching because of my friends... And well, I didn't regret it afterwards! But the latter episodes were so much better.
That's very true. I often stop watching a program after a poor pilot and then subsequently find out from other viewers or TV critics that it has become worth watching. This was exactly what happened with Orange is the New Black...though I still have a lot of reservations even though it has improved drastically from the pilot. Normally, a TV series will take a while to warm up but if you find a show that hits its stride straight away, you know you're on to a winner!

SamuelB

DTVUSA Member
That's very true. I often stop watching a program after a poor pilot and then subsequently find out from other viewers or TV critics that it has become worth watching. This was exactly what happened with Orange is the New Black...though I still have a lot of reservations even though it has improved drastically from the pilot. Normally, a TV series will take a while to warm up but if you find a show that hits its stride straight away, you know you're on to a winner!
Sometimes, however, if a show is too good in the beginning, it may burn out quickly afterwards... If all the good ideas are used to quickly and nothing is left. Balance is the key ;)

Sometimes, however, if a show is too good in the beginning, it may burn out quickly afterwards... If all the good ideas are used to quickly and nothing is left. Balance is the key ;)
Homeland is probably a good example of that. There has to be something in the pilot that makes you want to carry on and see the benefit of taking the idea up for the long haul. If pilots can't do that, then they're really just TV movies. Homeland was a mini-series at best and at worst a 2-hour movie thriller.