Question: Best antenna for installation in attic of two story house

edburns

DTVUSA Rookie
Here's the TVFool report
http://ridingthecrest.com/scratch/20110228-tvfool-report.png

I don't even know how to interpret this to know if it's good news or bad news. I just know that called up DISH an hour ago and cut off my service because I hardly watch it anyway.

If someone could provide some guidance about what kind of antenna to buy. I assume I'll need some kind of pre-amp, right? I expect to drive two or three TV's with the antenna. Thanks for your help.

Ed

dkreichen1968

Staff member
Really good news. You shouldn't need a pre-amp, your signals are way too strong for that. Your NBC station is on high VHF, but other than that everything else looks to be UHF. I'd get a 2 or 4 bay bow-tie antenna and point it toward 107 degrees magnetic to start out with. If you have problems with NBC, you can add a AntennaCraft Y5-7-13 and combine it with UHF antenna using a UVSJ (UHF VHF Splitter Joiner). You could even build an antenna out of a clothes hanger DIY TV Antennas - Folded Dipole and be watching free DTV tonight, that is if your TVs have digital tuners.

http://www.summitsource.com/eagle-a...tie-aerial-red-zone-part-dtv2buhf-p-6505.html

http://www.antennacraft.com/pdfs/U4000.pdf

http://www.antennacraft.com/pdfs/Y5-7-13.pdf

Last edited:

Jim1348

DTVUSA Member
Attic Antenna

Wow, your situation is very similar to mine! When I bought my hobby farm about 17 years ago, they had a VHF-UHF log periodic above the attached garage in the attic. Fast forward to the NTSC to ATSC switch, I suggested to my wife that because of the risk of MPDI (multi path distortion interference) I needed to mount a new antenna outside. Since I am an amateur radio operator, she is accustomed to antennas, but unfortunately did NOT want another antenna. Her response was essentially "she if you can make it work in the attic."

So, after perusing other forums back when, it was suggested to me that I ought to try a Channel Master CM4228 8-Bay Bowtie UHF TV Antenna because it did well on UHF AND okay on the upper VHF channels. As it turns out, two of my station that were VHF, went UHF in the interim, returned to VHF Channels 9 & 11. (Don't you also have an "11" in your area?) Anyway, I did get the CM4228 and it does work great in the attic. That is not to say I didn't have to experiment to get just the right spot without being messed up by MPDI, because I did. Now I am not going to preach and say that the CM4228 is the only way to go, because I don't know that. I am just saying that it worked out for me even though it is UHF and I do have two upper VHF channels. And as we seem to like to say on the internet, your mileage may vary!

Last edited:

Tim58hsv

DTVUSA Member
Here's the TVFool report
http://ridingthecrest.com/scratch/20110228-tvfool-report.png

I don't even know how to interpret this to know if it's good news or bad news. I just know that called up DISH an hour ago and cut off my service because I hardly watch it anyway.
Ed
That's a very impressive TVFool report. Basically every channel listed in the green and yellow shaded areas should come in even in an attic, but of course with an attic installation you never know until you try. Stll, I'm willing to bet that most of those channels will come in. As for antennas I'd recommend the G1483 from Summit Source. Those come in 4, 8, 16-bay versions and work great even on high vhf. I have a 4-bay G1483 that's pretty beat up but it still out performs my U4000, which is a pretty darn good UHF antenna too.

You may need an amp to distribute the signals to more than one television set but hold off on that until you know for sure. Best way to find out is to run the coax from the antenna to one tv set and see what channels come in. Then put the splitter on the line and check again. If you lose channels you may want an amp.

Good Luck!

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
:welcome: edburns,

Regarding attic antennas, they are safe from birds, UV deteroration do to sunlight exposure and bad weather. They can be very successfull especially where a viewer (you) has been blessed with so may potential channels to receive FREE! Another plus is attic antennas don't annoy your neighbors. I wish I personally had a similar TVFOOL report to work from.

On the other hand ... if you have a 'metal roof', 'foil-backed' attic insulation, HVAC ductwork, a metallic chimney, water pipes or any other 'RF reflectors' or blockers in your attic ... any of them can ruin your attic antenna plans in a heartbeat. Outdoor antennas are always best.

Jim

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
One note here, it may be easier (and cheaper) to install an antenna outdoors if the old dish is in the right location on the roof. You remove the dish, and use the J-pipe mount and the dish wire that's already there.

Dish won't remove their stuff from your roof when you cancel, they call it a "gift". You might as well use it!

Tower Guy

DTVUSA Member
If someone could provide some guidance about what kind of antenna to buy.
Ed
You have both VHF and UHF stations. If you opt to try a UHF only antenna, it should be one that is known to work on VHF. The 4228 HD is one of them. The 4221 HD has also been reported to work on VHF.

But, why play with the wrong antenna when you can install the proper antenna for your location?

Try one of these:
ANT751
HBU-22
HD7694P

edburns

DTVUSA Rookie
Thank you for all the helpful posts.

I think I'll actually do what was suggested and put the antenna up where the DISH hardware was. That way I don't have to crawl into the hot and unwieldy attic.

I'll post a pic of my setup when I'm done.

Thanks very much.

Ed

Karlo

DTVUSA Jr. Member
One note here, it may be easier (and cheaper) to install an antenna outdoors if the old dish is in the right location on the roof. You remove the dish, and use the J-pipe mount and the dish wire that's already there.

Dish won't remove their stuff from your roof when you cancel, they call it a "gift". You might as well use it!
Only an installer would do that!!!