Best Antenna for relativly close stations.

traker1001

DTVUSA Jr. Member
First my TVFool.

Hello folks, I am trying to clip the cable. My setup is i am trying to get OTA to my TV in the basement. I can mount an antenna on the sofit pointing south, but Im unsure what the best antenna would be. There are buildings and trees in the way. If it help I have a $10 indoor leaf that I get Eh, OK signals with most the times, Bu tit does break up alot. Im also worried about the wire run. The area I want to mount the antenna would make for about a 50ft run, However, there is actually a dish already there with the RG6 running to the basement. Can I use that RG6?

Would love your thoughts on the matter.

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
You can use the RG6, make sure that you remove any Dish / DirecTV splitter or power supplies from the line. You should be able to get good reception with a 2-bay bowtie antenna like this: Eagle Aspen EASDTV2BUHF

Just point it south. DO NOT USE AN AMPLIFIER - you will overload the TV tuner.

(I wish all installations were this easy!)

:welcome: traker1001,

First my TVFool.

Hello folks, I am trying to clip the cable. My setup is i am trying to get OTA to my TV in the basement. I can mount an antenna on the sofit pointing south,
The soffit? As in the underside of an arch or overhang? Let's be clear that we want this antenna outside, and the elements should be clear of any overhang. Since you already have buildings AND trees in the way, you don't need a basement wall triple blocking the signal.

If it help I have a $10 indoor leaf that I get Eh, OK signals with most the times,
$10!? Wow! Is it one of those Amazon Leaf things or the ClearTV? The leafs are all negative gain antennas much less powerful than rabbit ear, the only advantage being ease of optimal placement.

The area I want to mount the antenna would make for about a 50ft run, However, there is actually a dish already there with the RG6 running to the basement.
Oh, I guess it's outside then. :duh: The 50 ft. run with RG-6 should be no biggie. The fact that you get anything with an indoor leaf is encouraging. You don't need VHF (KOTV is probably out of the question, with those buildings and trees adding up to a 3 or 4 edge signal), so Pogi's 2 bay suggestion makes sense. I guess I'd go for a little more gain, e.g. a 4 bay bowtie, or one of those Stellar Labs tri-booms from MCMElectronics: Stellar Labs HDTV Fringe Tri-boom Antenna 30-2155

The effect of the buildings and trees is hard to quantify. Moving around the leaf might give you a better idea whether to go with the 2 bay or something slightly bigger. If you're sure the leaf is already in the perfect spot, then I'd go for bigger.

Yes, no amp. And a splitter from Dish satellite would be incompatible with TV signals.

Rick

Last edited:

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
Traker,

Mounting an antenna under an eve or under a soffet is a discrete solution, assuming that's where useable signals can be received. Before you drill holes to mount your antenna, be sure to test first. You may find that if you move your antenna as little as six inches (up/down/right/left) may make a world of difference in your reception.

Jim

traker1001

DTVUSA Jr. Member
So I used the above linked antenna and it works GREAT! 34 perfectly clear channels all averaging 92% to 100% Signal strength and quality. Thank you folks very much for your help.

MrPogi

Staff member
So I used the above linked antenna and it works GREAT! 34 perfectly clear channels all averaging 92% to 100% Signal strength and quality. Thank you folks very much for your help.
Which antenna was it, the Eagle Aspen or the Stellar Labs?

traker1001

DTVUSA Jr. Member
I have seen KUJH and KTWU, However the signal quality is about seems to fluctuate between 40% and 60% and tends to break up, so I have them desected at the moment. I have the antenna mounted on a old dish tripod at the moment and it is only about 8ft off the ground. This weekend Im going to get a longer pole and a stabilizing bracket and get it couple feet above the roof and all the trees and houses and see what I get. Ill let you know.

MrPogi

Staff member
Since most edge signals are in a different direction, VHF, or below a -12 NM, it will be difficult to get a reliable signal from them. And you already get all the networks you need. You can try moving your antenna, but don't expect a big improvement.

traker1001

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Since most edge signals are in a different direction, VHF, or below a -12 NM, it will be difficult to get a reliable signal from them. And you already get all the networks you need. You can try moving your antenna, but don't expect a big improvement.
I agree, Im not raising the antenna for the tv services, Im raising it because I want to mount an FM antenna to it, And because I want to mount a directional wifi antenna to network with a friend. Any possible increase in tv reception is a bonus.

Kosmo

DTVUSA Rookie
New to this forum sure glad I saw the MCM Electronic link (to late for now though) good price on some of the antennas. Not that I know much about reflectors but the picture I saw of Fringe Receptions antenna looks like the edges of the reflector are turned backwards. On Kosmic Antennas: SuperQuad the edges are forward does it matter which way they face ?

Reception