Best Buy's Most overpriced HDMI cable:

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
And you thought that Monster Cables were overpriced.
For Just $695.99, this 6.6 foot beauty could be yours!

overpriced_hdmi.jpg
Best Buy HDMI Cable​

The good news, Shipping is Free!
(Lucky you, they have a "Great Financing Offer", too)
I think it may be that special snake oil lubricant that allows it to pass data ever so much better that makes it cost more.

I don't know if this is a typo or what, but a word of advice:
A 6.6 ft HDMI should cost under $20!

Last edited:

MrPogi

Staff member
NOT a typo, here's somthing similar on Amazon.
Amazon.com: Audioquest - Chocolate HDMI Digital Video Cable - 12 Meter: Electronics
Or this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Audioquest-Carbon-Digital-Video-Cable/dp/B003CSU8EK
And the most outrageous, Speaker cables for ONLY $6,800:
K2 Double Star-Quad Geometry Speaker Cable (11.0 Ft.) (Pair)

Somebody must be buying them, I wanna know who... I am Namibian royalty, and I want to send them a money order for a million dollars, so they can send me $500,000, and keep the rest for their troubles...

Last edited:

n2rj

Staff member
There's a lot of junk like that floating around.

Some of the worst offenders I've seen were directional speaker wire, magic CD noise reducing markers (really!), speaker wire vibration reducing platforms and special audio grade electrical outlets. Monster cable pales in comparison.

http://boingboing.net/2009/10/25/the-14772-audio-grad.html

An audiophool and his money are often easily parted.

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
You could be like this guy who flew his lambo to London for an oil change, total cost ~ £23,000:

An Expensive Oil Change - The Wealth Report - WSJ
Wow. Some exotic cars are ridiculous to maintain. I frequent a Ferrari board on my spare time (not because I own one), and I've seen a few $5K and $10K oil change and maintenance bill sheets. Some Ferrari's require the complete front or rear end to be removed to access the engine.

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
Mr. Pogi,

I read the name on the first HDMI cable you wrote about, AudioQuest Coffee. Even if that cable makes coffee its still not worth seven bills.

N2RJ, the duplex outlet is amazing. Let me count all the AC outlets I currently have in my house and to replace them would require a new stimulus package.

Are these items our Government purchases? If so, where is Senator Proxmire and his Golden Fleece Award when we need him ALA the $150 claw hammers he screamed about.

Jim

dkreichen1968

Staff member
Someone sold Verizon FiOS "Monster Cables" for their component cables. Not only do they cost more, but they add to the cost of the packaging since room has to be made for the thicker cables to fit in the box. But, the high end customers (who still use component cables) can say "we got Monster Cables.";)

MrPogi

Staff member
More "AUDIO/VIDEO snake Oil", found through EV's blog (Thanks, EV!)

...............................................Tru Tone Duplex Covers
($30) "Tru-Tone Duplex Covers produce a remarkable degree of focus, fullness, detail and presence."
Machina Dynamica's Tru-Tone Duplex Covers wall outlet plates, audio tweaks, audiophile accessory, anti-resonance
and
Machina Dynamica's Brilliant Pebbles

LLLLLLLLLLLLMikro Brilliant Pebbles on Interconnects

What the heck is it? Brilliant Pebbles is a unique and comprehensive system for tuning the room and audio system based on special physical properties of highly symmetrical crystal structures. Brilliant Pebbles has been evolving since its introduction 6 years ago at the London HI Fi Show, especially the number of applications, many of which were discovered by our customers. Brilliant Pebbles addresses specific resonance control and RFI/EMI absorption problems associated with audio electronics, speakers and cables, as well as acoustic wave problems associated with the listening room boundaries and the 3-dimensional space within the boundaries. Brilliant Pebbles comprises a number of precious and semi-precious stones (crystals) selected for their effectiveness. The original glass bottles for Brilliant Pebbles have been replaced by clear zip lock bags, which have a more linear response than glass. We employ a number of highly-specialized, proprietary techniques in the preparation/assembly of Brilliant Pebbles to enhance the crystals' inherent characteristics. The fundamental operating principle of Brilliant Pebbles involves a number of atomic mechanisms in the crystals
New Size! - Extra Large Brilliant Pebbles - about 50% larger than the Large size, intended for room corners of larger rooms and larger speaker cabinets. Comes in clear ziplock bag. $159 each.
New Cable Kit of 4 Mikros - The Mikros should be attached to all interconnects and digital cable near the RCA jacks or placed on or next to the RCA jacks. Can also be taped to glass in the room - doors, pictures, windows. $99 set of 4 Mikros.
http://www.machinadynamica.com/machina31.htm
There's one born every minute.

n2rj

Staff member
Wow. Some exotic cars are ridiculous to maintain. I frequent a Ferrari board on my spare time (not because I own one), and I've seen a few $5K and $10K oil change and maintenance bill sheets. Some Ferrari's require the complete front or rear end to be removed to access the engine.
I could believe that.

In fact a friend of mine in Qatar knows the Sheikh personally. I don't think he actually just took it for an oil change. I think he took it over there for other things.

But that 23k cost was mostly frieght.

Last edited: