Best Characters (not actors)

Cadus

DTVUSA Member
Favorite, most realistic--whatever. What are some of the characters from shows and movies that you think the world is better off knowing?

As I made my own list, I realized that they're all the same types of characters: they all give off a wrong impression to those around them, but are clever with a genuinely good heart.

1. Cal Lightman from Lie to Me
2. Lelouch Lamperouge from Code Geass
3. Yadomi Jinta from Anohana
4. Tim Riggins from Friday Night Lights
5. Tyrion Lannister from Game of Thrones

1. Angel- from Angel
2. Buffy- from Buffy the Vampire Slayer
3. Sheriff Carter- from Eureka!
4. Captain Jack Harkness - From Dr Who
5. Too many characters to list from Lord of the Rings Trilogy

Favorite, most realistic--whatever. What are some of the characters from shows and movies that you think the world is better off knowing?

As I made my own list, I realized that they're all the same types of characters: they all give off a wrong impression to those around them, but are clever with a genuinely good heart.

1. Cal Lightman from Lie to Me
2. Lelouch Lamperouge from Code Geass
3. Yadomi Jinta from Anohana
4. Tim Riggins from Friday Night Lights
5. Tyrion Lannister from Game of Thrones

So happy to see Tyrion on this list, he's such an underappreciated genius. And Lelouch, ahhh.

Kami, I could make a list for Harry Potter alone. And Luna would be on my list as would good ole Neville :D
We could be friends, then. I love Neville and the journey his character makes throughout the series. Add in that he could have been the Chosen One (and ultimately does risk his life to help defeat Voldemort) and Neville's story might just be one of the most interesting pieces of the whole series. Of course, Rowling tied up all of the small details throughout the books so neatly that they're all interesting to me, and I find some new little tidbit I've never noticed every time I re-read the books.

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
Dame Judi Dench and Geoffrey Palmer playing Jean and Lionel in As Time Goes By
As Time Goes By (TV Series 1992

Don Adams and Barbara Feldon playing Agents 86 and 99 in Get Smart
Get Smart (TV Series 1965

Dan Akroyd and John Beluchi playing Jake and Elwood Blues
The Blues Brothers (1980) - IMDb

Peter Sellers playing three rolls: Group Captain Mandrake, President Merkin Muffley and Dr. Strangelove
in Dr Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964) - IMDb

Curt Jurgens and Robert Mitchum playing opposing Captains Von Stolburg and Murrel in The Enemy Below
The Enemy Below (1957) - IMDb

Last edited:
We could be friends, then. I love Neville and the journey his character makes throughout the series. Add in that he could have been the Chosen One (and ultimately does risk his life to help defeat Voldemort) and Neville's story might just be one of the most interesting pieces of the whole series. Of course, Rowling tied up all of the small details throughout the books so neatly that they're all interesting to me, and I find some new little tidbit I've never noticed every time I re-read the books.
Yes, yes we could :D I love how he grew and matured in the books as a character and the way he grew and matured in the movies just added to it even more. I think Rowling gave some special attention to Neville's story and character that she didnt have to but it helped make him more real. Like I love the fact that in an interview Rowling said that his parents never did recover because some damage is permanent and no amount of magic or work can undo it. That simple statement makes Neville's story seem all the more real to me and all the more powerful.

ageematt20

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Do to my love of sports movies and shows my all time list would have to be filled with a few sports characters filled in with a few others.

Movies:
1. Crash Davis- Bull Durham... The old guy giving advice to the young stud. A well traveled minor league ball player who is as the movie says "just trying to finish the season". Easily my favorite character and movie of all time.
2. Aldous Snow- Get Him to the Greek... The hard drinking, drug using, rock and roll man who keeps all the stereotypes we know and love of rock and roll.
3. Forest Gump- Forest Gump... "Run Forest Run!" who cant love the do it all guy who just wants to make it with Jenny.

TV
1. Daryl Dixon- The Walking Dead... I just might have to go buy me a crossbow after watching this good ol boy tear through zombies for 3 seasons.
2. Dr Spencer Reid- Criminal Minds... The guy with all the facts that you never thought possible puts a hilarious spin on a otherwise serious show.
3. Stewie Griffin- Family Guy... Love the show or hate the show the idea of a crude talking baby will forever be hilarious. Plus who doesn't love that accent?

Cadus

DTVUSA Member
I completely agree that Neville's story is amazing. He's the backup hero, with not many precedents before him. He literally could've been the main character of a novel series. A misfortuned kid enters a coming of age world and makes a name for himself? He's got the background, personality, and the setup. Odds just happened that he wasn't the hero. It adds so much depth to the Harry Potter series.

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
For me, I just have two that pop to mind and, of course, they are nothing like the ones already suggested. From the world of TV, it's Jess Harper from Laramie and Dr. Daniel Jackson from Stargate SG-1. Jess is just the epitome of the drifter turned hero in the old west, the perfect best friend and Daniel is the heart and soul of humanity.

Cadus

DTVUSA Member
Dr. Daniel was cool, but really all the characters of Stargate SG-1 are awesome. That's one of the rare shows where none of the main characters are flat, and all of their stories are fun to follow. Samantha Carter is cool, especially in the movie where she reverses time.

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
Let's not forget Ricardo Montalbon playing Khan Noonien Singh.

The original series episode with Montalbon was Space Seed and that episode was chosen to reserrect Star Trek (in my opinion) after ST-1 was a bust. So they repeated a real 'bad guy' with a dedicted psychosis and he MADE the second Star Trek Movie and it was awesome: The Wrath of Khan. FIVE STARS! In my opinion the first movie's theater release (version) was lousy but years later, the Director's Version (copy-room floor cuts added) makes it much better.

Here is the IMDB review of the actor: Ricardo Montalban - IMDb

Last edited:

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
The only thing about Sam on SG-1 that bugged me is that she was too wishy washy. The writers kept going back and forth with her, plus she was often a super everything and it got to be a bit much.

Jim, ST:TMP was rushed to the screens and that was part of the problem. Then I remember Gene Roddenberry wanted to really savor that first time we see the Enterprise again. Boy was that a long long stretch in the theaters. I enjoyed the movie much more than others because I had actually read the book first. The book sort of filled in the gaps between scenes that were deleted or omitted in the film. I remember talking to folks at the first showings and telling them about this or that scene/conversation that wasn't shown in the cut and everyone was like "oh, yeah." The director's cut was better. Still, they focused too much on other elements and forgot the interpersonal too much. That came back in ST2. Ah, the good ole days of Trek!

#1- Ferris Bueller
He gets everything he wants and gets off scott-free

#2- Han Solo
Who has every been frozen so bad a$$?

#3- Yoda
Did you see him with a lightsaber

#4- Obi Wan Kenobi
Again with the lightsaber plus an epic death

#5- Jean Luc Picard
The best and brightest captain of the USS Enterprise