Best internet streaming device?

U

Unregistered

There are 5 streaming boxes to choose from now (at least from what I can tell) and my main goal is to get Netflix and other shows and movies from the internet to my TV set. Which should I get? Roku? Apple TV? Boxee? Western Digital? Or a Blu-ray DVD player? Which is the best?

tannchri

DTVUSA Jr. Member
There are a lot more than just five options! I really love my Apple TV, but you can't stream from the Internet directly (you're really restricted to movies on your computer or the iTunes store). I'm also using a Panasonic Blu-ray player and it's a terrible experience for watching Hulu and Netflix.

Really your best bet - in my personal experience - is the Roku. I've heard nothing but good things about it and it's certainly reasonably priced for what you get.

dkreichen1968

Staff member
I currently have two Rokus. Only real downside is no native Youtube. I use Playon to get Hulu free and Youtube. Actually, I use my Blueray player for Youtube and Playon for Hulu free.

n2rj

Staff member
Roku - lots of content including lots of free content. Most flexible of the lot.
Apple TV - focused on iTunes and selected partners, but if you have an iPhone/iPad/Mac you can stream pretty much anything from the web using airplay.

Blu-ray players - usually limited to netflix and a few others.
Smart TVs - about the same as Blu-ray players.

Both the Blu-ray players and Smart TVs tend to be proprietary interfaces. Apple TV is a walled garden but the content they do have is pretty good.

I currently have:

- 1 Apple TV 2
- 1 Apple TV 3
- 1 Roku XS

These boxes support movie rentals at Amazon or iTunes, also Netflix and Hulu+

But if you want or need Closed Captions or Subtitles on movie rentals, you can only get them with the Apple TV and iTunes

If you want Hulu+ with Closed Captions or Subtitles, only the Roku supports them right now.