Best Roof Antenna for Hi VHF and UHF Recomendation

You had time to do this in one day???

Based on my experience, you are deeply, deeply shadowed and that any expectation of reliable reception would be based on a flawed forecast of available signal power due to TVFool's terrain averaging algorithm.
Are you a professional antenna installer? On how many installations? We know the pedigree on the Longley-Rice Irregular Terrain Model. It's not based on a simple average. It uses weighted averages, with years of large emprirical studies to back them up. Pessimistic predictions should be just as common as optimistic. Point of fact, we have examples on this forum of people getting stable 2edge signals from negative NM territory well below KRCW-LP 5 on the chart.

Eh, you don't listen well, do you?
??? How is that comment justified?

Rick

DTV_1

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Yes, it seems that Winegard HD8200U is the only antenna with most complete channel coverage. Not even 2 antenna's provide full spectrum coverage.

Know that KRCW is broadcasting.
url (probably does not have any technical info) http://portlandscw32.com/

Last edited:

DTV_1

DTVUSA Jr. Member
For those that like puzzles...
Interestingly antennaweb is only showing one channel for us, and can you believe it is KRCW 5. Last year, for the same address it showed at least 13 channels. Not sure what has changed? Is Antennaweb’s available channels pretty accurate or can you often get more channels?

My guess is that TV fool is more accurate plot?

Even more interesting...our neighbor's address (100 yards up) in antenaweb is showing 13 channels:

View attachment 2986

Last edited:
Antennaweb is someones wild highly inaccurate fantasy of what might be or might have been. TV fool can be a bit out of date, but at least they try to keep it accurate. In the rural area where I live whats actually on the air changes from day to day. While it is not without flaw TV fool is the best easy to use signal prediction tool we have. If you want to take time to dig a bit deeper rabbitears.info is a good site.
RabbitEars.Info

If rabbitears.info doesn't show any data for channel 5, it's probably not on the air. The guy who runs rabbitears.info actually works for the FCC as his full time job and is usually right on top of stuff.

One more time, with emphasis (maybe you will get the point):

YOU DO NOT NEED AN HD8200 ANTENNA.

Got it?

Last edited:
If rabbitears.info doesn't show any data for channel 5, it's probably not on the air. The guy who runs rabbitears.info actually works for the FCC as his full time job and is usually right on top of stuff.
And he specifically states that he doesn't support analog channels, and that rabbitears.info is incomplete and may even have inaccurate information on those channels. I tried to convince him he should state that clearly on the site, but last time I checked he hasn't followed through.

When you know what you're doing, it only takes a few minutes.
I was involved in a reverse engineering project once. It soaked up 8 months of my life, 12 hours a day, not to mention plenty of lost sleep when the Japanese company who designed the product threatened to sue. Sorry, but looking at a map is not what most people call reverse engineering.

Rick

Here we go. From RabbitEars.Info ...

"RabbitEars does not regularly list analog stations. In a few circumstances, analog stations have been included to make certain features function properly, but the site code is not generally designed for this. The only case in which analog stations may be listed with regularity is when those stations hold a permit to begin digital operation and sources suggest the station may sign on in the near future. Stations which are analog may be listed either as "analog" or as "off the air" if they are included in the main listings. Being listed as "off the air" does not necessarily mean the station is entirely off the air and may indicate that a station is operating as an analog station. No coverage maps or contour maps exist for analog stations and analog stations are not featured in any publicly-available database on RabbitEars.

R.

- I agree with Steve that antennaweb has a reputation for being inaccurate.

- If you are a fan of the Mariners, you will want KRCW.

- If KRCW-LP 5 is still analog, you won't get the KRCW subchannels: This TV, and Antenna TV. However, if they flash-cut to digital before the Sept. 2015 deadline (the FCC extended all flash-cut applications), then the subchannels will probably be there.

- OTOH, if they don't construct the digital translator in time, then LP 5 will go off the air. Another extension seems unlikely.

- There's a fair chance you might get KRCW off the main transmitter on RF33, but it's not certain. That would have both subchannels.

- ProjectSHO89 requested an update for KRCW-LP 5 on avsforum, so maybe we'll get some clarification. I still think it would be worth your while to call the station.

JMHO,
Rick