Best Splitter or Combiner?

U

Unregistered

I'm going to be installing two new antennas on my roof and want to combine them both. Question is, which splitter/combiner should I get? Other question is, are both splitter and combiner one in the same? Thank you for any help.

dkreichen1968

Staff member
My experience is that splitters work as combiners also. Two problems you need to be aware of when combining two antennas. First, when you combine the two antennas (unless they are pointed the same direction) you will lose 1/2 of your signal (3.5dB) since the other half will reradiate off the opposite facing antenna. The second thing is that you set yourself up for multipath interference since the off facing antenna may pick up a secondary signal. Multipath was ghosting in analog, but it confuses digital tuners.

There are two ways to get around the problems mentioned above. One is if there are VHF stations in one direction and UHF stations in the other is to use a UVSJ. The other is to run two cables and use an A/B switch or a receiver with two tuners (or two network tuners).

garyh

DTVUSA Member
My experience is that splitters work as combiners also. Two problems you need to be aware of when combining two antennas. First, when you combine the two antennas (unless they are pointed the same direction) you will lose 1/2 of your signal (3.5dB) since the other half will reradiate off the opposite facing antenna. The second thing is that you set yourself up for multipath interference since the off facing antenna may pick up a secondary signal. Multipath was ghosting in analog, but it confuses digital tuners.

There are two ways to get around the problems mentioned above. One is if there are VHF stations in one direction and UHF stations in the other is to use a UVSJ. The other is to run two cables and use an A/B switch or a receiver with two tuners (or two network tuners).
Trying to understand this. My current setup is two antennas, attic mounted about 2 feet apart vertically, on the same PVC "mast" pole.

Lower antenna, RCA751 pointed at 60'ish degrees to pull in ABC and CBS (both VHF high). ABC is solid, CBS is in and out (see my other recent posts).
Upper antenna, Winegard 7694 pointed at around 90'ish degrees to pull in NBC, PBS, CW, FOX (all UHF). CW is weak, all the others are very solid.

These both terminate into a RCAPREAMP used at the combiner. The PREAMP drives about 45 ft of coax into a single TV.

TV Fool

Am I losing half my signal somehow with this setup??

n2rj

Staff member
Does the preamp have a separate VHF and UHF input? If that's the case you aren't losing any signal. There may be an internal switch you have to set, however, to separate the inputs.

These both terminate into a RCAPREAMP used at the combiner. The PREAMP drives about 45 ft of coax into a single TV.
TV Fool
Am I losing half my signal somehow with this setup??
RCA TVPRAMP1R, correct? Gets 4 out of 5 stars from Mr. Pogi. No, you're not losing half the signal. It may or not be helping the signal with your 45' of coax to one TV. There are no noise figures for this preamp, so no way to tell except trial and error. Probably a close call. But it's helping by combining your VHF and UHF inputs without cutting them in half.

Rick