Best streaming TV player?

U

Unregistered

Which streaming box should I buy? Been reading on here and see Roku mentioned often but I'm not really familiar with that company. Was thinking about getting an Apple TV until one of my friends told me that most of the shows and content on there cost money. Any help would be great.

dkreichen1968

Staff member
Rokus are very flexable boxes with tons of free, as well as pay channels. I have two of them. The one advantage I see for Apple TV is that you can use Airplay to screen shift whatever you are streaming on your Apple Computer. I use Playon to screen shift content to my TV from my computer using my Roku boxes.

Which streaming box should I buy? Been reading on here and see Roku mentioned often but I'm not really familiar with that company. Was thinking about getting an Apple TV until one of my friends told me that most of the shows and content on there cost money. Any help would be great.
In addition to the other info posted here, I wanted to add that most all content on Apple TV is paid, billable to your iTunes account. You can use Netflix, Hulu Plus, and Amazon Instant Video (Amazon Prime) with it as well, but those are all paid streaming services too.

I'm enjoying my Roku, but it would be nice to be able to have as much control over it with my smartphone as the Apple TV does with an iPhone.

summerski

DTVUSA Member
For me I use WD Live as it has a direct connection to the hard drive on my PC and will play/ stream whatever is saved there. Great for playing home videos, movies and music. It also offers Netflix and Hulu among a host of other apps.

As my tuner on my tv is broken, I use Boxee TV to change channels. It's a bit glitchy but works good enough. In my area it allows me to record all major channels my antenna receives. So with its DVR function, it's worth the 100 bucks. This feature is only offered to certain markets. I was just lucky. The DVR function is free (at the moment)..

Good Luck