Question: Best UHF Antenna for Semi-Rural Area

U

Unregistered

I just wanted to get some thoughts as to a good antenna for my area. Here is my TV Fool info:

TV Fool

I don't really care about VHF and I think an outdoor uni-directional is probably the way to go. I don't want an amp unless I really need it, and obviously I don't want to spend more than I have to in order to get the job done well.

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
Guest,

An 8-bay screen-type/bow-tie antenna like a Channel Master 4228HD might capture the stations to your NE as well as PBS-13 from the SW. Another option would be to try a UHF-only (long) Yagi like a Winegard HD-9095.

Is it possible for you to mount your antenna higher than 15 feet above ground? If so, please rerun your antenna survey at that height so we can compare the two predictions.

You are in a pretty favorable area compared to a friend who lives in Old Town: his survey is the worst I have even seen, as in no chance for a single station.

Jim

Last edited:

dkreichen1968

Staff member
You don't want your ABC, MyNetworkTV, Me-TV station?

I'd aim a 4 bay (Channel Master CM4221HD, Antennas Direct DB4, etc.) toward the translators to the northeast, and an Antennacraft Y5713 toward ABC to the southwest and combine the two with a UVSJ. Shouldn't need an amp unless you have more than one or two TVs and/or long cable runs.

nbound-au

The Graveyard Shift
Indeed, Channel lineup without VHF:

K33LW-D
  • 28.1 Fox
  • 28.2 This TV
K49LX-D

• 7.1 PBS
  • 7.2 World TV
  • 7.3 Create
K30LS-D

• 26.1 PBS
  • 26.2 PBS Encore
  • 26.3 Create/Education (also Idaho House)
  • 26.4 World TV (also Idaho Senate)
K18HQ-D - 3ABN is a religious broadcaster.

• 18.1 3ABN
  • 18.2 3ABN Proclaim
  • 18.3 3ABN Latino
  • 18.4 3ABN Radio
  • 18.5 Radio 74
K48DX-D
  • 6.1 NBC
  • 6.2 Weather

You have 2 PBS stations. Fox, This TV (movies) and NBC as general entertainment. 3ABN if you are religious and of similar/same denomination.

As dkreichen mentions, with VHF you will pick up another 3 stations:
KLXY-DT
  • 13.1 ABC
  • 13.2 My Network
  • 13.3 MeTV (not yet operational)

Which should increase the number of general entertainment channels a little.

Theres nothing else nearby worth aiming for. If only to one outlet on a short run, a midsized aerial for both UHF and VHF should be enough. (a 4bay bowtie for example, an 8 is better and can help in case of running to more outlets). A 6 or 10 element VHF yagi should be enough but YMMV (in either UHF or VHF)

Trip

Moderator, , , Webmaster of: Rabbit Ears
Staff member
KXLY has filed for a translator on channel 42 at the same location as those other translators. I suspect it is awaiting Canadian approval.

- Trip

I'd aim a 4 bay (Channel Master CM4221HD, Antennas Direct DB4, etc.) toward the translators to the northeast, and an Antennacraft Y5713 toward ABC to the southwest and combine the two with a UVSJ. Shouldn't need an amp unless you have more than one or two TVs and/or long cable runs.
He could start with the DB4e or 4221HD, then add the Y5713 and UVSJ later if he decides he must have channel 13.

R.