Bill Cosby Returning To NBC To Star In Family Comedy

James

DTVUSA Member
Deadline.com: Cosby working on a new TV project.

"The new comedy will be built around Cosby, who will play the patriarch of a multi-generational family and, like the comedian’s

previous family sitcoms – Cosby Show and Cosby on CBS —

will channel his take on marriage and parenting. Cosby and Werner are meeting with writers on the project, which has been put on off-season development track."

I always liked the original Cosby show. It seemed more normal than a lot of the other sit-coms. The parents were not portrayed as idiots. I get the Simpsons. There is actual wit and humor in the writing. It just seemed that the Cosby script had more intelligence and depth. With Cosby losing his son Ennis to murder I can't imagine him being part of a stupid..er "Stoopit" family trash-fest. Tragedies like that do something to a person. I can't imagine Cosby being part of a fart-fluid-adults r idiots show.

Hopefully it won't spiral downward into typical network fare.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. I thought his show Cosby that he did on CBS in the 1990's was a nice follow-up to The Cosby Show because it was a different feel. This just kind of seems like it would be the 2014 version of the Cosby Show. We will have to see, I guess.

Well, I would watch the "New" Cosby Show just to see what he does with it after reading his various interviews over the past few years. I think it would be pretty neat to see what messages he tries to pass on to the viewership now that he is on the back-end of life, etc!

James

DTVUSA Member
Hmmm..well here is someones guess. Todd Leopold from CNN says...

"So what might a new Cosby sitcom look like?

Probably something like America -- whatever that is these days.

After all, TV families have always reflected our culture , even if they've sometimes been a year or two behind the times.

In the 1950s, "Father Knows Best" showed off a happy nuclear family in Springfield, USA. In the 1960s, "The Dick Van Dyke Show" offered a Kennedyesque household in suburban New York. The 1970s included "The Brady Bunch," about a blended clan for a time in which divorce and second marriages were becoming commonplace. (However, divorce was still stigmatized enough that it was never revealed whether Carol Brady was a widow or a divorcee.)

In the wake of "All in the Family" and producer Norman Lear's other edgy shows, 1970s TV families took on the broader appearance of society. "Good Times" was set in a Chicago housing project; "One Day at a Time" featured a single-mother household in Indianapolis.
But TV is also nothing if not aspirational, says McClain, and Lear's unflinching sitcoms -- exceptional even in their time -- were swept aside in the 1980s.

"Television isn't very reflective of reality," she says. "There's underrepresentation of people of color, underrepresentation of many different types of people. Still today, there are very few Asian-American or Latino people on television."
Even "The Cosby Show," with its upper-class doctor and lawyer living in Brooklyn Heights, was often more aspirational than realistic, she says.

Viewers, however, apparently like aspirational.
Since the '80s, the dominant family shows have been "The Cosby Show" and "Family Ties," "Home Improvement" and "Everybody Loves Raymond," "Two and a Half Men" and "Modern Family." Some have unusual family structures -- "Modern Family," famously, includes a gay couple, an old-young husband-wife combination and several stepchildren -- but they generally feature white clans and take place in well-off circumstances.

Though there have been several sitcoms featuring people of color or folks in working-class circumstances, about the only breakout exception has been "Roseanne," Roseanne Barr's early '90s hit, which regularly reflected genuine working-class circumstances.
"Compared to like the '70s, where you had true diversity -- 'Sanford & Son' and 'Good Times,' people of all walks of life, jobs and bank accounts -- today it's as if we've regressed in some ways," says John Griffiths, president of the Gay and Lesbian Entertainment Critics Association and TV critic for Us Weekly."

Personally I never found TV families to very much like the families I knew. TV is simplified and based often on the least common denominator.
Prime time TV can't be complex or have too many layers of thought. The show will lose audience and lose advertisers.

I'm still not sold. It seems though unless a sitcom is on CBS, they tend to fall more under the Modern Family single camera category. As I'm writing this post, I remember his show The Bill Cosby Show from the early 1970's that had no laugh track and was really gentle humor. It was a really good show but almost forgotten at this point.

James

DTVUSA Member
I actually liked Leave It To Beaver...as a parent of boys. Sure it was idealized but then as now no one wanted to watch a show with the actors dressed like "us" and burning toast. I did appreciate that the parents were not portrayed as idiots. The affection of the parents toward the boys was toned down I guess. I don't think they ever actually said 'I love you" but maybe that was considered too private back then. Liked the subtle humor too.

MarkB43

DTVUSA Rookie
I am looking forward to seeing what they come out with for this series. I saw the Comedy Central Cosby comedy special recently and was impressed how he still seemed to have the same ability to have the audience hang on his every word. Bill was seated the whole time and he had some interesting views on life but he didn't seem to be out of touch with the modern world or anything. If he does I think he is putting on a bit of a show.

I also read that they are working on a reboot of Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids. It will be almost as interesting to see how that series is adapted. The movie was a pretty funny spoof on the series in a gentle way. It would be funny to see if they still have the 70's era get-ups on the 'Kids or if they go for a more Millenial look.

I hope they make "Coz" the star of the new series and get a new crop of actors and actresses to play his family with the sort of smarts and funny realism that was portrayed on "The Cosby Show" without going over the top. I am a fan of Modern Family but some series go too over the top with silliness and pandering to a lower denominator audience. I wonder if the Michael J. Fox series had anything to do with this reboot and if we will see Gary Coleman come out with a series. It would be funny for them to reboot Diffrent Strokes with Arnold as a step-father to a couple of tall white kids or something.

... if we will see Gary Coleman come out with a series. It would be funny for them to reboot Diffrent Strokes with Arnold as a step-father to a couple of tall white kids or something.
Coleman had great comic timing, but I'm afraid a new series is not in the works. Gary fell down a flight of stairs and hit his head a few years ago. Passed away on May 28, 2010. Gary Coleman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

R.

Gary Coleman was really such a tragic story. He seemed like such an angry person as he got older. He is one of the classic examples of the tragedies of some child stars.

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
I'd probably watch the first show just to check it out but I'm sick of today's comedies which for me pale to the comedies of yesterday. They don't make me laugh; they rarely even make me smile. I'm just not into this TV humor of the 2000s. So - I'll check it out, but I am very doubtful that I would become a regular watcher.