Bingeing on Netflix

The play the next episode after 15 seconds or whatever is one of Netflix's BEST but also WORST inventions. How am I supposed to say no to another episode of Breaking Bad if you're making it so easy for me?! I don't even have to do anything, I just sit there and another episode HAPPENS to me.

RIP productivity.

I think a big part of it is Netflix trying to normalize the idea that this is how everyone watches TV now. It really helps promote the binge-viewing model that Netflix sets up for its original series with all episodes being released at the same time, the assumption being that you'll watch them continuously all at once. Since TV DVD box sets came around, series have been made so that you need to watch more than one at a time to be satisfied (hence why you would buy a box set in the first place!) so this is a more extreme version of that kind of marketing, one that makes you think you need to be watching the whole series from start to finish in one go. It also goes back to that old idea of TV as something that traps you in your home and confines you to the couch...but that was in the days of remotes and Netflix has even taken that out of the equation now!

That is a really brilliant observation. I also mentioned this on another thread, but I love how much a way of life Netflix has become. Whenever my friends and I are a broke, our first thought is "Netflix?". Not "Wanna watch a movie?" or "Wanna watch TV?"

Instead, it has very specific connotations of hanging out at a friend's house, maybe drinking a little bit, but having a cheap but fun night in. God, I could write a thesis on all my feelings about Netflix heh

The play the next episode after 15 seconds or whatever is one of Netflix's BEST but also WORST inventions. How am I supposed to say no to another episode of Breaking Bad if you're making it so easy for me?! I don't even have to do anything, I just sit there and another episode HAPPENS to me.

RIP productivity.
It actually depends on what device you are watching on. The versions for phone, Wii, and tablets do NOT have this feature. If youre having trouble turning it off use a different device.

Oh man, I totally forgot that I could watch Netflix on my phone. That's another crazy thing to me. Sometimes I am meeting a friend somewhere, and I find her just sitting on the ground crouched over her phone watching Twin Peaks. Another sign of "the future" I guess.

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member

RIP productivity.
Brilliant, and devious.
Reminds me of this: What one word nearly doubled the consumption of shampoo?

"REPEAT"

FWAmie

DTVUSA Member
LOL, ya I totally understand what you are saying. But I think the worst part is when you are pregnant and you have to go to the bathroom and before you no it. The show has started while you were busy... Its rather annoying. So with me, I normally pause the very end of the last episode, and then turn it back on when I get back. I mean there are have also been instances were I have had to pause the whole show three or four times before I am even actually able to get to the next one because of the major bathroom problem I am having with this pregnancy... And this one is my third... My first one, which is now 5 years old, I never really had it this bad. With my second child, who is now 2, it was annoying. But man, this one out does both of them! But then again it isn't actually surprising, considering that it seems to run in my family were, if its your last kid, they seem to be the most hassle.... Oh well lol. I only have a few more months and then no longer have to worry about it anymore.

Cadus

DTVUSA Member
It actually depends on what device you are watching on. The versions for phone, Wii, and tablets do NOT have this feature. If youre having trouble turning it off use a different device.
So practical.
I, on the other hand, would say that I'm having trouble ungluing myself from a program. Then it hits that I love an excuse to keep watching.

"Well, the next one's already started..."

And boom, another series finished. And the laundry's not done. OH WELL.

FWAmie

DTVUSA Member
So practical.
I, on the other hand, would say that I'm having trouble ungluing myself from a program. Then it hits that I love an excuse to keep watching.

"Well, the next one's already started..."

And boom, another series finished. And the laundry's not done. OH WELL.
Ya, I would do that to, if it weren't for the fact that 1. I am in the "nesting" mode and 2. my husband, I wouldn't exactly say a neat freak, but to me close enough lol. So if it doesn't get done he kinda gets grumpy... But I would have to say, the only good thing about this pregnancy and my husband being the way he is would be the nesting. LOL I normally do not hear anything out of him anymore except "you have to stop doing so much, I don't want you to hurt your self or the baby." Which is actually a nice change compared to the "This needs to be done, That needs to be done." LOL :p

Oh man, I totally forgot that I could watch Netflix on my phone. That's another crazy thing to me. Sometimes I am meeting a friend somewhere, and I find her just sitting on the ground crouched over her phone watching Twin Peaks. Another sign of "the future" I guess.
I guess you have to question whether you would really want to watch such a beautiful-looking show as Twin Peaks on a phone. I've never even been able to enjoy Twin Peaks on a TV. I have to project it on my wall to get the full majesty of it. One of the signs of 'the future' seems to be the option to watch TV in ways that you would never want to, just because you can.

I guess you have to question whether you would really want to watch such a beautiful-looking show as Twin Peaks on a phone. I've never even been able to enjoy Twin Peaks on a TV. I have to project it on my wall to get the full majesty of it. One of the signs of 'the future' seems to be the option to watch TV in ways that you would never want to, just because you can.
Haha, I'll keep that in mind for when I finally watch that show. I have a few more series until I am up to that on my queue :p

Also, I was thinking of getting a projector when I move to a new place in a few months. New apartment = no roommates with TVs :( How does projection hold up next to a normal TV watching experience?

I blame autoplay for my lack of housekeeping haha. I always say "I'll start supper after this episode." You can see how that ends. I mean, if an episode has already started, you can't just pause it, you HAVE to finish it. Right?

Also, I was thinking of getting a projector when I move to a new place in a few months. New apartment = no roommates with TVs :( How does projection hold up next to a normal TV watching experience?
Projection isn't good for basic-looking TV shows (especially older ones) but shows with great direction, strong art design and high production values really stand up on a projector screen. The color and detail of Twin Peaks really comes out when projected big. Any high-end show from the last few years should be fine, since they are made to cope with being displayed on a giant HD screen. It's best-saved for shows you really want to concentrate on, as it's harder to ignore than a TV screen.