Political Discussion: Blair Levin on the National Broadband Plan

dkreichen1968

Staff member
The man behind the National Broadband Plan (Q&A) | Signal Strength - CNET News

"Affordability was a factor for some people. But the larger issue has to do with relevance. Even though there are a lot of low-income people who may not be able to afford multi-channel video (cable TV), there is still a high proportion of people subscribing to the service. And people are not leaving in huge numbers. The big difference between TV and broadband is that to watch TV, you don't have to be literate. The same is true of phone service. You don't need to be literate to use a cell phone, so penetration of those services is higher."

Last edited:

dkreichen1968

Staff member
Based on 16% of the population living in poverty and 90% of people subscribing to pay-TV, that means that almost 7% of the people that subscribe to pay-TV live in poverty. On the other hand, based on Neilson research, 5% of OTA families make over $100,000 per year. Question: Do welfare and food stamp programs subsidize pay-TV? If so, is that a good use of those funds?

Last edited:

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
Do welfare and food stamp programs subsidize pay-TV?
Excellent point. I've got no problem with a "helping hand", however, the use of food stamps (EBT CARDS) to purchase food, and using the money freed up (by not having to pay for food out of pocket) to purchase other things is out of control. At one time, food stamps - the actual paper stamps - were being used as currency at up to 80% of face value. You could even buy street drugs with them! EBT cards decreased that kind of abuse, but has led to another problem; there is no longer any embarrassment whatsoever in buying with "food stamps" aka "EBT". Users therefore are no longer motivated to get off the program by embarrassment. Food stamp users have told me the embarassment of paying with those paper stamps was all the encouragement they needed to hit the pavement and find a job. We wouldn't want to embarass these poor folks with paper food stamps now, would we?

Those that are scamming the system - disability, welfare, etc, when they are truly able bodied feel no guilt about what they do, there's an "entitlement mentality". They have no problem using public funds to pay for their entertainment. Got the cable TV, got the bling, got the latest cell phone, Ipod, Xbox - and still get the food stamps and medicaid.

I know of a number of people here where I am that don't get married but live together, have children together, and both work. They make too much together to qualify for free health care and food stamps, so they don't tell any of the gov't agencies that they live together - and nobody ever verifies this. Until there's some accountability AND CONSEQUENCES, this will not only continue, but increase. Why pay for something that you can get free? Even sounds good to me, if only I could get some disability that didn't keep me from enjoying my life. I am thinking Tourette Syndrome - hmmm. @##%!&^!

There I go, off on a rant - and off topic, sort of - again. Sorry.

Last edited:

dkreichen1968

Staff member
The question becomes, how do you help someone without becoming an enabler? Is government the best way to help people? It certainly is the best way to ensure funding since it has the power to tax, but is it the best institution to administer funds? Lots of private charities, as a condition of giving help, actually set down with the "client" and make them do a budget and cut out the unnecessary expenses before determining the level of help needed. That just plain makes sense!!!

Trip

Moderator, , , Webmaster of: Rabbit Ears
Staff member
Good thing Florida just elected the man whose company was fined $631 MILLION (plus interest) for defrauding Medicare to be their governor!

(His company wound up spending more than $2 BILLION to settle all the civil lawsuits.)

- Trip

Last edited:

dkreichen1968

Staff member
The gov't estimate is "$60 billion to $90 billion a year in Medicare fraud " (and when was the last time you heard an accurate estimate from the government?)
The unfortunate thing is that private charity isn't immune to fraud and graft. (I'm thinking of a particular one whose figurehead was getting a $500,000 salary.) If we could just get the human greed element out of it, the world would be a much better place.

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
500,000 plus perks: "I have to be in the country club, thats where the wealthy donors go"

dkreichen1968

Staff member
500,000 plus perks: "I have to be in the country club, thats where the wealthy donors go"
Meanwhile, back at the ranch, the vast majority of charitable giving is given by people of lower to mid-level income. That is what makes a salary that is 10 to 20 times the average donors income such a travisty.