Blocked ports

Piggie

Super Moderator
It is probably blocked by your own firewall in either your router or the router built in our modem. If that is the case and probably, you need to set up your web server with a static IP on your LAN. The port forward port 80 in your router to that specific IP. If you just open port 80 from the outside world into your LAN, any two bit hacker will get in all your computers.

If this doesn't make sense, try many of the computer networking forums around and they probably have a how to in the FAQ.

CptlA

DTVUSA Member
Hi every one,
Is there any way to unblock port 80 ?
I have my personal web server with a web site so I need port 80 to be opened.
Just following up with what Piggie said, are you running a windows firewall or are you using a router? Both items will can block port 80, but we need to know if you have either or both. While I think about it, are you running any kind of antivirus software like Norton or McAfee?

DeadLine

DTVUSA Jr. Member
are you running a windows firewall or are you using a router?
Yes, every thing from router on port 80 goes to my server.
Both items will can block port 80, but we need to know if you have either or both.
No, they do not.
While I think about it, are you running any kind of antivirus software like Norton or McAfee?
No, I do not have an antivirus installed any where, ether server or desktop.

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
Hi every one,
Is there any way to unblock port 80 ?
I have my personal web server with a web site so I need port 80 to be opened.
Wanted to make you aware, it's a violation of Cox Communications terms of service to operate a webserver through a consumer account. I've seen many of complaints on other forums about Cox cancelling or limiting accounts because of this.

--------------Edit

Last edited:

DeadLine

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Wanted to make you aware, it's a violation of Cox Communications terms of service to operate a webserver through a consumer account. I've seen many of complaints on other forums about Cox cancelling or limiting accounts because of this.
Ohh, what should I do ?!?!

Ps: is comcast & cox the same thing ?

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
Ohh, what should I do ?!?!

Ps: is comcast & cox the same thing ?
Sorry, I posted the link to Comcast and not Cox...both have the same policies though.

5. Servers. You may not operate, or allow others to operate, servers of any type or any other device, equipment, and/or software providing server-like functionality in connection with the Service, unless expressly authorized by Cox.
Policies | Cox Communications

How much traffic do you plan on receiving and what type of website is it? I ran this forum on hostmonster.com ($8.00 a month or so) for 2-3 months with low traffic (150-200 visitors a day) but started hitting their cpu usage limits after a while. Ran a blog on hostmonster.com for 8 months, received upwards of around 3K-4K uniques a day and had no problem....so it really depends on what you're looking for.

Piggie

Super Moderator
Here is what I used to do. I set my home web server on port 81. Then in the router I routed port 80 from the WAN to port 81 only to IP 192.168.0.100, which was the static IP of the machine with the web server. In the lan, I had to use http://192.168.0.100:81 to access the server. From the outside, since I had a static IP and a domain name for it, just my domain, since it appeared to the outside world it was on port 80.

I would say something is wrong with your port forwarding.

Do you have more than one computer on your LAN? and if so can you connect to the server from it? And what address do you use?

DeadLine

DTVUSA Jr. Member
How much traffic do you plan on receiving and what type of website is it?
It's some thing like a personal blog + articles & forum.
Not too many people, but I need to run it on my own server, because I have quite a bit of programs that site needs, they only compile on OpenBSD (that's my host OS)

I would say something is wrong with your port forwarding.
It worked when I had diffrent provider, but cox does block port 80 from out side, so there is no way to use it.

The only thing I could think of is DNS, make from site.com go to site.com:81 ...

Last edited: