Blu-ray looks horrible on my HDTV

U

Unregistered

I just bought a Blu-ray player last week (Sony BDP-S185), and plugged it into my 2 year old HDTV and the picture quality looks really bad. I thought it was supposed to be better than regular DVDs. Is there something wrong with my blu-ray player? I can't imagine this is what it's supposed to look like.

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
I have an LG Blu-Ray player and it is atrocious as far as the coloring goes, and this is on a new HDTV product. I exchanged it and it is better but nowhere near the quality of my ten year old regular DVD player. I do not believe in Blu-Ray.

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
Guest,

My Sony Blu machine is awesome. I have no clue why it would not be equal or better than what you used before. Okay, are you connecting it via coaxial cable or composite (3) wires?

Jim

n2rj

Staff member
I have an LG Blu-Ray player and it is atrocious as far as the coloring goes, and this is on a new HDTV product. I exchanged it and it is better but nowhere near the quality of my ten year old regular DVD player. I do not believe in Blu-Ray.
Mine looks great. My TV sets are calibrated so the colors look realistic. The picture is tack sharp too.

dkreichen1968

Staff member
Okay, are you connecting it via... composite (3) wires?
This would be my guess as far as why it doesn't blow you away. HDMI best, component (Red, Blue, Green plus red and white audio) second best, composite (yellow plus red and white audio) SD only.

Jim,

I don't think there are any blue-ray players with coax out on them... are there?

Dan

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
Jim,

I don't think there are any blue-ray players with coax out on them... are there?

Dan
Dan,

I stand corrected. :hail: It never crossed my mind to use anything other than HDMI and I just checked our Sony Blu ... sure enough, no coaxial option. :thumb:

For the record, we love our Blu-Ray machine with one exception: its remote control sequences (buttons required) to skip ahead of lead-in 'commercials' on DVDs varies from disc to disc which is annoying. An on-screen message "This function is not available on this disc" pops up on about half of the DVDs we watch.

Jim

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
All I can talk about is my experience, of course. It is an HDMI connection to a Plasma TV. The TV's color is perfect. The TV's color with all of my regular DVDs is perfect, but with the Blu-Ray, it doesn't matter what I'm watching -- a newer DVD, an old movie, a cartoon, an old TV show, a newer TV show -- the color is just off. It does have a control where I can change to a user setting, but that setting does not retain. That means every time I tune it in so that it is watchable, I have to reset it. Even with the changes, the color is not near or equal to the other setups. Maybe it's just this player, but since it has gotten good reviews, I have to wonder. <shrug>

n2rj

Staff member
I just got a 46" Samsung recently. how do I calibrate the TV?
You either call an ISF professional or get a calibration kit such as the SpyderTV.

You can also use discs such as video essentials to get a rough calibration. Even Windows Media Center has a calibration feature now.

dkreichen1968

Staff member
Dan,

I stand corrected. :hail: It never crossed my mind to use anything other than HDMI and I just checked our Sony Blu ... sure enough, no coaxial option. :thumb:

For the record, we love our Blu-Ray machine with one exception: its remote control sequences (buttons required) to skip ahead of lead-in 'commercials' on DVDs varies from disc to disc which is annoying. An on-screen message "This function is not available on this disc" pops up on about half of the DVDs we watch.

Jim
I don't think that there were ever any DVD players with coax out. When I got my parents a DVD player, I had to get them a modulator. I wish when I bought them a VCR that I'd spent the extra $10 and got a stereo one. When I bought the VCR I was like, "they don't have a stereo TV, so it doesn't matter", but if I'd bought it in stereo I'd have been able to just hook the DVD player into the VCR rather than getting a modulator. Moral of the story... Always buy the best available.

nbound-au

The Graveyard Shift
coaxial can refer to any of the "av lead" type leads (component, composite), as well as the aerial flylead.

As far as modulated RF outputs go, your not going to find one.
Most Bluray players do have composite and usually component too

scandiskwindows9x

Moderator of DTV Latino
Never happened to me that, my blue ray player work good

I have an blu ray Philips and works great for my needs
Question your TV have XV color system? Perhaps you use the player with XV color on and your TV doesn't supports that so gets chromatic aberrations by the wrong color processing.

normal HDMI 8 bits HDMI XV color system from 16-48 bytes processing color.

Enviado desde mi LG-P500h usando Tapatalk 2

scandiskwindows9x

Moderator of DTV Latino
You either call an ISF professional or get a calibration kit such as the SpyderTV.

You can also use discs such as video essentials to get a rough calibration. Even Windows Media Center has a calibration feature now.

Mine have just by eye calibrated just I know that skin tone must look natural and colors natural, which on plasma TV are easy to get I love how my plasma TV show up the colors, robust the deep ones and brilliant the intense colors and can turn a image of nature shoots looks beautiful

Enviado desde mi LG-P500h usando Tapatalk 2