Question: Blue Ray Door 1, 2 or 3 ?

SWHouston

Staff member
Blu Ray - Door 1, 2 or 3 ?

As in the change to Digital, I rate myself as one of the most avid "Kickers and Screamers", but technology moves on, regardless of my stick in the mud attitude.

So, here comes Blue Ray, and as in many other devices, they ARE varied !

I've taken a short look at what's available, and see cost variations between less than $100 to over $800, unless one wants to get into duplication, and that can run into the thousands.

I understand that the more features, the greater cost, but, what's a reasonable limit ?

I've herd about Hard Drive Capacity...
there's an LG BD950 with 250MB.
Is that enough ?
Too much ?
Does one really need a HdDr with BRay ?

Jim in Seattle, I think I remember you posting somewhere that you had a Sony ?
What model did you get ?
If you had a choice now, would you have selected features you do not presently have ?

What I'm trying to establish here, is what level of BRay I need, I'll certainly drop by Consumer Reports and other sources of information, but that will just be cursory, I need to decide on direction to go first.

Have a good Day ! :)
S.W.

Last edited:

BCF68

DTVUSA Member
Ok first it's blu-ray not blue-ray

Also I think you're confusing blu-ray players with DVRs.

250 MB? I think you mean 250 GB. 250 MB is 1/1000 the amount of 250 GB and isn't very much. Hell my cell phone can use a 16 GB memory card.

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
SW,
I bought a Sony BDP-S350 last year and it is a discontinued model and it was a showroom demonstrator 'scratch and dent' unit, so I got a real break on its price. So far it works perfectly and the best feature, is its remote control also works the TV volume, mute and channels: perfect for 'dualing remotes' with the girlfriend! I don't know what additional features I could use that a newer unit may have. Below are the specs.
Jim

BDP-S350 | Blu-ray Disc™ Player | Sony | Sony Style USA

SWHouston

Staff member
Jim,

Thanks for the information !
It looks like a very nice unit, and I'm glad you got it at a good price.

Seems like most of the name brands are going for about $300, but they do have several features which are not included on the less expensive ones.

I was wondering about...
Your unit has a USB port, and one can plug in Flash Memory (Drive) there.
It says it's for BD Live external memory.
Do you know if that's related to how well the unit displays the DVD on screen, or us that related to some other function ?
IOW: is the picture better if you have a drive plugged in there ?

The Hard Drive on some units, seem to be related to downloading Movies/other from the Internet. But I'm not sure that one wouldn't have other functions above that, like in picture quality. I'm not really interested in doing stuff like Netflix and probably would just use it to play Disks.
So, I wonder if going to the expense of a HD would be worth it ?

S.W.

PS: Sorry about the typos in my previous post.

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
SW,

I can't answer any of your questions. All I did was plug it in, hook up the original cheapie HDMI cable and we watched half a movie. Then, I swapped the HDMI cable to a better one and that improved the picture.

I'll dig out the owner's handbook to see what the purpose/s of adding memory is for: stand by. (wish me luck finding the manual!)

Jim

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
SWHouston, BD Live is not worth it! ;) I've tried it a few times for a few different movies, but it doesn't offer anything valuable "content" wise in my opinion. I think it's more of a gimick than anything. One thing I do like about the USB connection is that it's so easy to download firmware updates.

I really can't comment on picture yet because I've got my Blu-ray drive connected to a 1080i TV. I know, I've got it backwards, but I found a great deal on a Sony a couple months back, now I need to buy a TV.

SWHouston

Staff member
Jim/Aaron,

Please don't go to any trouble over this, I'm sure stuff like that will come out as I continue to investigate.

From what I can tell so far, that BD Live relates only to downloading Movies from online sources, and again, that's something I'm just not interested in doing.

Hard drive seems to be related to the downloading also, and I'm thinking that getting one of the cheaper units, will simply deliver a HQ picture, without having all the bells and whistles.

From just what I gather now, a good check on "reviews" and $150 may just get me able to watch Blu-ray.

S.W.

PS: So far, the USB and an internal LAN Antenna are favs on the features.
Then, I'm not so sure that the LAN is all that necessary, I think you can plug one of those in via a USB ?

Last edited: