Books to Movies....

Have you ever seen a movie based off a book that was actually BETTER than the book? I haven't yet but curious if I'm missing a few good ones out there......

Lily13

DTVUSA Member
I think some people believe Fight Club the movie is better than the book. I'm the weird gal who has only read the book though... So I can't really give you my personal opinion. It's a worthy comparison though, I know that both versions have different endings that greatly change the perception of the whole story.

Funafuti

DTVUSA Member
Movies based on books can be quite good, but I can't think of a single case that I've seen where the movie is better than the book. Reading the book that a movie was based on AFTER seeing the movie can be quite enjoyable -- there's almost always greater depth of story and character to enjoy. Seeing a movie AFTER having read the book is almost always disappointing, even if the movie is good in its own right. It's hard not to constantly compare the two while watching the movie, thinking "why did they leave that out," "why did they leave that in," "why did they change that," etc.

Books seem to be better than the movies, but enjoy watching the movie anyway, AFTER reading the book. Watching the movie first would ruin the reading of the book. My favorites, movies based on books, all classics, are The Grapes of Wrath, Moby Dick, and The Old Man and the Sea.

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
PT-109.

If you read the book and then watch the movie, you will come to a conclusion both were PR (public relation "publications") for JFK. The book follows the movie and the movie follows the book. Absolutely no variations in the story.

I have never seen another book versus movie that even comes close to this. Obviously, I call BS!

Jim

PT-109.

If you read the book and then watch the movie, you will come to a conclusion both were PR (public relation "publications") for JFK. The book follows the movie and the movie follows the book. Absolutely no variations in the story.

I have never seen another book versus movie that even comes close to this. Obviously, I call BS!

Jim
I have a difficult time watching the movie of any book I've read. I remember back in the day The Outsiders was pretty close to the book but again I was a teenager so it may have just been cool to me that they made a movie. They then did "That Was Then This is Now" and I didn't enjoy it all. So, from early on I've struggled with enjoying a movie after reading the book.

SamuelB

DTVUSA Member
It's not better but I like Harry Potter series as put into a movie... Sure, not all events and important dialogues found their places in the films, but what is the most important: atmosphere, got preserved. I just feel like a teenager again when I hear that HP music, and I believe in magic!

Funafuti

DTVUSA Member
I totally agree, I thought the Harry Potter movies were wonderfully well done. About as well done as film versions of those stories could be, but still they don't match up with the books.