Bookshelf speakers

scandiskwindows9x

Moderator of DTV Latino
could try if you wish the monitor audio BX 2 series i do not know how much cost there but just when you listen them will fall in love , in fact those speakers won the awrd on what hi fi of best speakers of the year

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
I recently received a record player as a gift and I'm looking for bookshelf speaker recommendations. A $100 or less if possible but I'll spend more for quality.
Steve,

Is it a 'record player' or is it a turntable? If it doesn't have a pre-amp and an amplifier included, speakers do you no good! It you want bookshelf speakers for anything, look on your local Craigslist -- sometimes there are real treasures that show up there.

Jim

James

DTVUSA Member
More info needed! I have to assume it is more than a turntable for the question to be asked...but you know about assumptions. Fringe?:p $100 is REALLLLLY low-balling for speakers unless you go used and even at that. If the "record player" has speaker jacks like these...

it has an amplifier. The speakers will be hooked up to these. I am sure the OP knows this. These are "line out" connections meaning the signal is already amplified. It is helpful to know what the amp output is to better match the speakers. No need to buy speakers you cannot drive with the record player. So here you would shop for unpowered speakers.

Check these out...
Amazon.com: Sony SS-B1000 5-1/4-Inch Bookshelf Speakers (Pair): Electronics

Amazon has some really inexpensive Sony speakers that are in your starting budget.

If the OP cares to provide more info we can really make some knowledgeable recommendations.

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
Steve,

Is it a 'record player' or is it a turntable? If it doesn't have a pre-amp and an amplifier included, speakers do you no good! It you want bookshelf speakers for anything, look on your local Craigslist -- sometimes there are real treasures that show up there.

Jim
I picked up a few nice pairs of speakers at my local thrift store - just inspect the cones for damage and age, and try them out in the store if possible. I think I paid about $5-$10 a pair for them. I also find a lot of decent older recievers / amps there. People get rid of them because they don't have digital audio / HDMI connectors. I have a nice Pioneer receiver in my garage that I got from a dumpster that is in perfect condition, too.

In fact, I will be moving soon and will have to sell that receiver, a CD changer, and one of the speaker pairs at a garage sale next month.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G Questions and Answers 0