Bounce TV Celebrates One Year of Success

dkreichen1968

Staff member
The nation's first-ever broadcast television network designed for African-American audiences -- will turn one on Sept. 26 and its first year on-the-air has been overwhelmingly successful, with accelerated growth and expansion among station groups and distribution, advertisers and viewers alike.

In just 12 months on the air, Bounce TV:

Is already seen in 80% of African American homes, 17 of the top 20 African American markets and over 60% of U.S. television households.

Can be seen in New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Atlanta, Washington, D.C., Dallas, Philadelphia, Houston, Cleveland/Akron, Baltimore, Milwaukee, Charlotte, Cincinnati, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Kansas City, Hartford/New Haven, Norfolk, Dayton, West Palm Beach, Birmingham, Memphis, Louisville, among other markets. Bounce TV will arrive in Detroit, Phoenix, Minneapolis and Orlando within the next 10 days (See below).

Acquired hundreds of motion picture rights from most major studios, including: The Walt Disney Studios; Paramount Pictures; Miramax; MGM Domestic Television Distribution; NBCUniversal Domestic Television Distribution; Sony Pictures Television; Warner Bros. and Lionsgate.

Produced three original series; carried live sporting events; celebrated Black History Month with a line-up of powerful documentaries; aired special memorial tributes to African American entertainment figures Whitney Houston, Donna Summer and Don Cornelius and more.

Has agreements with most major television station groups and advertisers have embraced the network.
Read More: Bounce TV Celebrates 1st Birthday, Grows To 80% Of African American Homes | Shadow and Act

One of the headlines said that Bounce is already profitable. It appears that Bounce, like THIS and Me-TV is here to stay, unlike some other multicast channels who face an uncertain future (The Cool TV). I'm glad to see their success, but hope that the multicast industry in general has a bright and prosperous future.

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
So sad to see that some of the multicast channels are in trouble. I think the problem is more one of monetizing their content than the content or lack of viewers.

I'll call it "badvertising", for lack of a better word. For example, The Cool TV should be advertising music download companies (iTunes, Amazon MP3, etc), concerts, and music equipment. It's actually kind of funny to watch TV content aimed at kids (cartoons) and see ads for life insurance, diabetes an colostomy supplies, and other "I've Fallen, and I can't get up!" products. Well, it would be funny, except I know that this poorly targeted advertising is going to be the death of a few multicast networks.

dkreichen1968

Staff member
Yes, one of the big things with "The Cool TV" is that they are totally dependant on national "DR" (direct response) advertising. Advertising rates for "DR" advertising are based on the response the advertiser gets, not based on the ratings of the programming (which generally isn't being measured). You will notice that all of this type of advertising has a phone number to call, or a website to visit. If the advertiser likes the response they buy more, and the rate is then market driven. So, "The Big Heavy Rock Hour" brought to you by "Hoveround" just doesn't cut it. On the other hand I've started to see more advertisng on "The Cool TV" for "Treasure Island" and "Vegas.com" which is much more in tune with the target audience, but as "The Cool TV" loses coverage because of their failure to pay (on time or the agreed amount) for air time it's going to become harder and harder for them to sell national direct response advertising.

One of their difficulties is that they are on a "cash" basis with the stations rather than a "cash plus barter" basis with the stations. "Cash" means they must pay the full cost of the airtime. "Cash plus barter" means that the station takes advertising spots in trade for part of the cost of air time. Me-TV is a "cash plus barter" channel. In that model the station is at least getting paid for their own spots even if the national channel has "cash flow problems."