Breaking Bad ENTIRE Series now on Netflix

So all my opinions aside, Netflix has now added the entire series of Breaking Bad to its' instant que. It is important to note AMC has an exclusive deal with Netflix, and if you want to stream Breaking Bad, The Walking Dead, Mad Men, Comic Book Men, or even CSI: Miami, that is your only option to view streaming content for these programs. Starting in 2008, Breaking Bad stars the dad from Malcom In the Middle, Bryan Cranston, in the longest story short as a Meth producer/dealer.

Basically a male version of Weeds (starring Marie-Loiuse Parker) without any of the humor or feminine charm, Breaking Bad was the drug-fueled AMC show that helped turn a mediocre classic movie channel become a major player in primetime television. Mad Men, Walking Dead, and Breaking Bad have all dominated the Emmy awards for the past 5 years. Now that they have become available Netflix should you invest the time and effort to follow this show from beginning to bitter end. I have my own opinions but I will just present the show in an objective light, and you (the reader) should make your own decision, or even better just watch it yourself and make an honest judgement. Nobody's opinion is more important than your own.

BREAKING BAD

Almost shut-down during the WGA strike of 2007, Breaking Bad set off for an initial 9 episdes, only to be shortened to 7. Telling the story of Walter White a high school science teaching diagnosed with an uncurable, and inoperable form of lung cancer. Pairing with a former student of his, Jesse, Walter begins to produce and sell a new strain of Meth to support treatments that will prolong his life and provide a solid support for his pregnant wife and child.

As you can already imagine Walter's foray into the drug world is fueled with problems. And this is where the plot becomes an almost exact copy of Weeds (except with Meth instead of Marijuana). He starts crossing on the territory of local dealers and law-men, forms an alliance with a major Mexican cartel and druglord to gain control of distribution in his area, and ostracize his friends and family along the way.

Bryan Cranston is an incredible actor, and if his appearances on SNL have proved anything, it's that he has very few (if any) limitations when it comes to portraying a character. If there is any one reason why someone should give Breaking Bad a chance is just to witness the character of Walter White. Leading a quiet, respectable life and also claiming all Meth sales in New Mexico Walter (Cranston) never breaks character, and sells the story with the most convincing role of his career (with the exception maybe of Drive). Aaron Paul, his former student turned partner, does not carry his presence on-screen in any comparable manner. While his distrust and opinions towards Walter change, Paul's character Jesse reveals his incredibly shallow personality and lack or charisma. Bob Odenkirk (if you don't recognize the name do yourself a favor and look him up he is brilliant) makes too scarce of appearances, as his character is the only one that stands next to Cranston's Walter with natural ease.

The pacing of the story is somewhere between the eventless, boring drag-on that is Walking Dead, and the multi-plots and captivating characters that is Mad Men. At times it progresses much too slow considering how Meth labs in the real world either get busted or explode almost immediately, especially on this large scale of production. While not as boring and tedious as Game of Thrones or Walking Dead, this show does however include many episodes that do not stand alone, and require weeks of dedication before any pay-off. This story structure becomes very tired and reptitive, and the writing seems extremely lazy at times.

Winner of 10 Primetime Emmys and 2 Golden Globes, Breaking Bad is received well by critics, but critics ALWAYS examine a show based on established guidlelines, and how well it follows traditional production techniques and story devices. This is the same reason most people have never even heard of Oscar nominees in the past 10 years. There are two forms of shows and movies being made today. The ones that are inspired, unique, creative, and captivating; and those that are made to please the critics and win awards. This was clearly made for the latter. If you want to involve yourself in a truely captivating series, skip this and start on Hoouse of Cards, or even Lost. Breaking Bad is certainly not the worst show in recent memory, but is undeserving of the praise it has received.

MY RATING: 5/10

James

DTVUSA Member
I am watching the entire series again before I watch the final season. I am noticing a lot of details the second time around that I did not catch at first.

James;bt1627 said:
I am watching the entire series again before I watch the final season. I am noticing a lot of details the second time around that I did not catch at first.

It definitely had a lot of sybolism, but I felt a lot of it was lost. With things like the green light in The Great Gatsby or Rosebud in Citizen Kane, the symbol was very defined and enhance the story and made a thrilling plot-line, whereas I felt a lot of the symbolism here was completely useless and misused (aka the teddy bear)...

CaliTVguy;bt1640 said:
Thanks for the share. I've never really gotten into Breaking Bad, but may start watching it now that I can watch all of them on Netflix!

It is an investment of your time, just like Lost or Star Trek: TNG would be, but if this is your style of drama, and you enjoy mvies where the "hero" proves to have questionable morals but you still love them (Clockwork Orange, Ferris Bueller, etc...) then it's worth a watch. If you want a more well-rounded and compelling story about a regular person turned dealer do yourself a favr and watch Weeds. It was far better than Breaking Bad and there is only 1 bad actor I can think of in the entire run of Weeds, but Aaron Paul (a LEAD in Breaking Bad) is just an absolutely terrible actor.