Breaking News! Netflix Hastings says NO-Not interested in live sports or devices

James

DTVUSA Member
Just in from Cnet!

Reed Hastings says Netflix has no interest in making its own video-streaming device like Amazon's Fire TV, nor will it pour money into licensing live sports.

The read is really fascinating. Look who WAS involved in some streaming devices. Did you know?

Read Here

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
Netflix would have to pay a huge sum of money for sports - and that cost would be passed on to consumers, even those of us who don't want it. ESPN is the largest single content expense for cable providers, and people who don't watch subsidize those who do.

tmcmeekin

DTVUSA Member
Yep, I remember when the original Roku WAS the Netflix streaming device. And I'm not surprised they have no intentions at developing new devices, all the other device manufacturers know they are expected by consumers to put Netflix on every device as it is. Just because a company is good at software doesn't mean their hardware will sell, and vice versa.

As for sports, I'm glad to know they aren't adding it, for the reason Mr. Pogi says - I don't watch sports and don't want to subsidize others. That's a big reason why I don't have cable (if I could buy a la carte I would) and if Netflix raised prices even more to add more services I don't use, then I'd be likely to cancel.

It really doesn't make sense from a tech standpoint to stream live sports events like that, because what you'd have is too many people trying to access it and crashing the servers - like what happened with HBO Go when this season of Game of Thrones premiered.

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
As I recall, when NBC made the Olympics available online to anyone (before Comcast owned NBC) there were many problems with people being unable to watch due to overloaded servers. Another of the problems with live sports online is that there is a lot of motion, and balls / pucks, etc are small - and that requires a lot of bandwidth to play HQ video smoothly and also avoid buffering. Unfortunately, US internet speed lag behind most developed nations and is quite expensive at those speeds.

As far as anyone doing live sports online, ESPN has most of the major sports locked up. They would jeopardize their deals with pay TV providers if they allowed online access without a pay TV subscription (Anyone else see the redundancy here?). So I don't see sports fans being able to watch much online without also paying for cable or satellite.

James

DTVUSA Member
I am surprised someone has not come along with an all sports all the time device. I am not a sports fan by today's standards. I have noticed that when I visit in homes that are fans...the remote almost overheats from the constant switching channels at every commercial.