British Accent Off Screen?

misha

DTVUSA Member
I heard from my mom, who also is a big addict of this show, that when the actor of House if off screen, he has a British accent. I find that quite peculiar because he seems to speak good/fluent American accent on screen.

pghmyn

DTVUSA Member
After watching this show, I would have never guessed that House had another accent besides the one he spoke with in the show. He seems so natural with what he speaks that I had no reason to think otherwise.

misha

DTVUSA Member
After watching this show, I would have never guessed that House had another accent besides the one he spoke with in the show. He seems so natural with what he speaks that I had no reason to think otherwise.
Yeah, I know, it's hard to believe that for me as well. Now that I have heard this rumor, I'm going to be listening closer every time I watch this show on TV. There has got to be something that throws this off if he does.

casey

DTVUSA Member
It doesn't surprise me that something weird like this would happen in a show like this. Many actors go through months of learning a new dialect and accent for a role. Just so happens that House may have done this for his show.

Ricardo

DTVUSA Member
Hugh Laurie had a fine career going before House, and he's British, which explains the accent.

I agree that he does a great job on the American accent.

Have you checked him out in Blackadder or the comedy duo he was in? Sorry I forget the name of that one. He was also in the remake of Flight of The Phoenix and the TV movie about Judy Garland from a few years ago. I think it was called Me And My Shadows.

d3stiny

DTVUSA Jr. Member
preparing for ones role is tough well except for those really good at it, it may spend just half of his effort to learn something new to fit the character his portraying.

pghmyn

DTVUSA Member
Hugh Laurie had a fine career going before House, and he's British, which explains the accent.

I agree that he does a great job on the American accent.

Have you checked him out in Blackadder or the comedy duo he was in? Sorry I forget the name of that one. He was also in the remake of Flight of The Phoenix and the TV movie about Judy Garland from a few years ago. I think it was called Me And My Shadows.
I just still couldn't imagine what it must be like to make it in a show with a completely different accent. The British and American accents are so different that it must take a long time to get it that good.

Hugh Laurie is a great actor, and I love his work both in House,MD as well as his work in British comedy shows such as BlackAdder. A lot of people don't seem to realize he's british because of House, but those same people probably never saw any of his other work.