Broadband Plan Concerns Christian Broadcasters

dkreichen1968

Staff member
From The Article: "A 360-page document entitled "The National Broadband Plan" calls for television broadcasters to voluntarily give up their channels, or better known as "spectrum." In turn the Federal Communication Commission (FCC) would redistribute the spectrum to larger communication companies so they can provide affordable broadband access throughout the U.S...

...Many of the organizations that could be forced to give up spectrum are small, independently owned broadcast properties that provide Christian and ethnic programming. Warren Trumbly, CEO of San Francisco-based KAXT-TV says if the plan comes to fruition, the reallocation of spectrum would limit the efforts of Christian broadcasters."

Broadband plan concerns Christian broadcasters (OneNewsNow.com)

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
As out of character as it is for me, I have to agree with the religious cults. The little guys will be forced out, and only the big, wealthy cults (Catholic, LDS, etc) will be on the air.

And when the spectrum is decreased, the only ethnic programming will be several channels of Spanish language programming.

n2rj

Staff member
Oddly enough I do not see any Catholic programming OTA. Most of it appears to be evangelical churches. The only Catholic programming I see on TV is EWTN and that is strictly cable here.

Let's see... in this market we have Daystar, TBN (largest O&O network in the US), Family Radio and GCN. None of the above are Catholic. Most are evangelical. Family Radio is... ummm I dunno. But they think the world will end in May.

Trip

Moderator, , , Webmaster of: Rabbit Ears
Staff member
Oddly enough I do not see any Catholic programming OTA. Most of it appears to be evangelical churches. The only Catholic programming I see on TV is EWTN and that is strictly cable here.

Let's see... in this market we have Daystar, TBN (largest O&O network in the US), Family Radio and GCN. None of the above are Catholic. Most are evangelical. Family Radio is... ummm I dunno. But they think the world will end in May.
There are a very few Catholic stations out there OTA. EWTN is available OTA in Scranton PA on an LP, for instance, and I think KNXT in Visalia CA is Catholic. There's also some Spanish-language Catholic subchannels and/or content on otherwise-PBS-affiliated KMBH in Brownsville TX.

- Trip

n2rj

Staff member
There are a very few Catholic stations out there OTA. EWTN is available OTA in Scranton PA on an LP, for instance, and I think KNXT in Visalia CA is Catholic. There's also some Spanish-language Catholic subchannels and/or content on otherwise-PBS-affiliated KMBH in Brownsville TX.

- Trip
Right. I do know that there are a few RC stations out there but the vast majority of Christian broadcasting is pentecostal/evangelical and not Catholic. Compare the few examples you cited with TBN which is the third largest OTA network in the USA, ahead of CBS, Fox and NBC respectively. TBN airs some programming from Catholic ministries but they are by no means a Catholic channel. The vast majority of their programming is from protestant and full gospel churches.

Remember that it is only recently that the RC church has begun adopting technology. I remember even in the 80s some RC churches didn't even have PA systems. In stark contrast the pentecostal churchI used to go to with my aunt in the 90s had 3 hour televised services, cassette tapes and later CDs of all of the sermons. And let's not forget the LDS church with their huge theater like mega churches where as a member you are required to tithe 10% of your earnings.

Last edited:

dave73

DTVUSA Member
Right. I do know that there are a few RC stations out there but the vast majority of Christian broadcasting is pentecostal/evangelical and not Catholic. Compare the few examples you cited with TBN which is the third largest OTA network in the USA, ahead of CBS, Fox and NBC respectively. TBN airs some programming from Catholic ministries but they are by no means a Catholic channel. The vast majority of their programming is from protestant and full gospel churches.

Remember that it is only recently that the RC church has begun adopting technology. I remember even in the 80s some RC churches didn't even have PA systems. In stark contrast the pentecostal churchI used to go to with my aunt in the 90s had 3 hour televised services, cassette tapes and later CDs of all of the sermons. And let's not forget the LDS church with their huge theater like mega churches where as a member you are required to tithe 10% of your earnings.
I agree to an extent that christan stations would be forced off the air, though at the same time, I wouldn't miss them. TBN is on a full power on a signal that covers 2 markets (parts of the Chicago & Peoria markets), Daystar on a low power station in Chicago, First United is on both their own analog low power, plus a subchannel of full power WJYS. WJYS doesn't completely qualify as a religious station, as they still air a lot of infomercials. Then in NW Indiana, LeSea owns 3 low power stations (one in Gary, another in Valparaiso, & one in Chesterton with the Gary station recently converted to digital).

Now if you think the LDS is bad at making their members give 10% of their income to the church, First Baptist Church of Hammond Indiana requires 25% of your income to be a member of their church. Family Christan Center of Munster IndianaI believe is somewhere between 15 & 25%, as their church is also extravegant (even more so than FBC of Hamond).

n2rj

Staff member
Trip said:
Right, but you said you don't see "any" OTA. I disproved that. ;)

- Trip
No you didn't disprove anything. Read again. I said that *I* don't see any catholic stations ota which is true. There are none here that I receive. We have several religious stations and none are catholic.

As you did point out, there are a few RC stations in the entire country but they are not dominant as MrPogi implied. I can understand also why he thinks The LDS church is dominant as a broadcaster. In Utah it may be true. It's not true for the rest of the country.

If christian stations are forced to surrender their spectrum, we will still be left with mostly evangelical/Pentecostal/full gospel christian tv. The few catholic stations may or may not stay but ewtn seems to be happy as a cable station in most markets anyway.

dkreichen1968

Staff member
It seems to me that Daystar (Lucifer in Hebrew) and TBN have a lot of money. Primarily because health, wealth, and prosperity for your $88 seed gift sells quite well. What frustrates me is that people who teach what the Bible actually says don't tend to fair as well. And, Harold Camping of Family Radio... He just went totally off his rocker.

I enjoy the entertainment programming on Lesea, and the Haverst Show has a fairly decent alternative news broadcast, but Cross Examine with Del Tacket is the only teaching show I have any use for on their network. I'd like to actually end up with a sound minded Christian network, but that may just be a crazy dream.

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
As a duly ordained minister of The Universal Life Church, I will gladly promise you health, wealth, and prosperity for your $88 seed gift to start my own TV station.

As prophet (or, is it "PROFIT"?) of the Church of No Ma'am, I translated the word of God, which I discovered on a "Garbage Plate" at Nick Tahoe's in Rochester, NY at 3 am after a heavy drinking session. I decoded the words of God using my "Ranger Bob Secret Decoder Ring". God told me "Everybody must drink alcohol". We don't have alter boys, we have cocktail waitresses. We don't have tithing, we have "tipping" - it's 15%, but it's voluntary. We don't support polygamy, in fact, we don't approve of monogamy, either.

This is our holy symbol:
4221.gif
And Al Bundy is God.

Last edited: