Broadcast TV Wirelessly?

U

Unregistered

Can I broadcast my cable TV wirelessly to another room instead of adding a whole new cable outlet? It would be nice if I could do that for a couple of rooms actually for my kids.

Jim1348

DTVUSA Member
Yes, there are ways to do it legally. Are you looking for something like this? MyWirelessTV Multi-Room Wireless HD Video Kit from Actiontec There are other ways, too. It just sort of depends on what equipment you have and how you want to do it. I have a SlingBox PRO-HD and, in essence, if I watch in another room on an Android device I am, en effect, broadcasting wirelessly. Honestly, I haven't paid real close attention to most of the other solutions because I prefer to run cable, when possible.

There are ways but I have my doubts it would be legal to do it because it would make you a cable system rebroadcaster.
Naw. Not with a sling box. Nobody else can see it unless they're using your equipment -- exactly the same situation as when someone visits your home and watches your TV or your DVR. We're not going to make that illegal now, are we?? ;) You're only a broadcaster if you charge admission.

Rick

Tim58hsv

DTVUSA Member
I've always wondered if the broadcasting I use to do was illegal. Didn't do it often but it was fun and for the record, one of my first post here was about broadcasting your own signal from home.

The way I did it was basically reverse engineering. Just connect a vcr's "out to tv" cable to an "antenna in" input on a distribution amp or a pre-amp. This way the amp thinks the signal it's getting is from an antenna. Then you hook up the "out to tv" cable from the amp to an antenna and you're broadcasting.

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
Tim,

This is a repeat post here: In 1979 the Seattle Super Sonics won the NBA Championship. I had a friend who worked late hours and came home after 7 PM to find his driveway blocked by people watching the series of games (free, OTA) at his neighbors homes.

Having to park his car a block or more away, he resolved the parking problem by lighting up his RF signal generator and he fed it to his rooftop Yagi that he rotated toward the "offending" neighbor partier. He dialed in a sub-frequency (harmonic) that wiped out his own (monitor) tv set and then watched an exodus of partiers from his neighborhood.

Jim

PS I guess I should add "Back in the analog days ... "

Last edited:
I've always wondered if the broadcasting I use to do was illegal. Didn't do it often but it was fun and for the record, one of my first post here was about broadcasting your own signal from home.

The way I did it was basically reverse engineering. Just connect a vcr's "out to tv" cable to an "antenna in" input on a distribution amp or a pre-amp. This way the amp thinks the signal it's getting is from an antenna. Then you hook up the "out to tv" cable from the amp to an antenna and you're broadcasting.
Tim, I like your creativity, but I guess I should clarify. When I wrote "You're only a broadcaster if you charge admission," it was meant to apply strictly to that situation where people MUST use your physical equipment to see the copy -- similar to loaning a book to a friend.

Your situation made me nervous. Might need a license from the FCC and a contract with the copyright holders. Not sure how many kW your station cranked out ... might play a part ... IANAL. :huh:

Rick

tannchri

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Depends on the TV service provider you go through. Many these days have wireless capabilities built-in to their DVRs. AT&T has their Total Home DVR for U-verse customers that lets you wireless access TV from any room in your house with a receiver. I believe Verizon and Time Warner also have similar technology, but I'm not sure.

n2rj

Staff member
Nobody mentioned it, but you can actually wirelessly extend your cable TV service to another room via wi-fi. You'll need windows media center, a cablecard tuner such as the Ceton InfiniTV or HDHomeRun Prime and an XBOX 360 or Ceton Echo extender with wifi.

You can also use a HDHomeRun prime cablecard tuner connected to your wifi router and a client device that works with it without having to use a htpc and media center. In fact you can even use your iPad with the HDHR Prime. There are two options for this - one is an official HDHomeRun app in the App store from Elgato and there is a jailbreak app from cydia called InstaTV.

It works, but you'll really need N and likely N on 5GHz for it to work properly. I tried it on 2.4GHz N and it works over short distances, but I live out in the countryside without a lot of neighbors to interfere with my signal. For the iPad you may not need as much bandwidth because I believe the video is already converted to MPEG4 and streamed via HLS to the iPad. (don't quote me on this, I am not 100% sure).

Both options require a CableCARD from your service provider. The good news is that all cable TV providers by law offer them, even Verizon FiOS has them. IPTV such as U-Verse and Prism from CenturyLink do not. The bad news is that most cable providers charge a rental fee for them which can be anyway from $2 to $6 per month.