Broken antenna

Tim58hsv

DTVUSA Member
I have a U4000 which is currently not in use (It's sitting in the garage) and somehow one of those blue plastic(?) pieces that holds the driven element in place is broken. If possible I'd like to try and glue it back together but I don't know what kind of material it's made of so I don't know what type of glue would work best. A search on the web proved futile so does anyone know what kind of plastic or PVC it's made of or if it can be glued back together?

Thanks.

Tim58hsv

DTVUSA Member
Thanks for the advice but I don't believe super glue will do it as I tried it on another antenna several years ago and it wouldn't hold. There is a website that list the best glue for plastics (Stick to it! A Guide to the Best Glue for Plastic)
and they're saying JB Weld PlasticWeld holds everything but Teflon. I also read somewhere that a lot of companies don't want you to know what type of plastic they use because they don't want people repairing it when it breaks. They want you to buy new.

I just want to take down the MXU59 and replace with the old U4000 since the MXU picks up nothing that the U4000 can't get and the MXU is so big and IMO looks kind of tacky. :)

Tim58hsv

DTVUSA Member
So I ended up using model airplane (car, boat, ETC) glue and the stuff seems to work. Put the glue on and clamped it for two days and it seems like it's a solid bond. The U4000 is now back up on the mast and the MXU59 has been taken out of commission and now sits in the back of the garage. It looks so sad. :)

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
Unused antennas are always sad. You should find it a new home so it (and its new owner) can be happy again!

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
So I ended up using model airplane (car, boat, ETC) glue and the stuff seems to work. Put the glue on and clamped it for two days and it seems like it's a solid bond. ...
Tim,

Did you use a genuine "Styrene Cement" like Testor's in the orange and white tube or the newer 'child-safe' variety in the blue and white tube? I have a 16-Bay Hoverman with the same plastic problems you had. Thanks in advance,

Jim

Tim58hsv

DTVUSA Member
It actually was Testors in the orange and white tube.

After taking the clamp off I put a bit of pressure on the plastic and it didn't break so I think it's good to go and up it went.

I have a 16-Bay Hoverman with the same plastic problems you had. Thanks in advance,

Jim
The 16 bay must be one of those Antennacraft Hoverman antennas? I had the 4-bay version and it picked up signals slightly better than the Antennacraft U4000. Problem was whatever kind of plastic they used was way more brittle than the plastic they used on their U4000 model. The plastic looked the same but would break way easier than it would with the U4000 version. It surprised the hell out of me that the superior Hoverman designed antennas were made so cheaply.

Last edited:

Tim58hsv

DTVUSA Member
This is interesting.
Re-looking at the glue link posted above, they list Testors as being the worst glue for plastics. Reading the comments below the article, the very first post explains the reason for Testors ranking so low is because it's made for a type of plastic known as Polystyrene. The same type of plastic used in most models.

Now Googling "Polystyrene & TV antennas" brings up this site...

http://literature.puertoricosupplier.com/006/EB6046.pdf

True, they're indoor antennas but their bases are all made from Polystyrene, which is exactly the kind of plastic Testors was made to fix. Not sure, but it seems very possible the spacers on outdoor TV antennas would also be made from the same kind of plastic.

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
... The 16 bay must be one of those Antennacraft Hoverman antennas? I had the 4-bay version and it picked up signals slightly better than the Antennacraft U4000. Problem was whatever kind of plastic they used was way more brittle than the plastic they used on their U4000 model. The plastic looked the same but would break way easier than it would with the U4000 version. It surprised the hell out of me that the superior Hoverman designed antennas were made so cheaply.
Tim,

My 16 Bay is the same AntennaCraft Hoverman antenna you had, 'times' four. Thanks for the heads-up about the difference in the plastic parts. You're right, the plastic supporting the reflector elements is very brittle and I had assumed AntennaCraft used the same blue plastic on all of their antennas.

Although its a future project, I intend to fabricate replacement element fixtures for it. They will be solid, rather than thin hollow blocks. I'll probably replace the reflectors with better quality tubing and check the Canadian Forum to see if there are any suggested improvements.

Thanks, Tim!

Jim