Brrrr It's Cold!

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
Okay, so I don't live in Alaska. I'm in California. You know -- sunny, warm California? Well, we've been below freezing for a couple of nights and it even snowed on my dogs when I put them out the other night. It just doesn't snow where I live -- maybe once a decade.

Brrrr -- it's cold and I want my warmth back. :]

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
Orrymain,
The last three nights in Seattle the temperatures have droppped into the teens (low twenties for me, since I am near Puget Sound). I forgot to bring my hummer-feeders inside last night and they froze solid, so our friends had to wait an hour for their breakfast. Now Stormbotch on the eyeball network says there is a chance for snow this weekend. Friday, EVs Tuna-Tenna is supposed to arrive and there in no way I'm going to test it until this cold-snap breaks. Also, I am not looking forward to seeing my next natural gas and electric bills. Waaaaaa! :Cry:
Jim

PS It must be do to "Global Warming" ...

Dude, where's my Global Warming? i'm freezing my tail off here!

28 degrees and dropping into the teens, possibly single digits by tomorrow night. winds in excess of 50MPH. been this way for 5 years. it only gets colder each year. i said awhile back that my deer Daisy changed to her winter coat in mid-august (normal is around october) and that means bad winter. always trusted nature to predict weather (not the groundhog crap though)

I think the idiots in Washington got it backwards. if it's not Polar Warming, (since the only significant change is in the north pole) it may be Global Cooling the exact opposite the Global Warming.

Even so, it's been so misconstrued as human's fault. that's not true. while we don't always treat our planet nicely, we cannot cause, nor stop Global Climate Change of any kind. it's happened either way since Earth existed. long before we existed. it killed off the Dinosaurs and caused our Ice Age. it's quite possible we're on the harbinger of a second Ice Age.

Piggie

Super Moderator
Been toasty here with that huge low sucking warm air out of the Gulf and Caribbean. Near record high temps for the last 2 days. So it's not cold here.

Except for brief cold fronts we have had a very mild winter here. Though it's supposed to get to 50 tomorrow night, which really is our normal low for N Central Florida.

If you want to see climate warming, go to Australia, or Upper Mongolia. Or even south or central Florida that have had mild winters for 10 years or more.

Here in North Central FL, we would get many nights below 28 (where plant damage and hose damage occurs so we have to deal with more than turning up the heat). The last 10 to 12 years it only makes it below freezing a few times a year and down in the 20's at the most twice a year.

It's been warm so long here people have fruit trees that normally only grow over 100 miles south of here in their yards so long they are bearing fruit (taking 7 to 8 years to bare). People are always trying to grow them, such as Citrus, Bananas, etc but normally there is a freeze every 2 to 4 years that wipes them out. Not for the last dozen years or so.

Is it warmer where I am? no doubt.

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
Well now we're in the mid-50's and just dreary. They've been expecting rain but it's mostly bypassed us and gone up north (maybe Jim has it?).

Fringe Reception

Staff member
Well now we're in the mid-50's and just dreary. They've been expecting rain but it's mostly bypassed us and gone up north (maybe Jim has it?).
-----------------------------------------
Orrymain,
This morning its at least 25 degrees warmer than a week ago and sure enough, its raining in Seattle ... sigh ... :violin:
Jim

29 degrees here RIGHT NOW. sucks.

Weather's Cosmic Wintertime Joke:

1. if it's warm and nice, it's probably raining

2. when it does clear up and the sun i shining, expect extremely frigid temps ~20s-singles and a big wind in excess of 20MPH from the Canadian North.

Sucks, this time of year my car and home start looking so ugly from dirt and weather i cannot stand it. i can't clean if it's warm since it will rain and when it does get sunny it's too cold to go outside.

People say that i am lucky that i can eat anything and cannot gain an ounce. but you know what? would you trade fat for the inability to go out in 25-degree weather unless you love Hypothermia? seriously. high metab = extreme sensitivity to temps.

cclc

DTVUSA Member
He He He You west coast guys funny:D: Been 12 - 17 degrees here last few nights with the high around 23, heck i had the salt truck out twice last week. Guess thats what i get for living here in Ohio, but i actually like winter.:dance:

Hey you can take the no plants growing, trees bare, bluish grey hue of no color, deathly silence, deer hunting, cold, frozen water lines, power outages, heating issues (why on earth is it easier to use A/C but so hard to heat?! it's the same insulation!)cars that won't start below 10*F and hypothermia.

I'm still trying to discover the thing which enables hybernation so i can just sleep and wake up in spring. would benefit society with the less food needed for sure. and no more SAD.

I always felt at home with the fresh air of spring/summer, trees, birds, butterflies, warmth, and of course my deer companions! I'm sorry but freezing to death to me isn't exactly beautiful. at least if the power goes out in summer cracking a window helps. when the power goes out in winter there is NO backup. generators can only power one or two systems and in my case i can only heat one room. not all of them.

Do you prefer months without a shower? not i. i still don't know how those Inuits survive. they literally have nothing.

Last edited:

Fringe Reception

Staff member
He He He You west coast guys funny:D: Been 12 - 17 degrees here last few nights with the high around 23, heck i had the salt truck out twice last week. Guess thats what i get for living here in Ohio, but i actually like winter.:dance:
------------------------
cclc,
There's a world of difference between midwest cold with low humidity and west coast cold with high humidity that soaks thru your clothes into your bones! I'm with DTVuser - if I could hybernate I probably would!

Actually, I like winter too because it makes me appreciate spring and summer all the more! :rolleyes:
Jim

O-O

DTVUSA Member
------------------------
cclc,
There's a world of difference between midwest cold with low humidity and west coast cold with high humidity that soaks thru your clothes into your bones! I'm with DTVuser - if I could hybernate I probably would!

Actually, I like winter too because it makes me appreciate spring and summer all the more! :rolleyes:
Jim
Us Californians have such a different outlook on weather. :dancing:

Piggie

Super Moderator
lol, Californians have a different outlook on about everything, so I believe ya!

Warm here. Now remember I am not in the Keys, Not in Miami, not even in Orlando but just south of Jacksonville FL, about an hour from the Georgia border.

Monday was high of 80 lows in high 50's. Tues was near record 85.
Today it was "cold" with a high of about 65.

These are not the Dec temps I grew up with. This is yet just another warmer than normal winter for us here.

===

I asked my 25 year old kid, who thinks global warming is BS. I asked, now pretend you never heard of global warming, didn't watch TV, etc. I asked, how would you describe winters now compared to when you were younger. He said for the last 10 years, much warmer.

The citrus which hasn't grown well up in the north part of the state since the turn of the last century, then again to a degree in 40's and 50's is going full tilt. Everyone every day at work is bringing in different types of citrus from their yards or neighbors yards. There is so much we can't eat it all. I have a bumper crop this year in my yard of pink grapefruit (only thing planted here). Same the last couple years. I had to give away bushels of the things.

Last edited:

Fringe Reception

Staff member
wx

Piggie wrote:

"If you want to see climate warming, go to Australia, or Upper Mongolia. Or even south or central Florida that have had mild winters for 10 years or more."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Piggie,
Julie and I have dear friends (ultra-liberal :hippie:) who moved to Nova Scotia last year and they live right on the ocean. They researched the area before they bought their 150+ year old home with ten foot ceilings on the main floor and the neighbors told them there hadn't been any significant snow for ten years, whereas the area used to get pounded annually. So, they counted on their 'Global Warming' to keep the heating bills down.

I was surprised when I looked on a map and learned they are about 150 miles south (latitude) of Seattle. Last winter they had two feet of snow in one of their snowfalls :duh: and Seattle had about 16 inches, our first decent snowfall in many years. They are now looking into setting up some form of geo-thermal heating. I wonder how much that will cost?
Jim

Global Warming would imply that the ENTIRE globe is warming up. so far only certain parts are warming and The rest is one big ice cube. that's not 'Global' warming at all.

It's been progressively colder here. each year our winters dip more and more into 'below normal' and Summer is much cooler too.

Normal for Owensboro Kentucky is 80s-90s and some 100s during late Summer (NOT 60s-80s) and normal winter is ~ 30s-upper 20s. so far it's lucky to break those temps in December when it should be about 45-50. lows are mainly this time of year in the 30s but now it's teens and 20s. daytime highs this winter are a lot lower than usual. we never heard of ice storms here until the last 2-3 winters. especially last one; another one is expected to come next year and hit us much harder than the last one. i still say it's time to bury utilities and they should've done it while they were on the ground last year. 5 people froze to death.

Winter was only fun for me when i was able to get off school for it. but no one is ever called off work due to snow, ice, you name it. would you love driving on top of a sheet of ice (with salt rusting your car away) to work no matter what? some of us have to earn a living and there ain't no snow days when you work.

Last edited: