Buffalo NY reception in Rochester NY

Here's my TV Fool...

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e6a48e81ff6719

I've done a ton of reading before posting so I have a very basic understanding of how antennas work.

I built a DBGH narrow band, with a 36" reflector.
50' RG6 drop to a VIP 211k receiver.

I want to receive: WNYO(49), WGRZ(33), WIVB(39) and WKBW(38)

Am I wrong to believe that I should be able to get all 4 stations with this antenna and my location?
I'm able to get WIVB and WKBW with a viewable signal 90% of the time. WGRZ came in once not a strong enough signal to be viewable, never picked it up again. Have not picked up WNYO ever.?.?.

I've tried adjusting the antenna at diffent times of the day/night and almost every weather condition...

Would it help to modify the DBGH to the wide band design or... Would a bow tie design serve me better?

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
:welcome: Garbage Plate

I clicked your antenna survey link and it was a dud, resulting with this message:

"The page you are trying to access does not exist".

Please try again.

Jim and the DTVUSAForum staff.

Fringe Reception

Staff member
Garbage Plate,

Be aware, within three years channels WNYO(49), WIVB(39) and WKBW(38) will be forced to relocate to lower channels or quit broadcasting altogether. Those channels (frequencies) have been "sold" to cell phone providers. With this in mind, you may not want to spend much money on establishing those channels.

All three are located to your southwest and I think they can be received at your location. I would try a new-design Channel Master HD-4221 4-Bay and see what you get: if successful, you could try it with its reflector screen removed (simple) making it a 2-direction antenna and you might collect a bunch of channels from your northwest. This antenna is well suited for low-number UHF channels.

You said you have "adjusted" your antenna: please tell us more. DTV reception can be a black art and trying your antenna at a higher OR lower location may be the trick. Moving it a few feet sideways may be where a clean, receivable signal is located.

Others will chime in with their recommendations so please stand by.

Jim

G

Guest (Garbage Plate)

Garbage Plate,

Be aware, within three years channels WNYO(49), WIVB(39) and WKBW(38) will be forced to relocate to lower channels or quit broadcasting altogether. Those channels (frequencies) have been "sold" to cell phone providers. With this in mind, you may not want to spend much money on establishing those channels.

All three are located to your southwest and I think they can be received at your location. I would try a new-design Channel Master HD-4221 4-Bay and see what you get: if successful, you could try it with its reflector screen removed (simple) making it a 2-direction antenna and you might collect a bunch of channels from your northwest. This antenna is well suited for low-number UHF channels.

You said you have "adjusted" your antenna: please tell us more. DTV reception can be a black art and trying your antenna at a higher OR lower location may be the trick. Moving it a few feet sideways may be where a clean, receivable signal is located.

Others will chime in with their recommendations so please stand by.

Jim
Thank You, for the channel/frequency change info. Have the new channels/frequencies been assigned?

By adjustment, I mean, slightly turning the antenna south to north and north to south across the horizon.

Will a four bay antenna have enough gain? WBKW and WIBV are just outside of the suggested range, 60 miles.
My thinking is an eight bay would gather more signal...bigger is better.?.?.?

GP

Fringe Reception

Staff member
GP,

The elimination of upper UHF channels is Nationwide and eventually will include Canadian and Mexican stations. The reassignment to lower 'real channels' hasn't begun and its going to be a complicated process.

Regarding your current antenna, I suggest you move it a few feet up / down / right / left / forward / backward! DTV signals can be evasive to capture and they may be available only a few feet away from the current location of your antenna.

Suggested reception ranges are determined in Corporate Boardrooms and not in the field: often but not always, antenna height is king. You could improve signal gain a bit by using an 8-Bay such as a Channel Master HD-4228, however, I do not know if that antenna can have its reflector easily removed for dual-direction reception.

Jim

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
I used to live in that general area. If I recall correctly, Buffalo transmitters are not in a favorable position for Rochester residents. I lived just east of the city and never saw a buffalo station back in the 70's with a pretty large antenna. Canada and Syracuse, but not Buffalo. If you are on the west side, you may have a better chance.