Build your own Leaf antenna!

DIY Flexible Fractal Window HDTV Antenna

Full list of materials I used are:

2 Sheets of 8.5" x 11" printer paper
1 piece of aluminum foil (about 8" x 11")
1 sheet of clear, flexible plastic (torn from report cover)
An Elmer's glue stick (spray adhesive or any other glue can work)
1 Matching Transformer (Balun)
2 small nuts and bolts

Tools were simple. All I used was a printer, pair of scissors and a screwdriver.

I laid out the pattern using Goole Sketchup ...

dkreichen1968

Staff member
Just a word of warning. Fractal antennas are currently under patent, so it's okay to build your own, but don't sell them to your friends unless you like being sued for everything you own. ;)

Just a word of warning. Fractal antennas are currently under patent, so it's okay to build your own, but don't sell them to your friends unless you like being sued for everything you own. ;)
Your caution is understandable ... Fractal Antenna: Patented Technologies

OTOH, just about every antenna in existence would meet the mathematical definition of "fractal." I don't see how they can patent every fractal. But needless to say, if I were going into the antenna making business I would have to research the subject very thoroughly.

R.

G

Just to be clear, you cannot legally make your own copy if it's covered by patent - not even for experimentation. That said, no one is likely to ever know or care.

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
Could get the same reception quality than a roof top antenna?
Francisco,

Yes, assuming there is a signal with good enough quality to be decoded by your tuner, the resulting picture will be of equal clarity to a high-level signal received by an outdoor antenna. Signal strength levels are a minimal concern - signal quality is the actual goal.

Jim

nbound-au

The Graveyard Shift
Assuming that the signal is strong enough at the selected location indoors and isn't affected by any indoor reflections. But in laymans terms you will have a better viewer experience with a high-gain outdoor antenna as opposed to a low gain fractal which will work little better than a dipole.

you will have a better viewer experience with a high-gain outdoor antenna as opposed to a low gain fractal which will work little better than a dipole.
I dunno! It looks a lot like the as-good-as-a-4228 GrabbitEars except it's missing the whiskers in the middle. I'm assuming it works a lot better than a dipole.

Rick