Building Own Computers?

casey

DTVUSA Member
How do you guys feel about building your own computer for whatever it is you may need? I see online that you can save hundreds by picking out all the parts that you want for your machine.

TonyT

DTVUSA Member
If you know what you're doing, go for it. I built one about 5 years ago, and had a few problems working bugs out and trying to fix some of the hardware conflicts. If you're trying to build a budget computer to save money over buying at Dell or Best Buy, it probably isn't worth it. If you're building a high end gaming rig or AutoCad workstation, then you might be able to save a few dollars.

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
I don't like to build, but I definitely tinker with my desktops. Memory and graphics card upgrades are about the extent of my computer building capabilities. ;)

casey

DTVUSA Member
I don't like to build, but I definitely tinker with my desktops. Memory and graphics card upgrades are about the extent of my computer building capabilities. ;)
You really don't understand how fun it really is until you get into it. I've have been playing around with all these parts I found with old computers, and I build a really neat one from them.

misha

DTVUSA Member
I've seen these monsters of computers build for the best gaming possible, and then I have seen the basic ones built for home use. Mine is a bit in the middle. I have some top of the line parts, and then some basic ones. The machine runs very smoothly.

deeteevee

DTVUSA Jr. Member
I couldn't imagine building my own computer. I don't know too much about computers, and if I was to mess around with a bunch of the parts, I would probably screw it up somehow. Or electrocute myself.

aeagle

DTVUSA Jr. Member
I tinker with electronics all the time, but I don't know if I have ever really had the guts to try and build a computer. That would be messing with something far too expensive for me. I would have to break it.

vibetv

DTVUSA Jr. Member
I tinker with electronics all the time, but I don't know if I have ever really had the guts to try and build a computer. That would be messing with something far too expensive for me. I would have to break it.
It's really not that hard. There are so many instructions regarding the layout of everything. It is really hard to mess everything up when you are putting it together. Now, if you have the wrong parts, that another story.

aeagle

DTVUSA Jr. Member
It's really not that hard. There are so many instructions regarding the layout of everything. It is really hard to mess everything up when you are putting it together. Now, if you have the wrong parts, that another story.
I think that is what I would be most afraid of, now that you mention it. If I ordered the wrong part for the wrong thing, that would be awful. If I plugged something into a place it didn't belong and ruin a $150 part, I would cry.

The best thing about PC's for me is that you have the liberty in upgrading them as well as installing whatever hardware you may need. You can save more by choosing the parts since there are plenty of online dealers for PC parts..

Last edited:

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
The best thing about PC's for me is that you have the liberty in upgrading them as well as installing whatever hardware you may need. You can save more by choosing the parts since there are plenty of online dealers for PC parts..
I know everybody hates Vista, but it is much easier these days to throw something together and have Windows automatically detect - plug and play all of your devices. I remember the days of changing jumpers to get certain devices to work. ;)

I have had good experience with Vista 64 and my new dell Studio came with a tv tuner that does Analog Digital OTA , Cable Analog and digital and Sat as well so it makes a great PVR. combine with media center

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
I wouldn't have it any other way. You can build them to your own needs and fix them if they crash. We currently have 4 PCs in the house all built by me.

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
I have had good experience with Vista 64 and my new dell Studio came with a tv tuner that does Analog Digital OTA , Cable Analog and digital and Sat as well so it makes a great PVR. combine with media center
Vista 64! I have yet to upgrade, I hear the new Office will be in 64bit, hmmmmm........

I built many of PCs, switched to Laptops in 06 or so...There's something rewarding about putting a desktop together. First time you fire it up and load the operating system.

Byte24

DTVUSA Member
Vista 64! I have yet to upgrade, I hear the new Office will be in 64bit, hmmmmm........

I built many of PCs, switched to Laptops in 06 or so...There's something rewarding about putting a desktop together. First time you fire it up and load the operating system.
Don't do it just yet, just isn't enough reason to unless you're buying a new computer. Microsoft has a utility to check which software is available in 64bit Search the Windows Vista Compatibility Center

Last edited:

khlariss

DTVUSA Jr. Member
You really don't understand how fun it really is until you get into it. I've have been playing around with all these parts I found with old computers, and I build a really neat one from them.
Hi there! I actually experienced the same. Now I'm making my own computers for a cheap price but great quality parts.

It's been years since I built my own computer but if I ever did, I'm make sure one of my IT tech guys was watching me all the way through the process. Makes it easy to access the computer guys since I'm the manager of the department. Hahaha

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
It's been years since I built my own computer but if I ever did, I'm make sure one of my IT tech guys was watching me all the way through the process. Makes it easy to access the computer guys since I'm the manager of the department. Hahaha
Your the manager of the IT department and you don't build your your own computers? :D