agassiz51

DTVUSA Rookie
First I filled out the questionnaire

General Questionnaire for an OTA (Free TV) System Installation

What is your primary objective (check the line applicable) :

I want as many as I can reasonably get

Main Assembly:
What kind of Terrestrial Antenna do you presently have:
(Make/Model/None): home built gray hooverman followed these instructions ( Gray Hoverman Antenna build) as close as I could. I ran out of #8 copper and used a couple of coat hangers (sanded) to link the two bays.

Is the Antenna to be/or installed:
On top of your TV (same Room), Attic, Rooftop or Pole: Pole mounted

If in Attic, Roof or outside separate Mast/Pole:
How high above ground is your Antenna installed/proposed: It is approx 18 ft. right now but if that is the problem I could take buy new pipe and take it higher.

Do you have an Antenna Rotator:
(Make/Model/None): no

Are you presently using a Pre-Amplifier:
(Make/Model/None): No. I do have an RCA 4 output 10db amplifier but it does not seem to matter if I use it or not. May even be a bit better picture without it.

Interior:
How many linear Cable feet is it between your Antenna and the most far TV
Right now about 20-25 ft but I would like to add a second TV that would be about 50 ft.

How many TV sets will be/are presently being used, on this system:
1 now but possibly 2-3

How many Splitters are in use in your system:
Number & Qty of outlets for each? None at the moment

Are you using a Distribution Amplifier:
(Make/Model/None): No

Aditional Information:
Are you/do you plan to integrate Cable or Satellite Services with this system:
No

TV Fool

I get a good signal but a few stations fade in and out

CBS channel 11 is the most important one that I have trouble with.

Any suggestions on how to improve reception would be appreciated. Leon

The Gray Hoverman is a very good UHF antenna antenna design. The problem is your CBS channel is being transmitted on VHF channel 12. There is a newer designs address this problem by adding NARODs (Not A Reflector Or Director) to both ends of the antenna. If you do some research plenty of information can be found on the use of NARODs, and correctly sized and placed reflectors for VHF. I've a couple quick links handy to give you an idea of what I'm talking about.
http://img.wonderhowto.com/img/original/10/51/63501986866343/0/635019868663431051.jpg
nikiml's Antenna pages - GH0n UHF/VHF-hi combo antenna
The drawings on the second site are interactive. I found it to be a bit of a learning curve for me to navigate them. There is a lot of good information on that site for the ambitious antenna builder. With a bit of research you can find a lot of information on the subject those are just the pages I could find quickly.
Steve

agassiz51

DTVUSA Rookie
Thanks Steve. I will build the NARODS the first chance I get. The question I have is since I built a two bay Gray Hoverman can I just add two of the Narods? One at the top of one bay and the other at the bottom of the other bay?

I remember looking through UncleSam's instructable when I first thought of building the antenna. Not sure why I used the other build instructions.

I personally have no experience with the GH antennas. Here is what I found on a quick search.
My Homemade TV Antenna, a project of Dean-O's Toy Box
The photo of the finished antenna is at the bottom of that page.
Keep in mind if you are using a reflector the design of the reflector also plays a big part in the directivity of the antenna. Designing the reflector so the VHF, and UHF gain are both in the same direction can be important. While I've never worked with the GH antenna on other antennas I have built using the wrong size reflector will put the VHF gain in the opposite direction of the UHF gain, that can be useful in some locations.
I study and sometimes build antennas. I've really never seen the need to build a GH antenna for my location. A single GH with NARODs with no reflector would be an excellent antenna for my location. I just found what to my way of thinking was an easier way to accomplish what is needed at my location. I solved my personal reception problems years ago, but still have plenty of new antenna projects I want build, and test. The GH is way down the list of antennas I'd like to build right now.
Steve