Bunny Ears don't work

Hello, I'm in a situation where after the transition I lost a few channels. I've scanned, double rescanned, hard reset my converter box and nothing is working to bring those channels back. Might be time to upgrade the ole bunny ears. Before I go out and buy any ole indoor antenna, can any of you recommend me a good antenna preferably indoors that'll give me the best results?

Here's my TVFool data: TV Fool

bicker

DTVUSA Member
You're in a great area (compared to some others) and more importantly all your channels are in one direction, so I highly recommend a directional antenna. (It will help keep KTMD from interfering with KNWS.) I like the Terk HDTVi or HDTVa. (I would choose the amplified antenna if you don't have a SSW exposure in the room where your antenna is.

Piggie

Super Moderator
Hello, I'm in a situation where after the transition I lost a few channels. I've scanned, double rescanned, hard reset my converter box and nothing is working to bring those channels back. Might be time to upgrade the ole bunny ears. Before I go out and buy any ole indoor antenna, can any of you recommend me a good antenna preferably indoors that'll give me the best results?

Here's my TVFool data: TV Fool
Which stations did you loose? I am guessing it's this list.

KHOU-DT CBS Channel 11
KUHT-DT PBS Channel 8
KTRK-TV ABC Channel 13

Are these the ones you lost?

Piggie

Super Moderator
(It will help keep KTMD from interfering with KNWS.)
Without digging the FCC records they appear to be not only on the same exact tower (from coordinates) but the same antenna (height and beam pattern).

Trip can probably decipher the FCC data. It appears they are sharing the same antenna, but KNWS has an STA Granted to move. I may have it backwards.

I would think it would be better on the same tower and synchronize timing to eliminate adj-channel interference.

Either way, they are on the same beam heading so a more directional antenna would not separate the stations at 19 miles away from the towers.

=========

His signals are too strong for a Terk HDTVa, which would most likely overload based on 15 high as the TVFool shows. This would mean with an indoor antenna being on the second floor.

First it's best to find which channels he lost as I am betting they are VHF.

bicker

DTVUSA Member
It looks to me that the two stations are at different bearings: 18.5 miles at 196 degrees, versus 59 miles at 112 degrees.

I agree that the HDTVa isn't right for a perfect situation, however my plot is pretty much like his and I found I needed the amp for indoor antennas that have to get their signals through a wall (instead of through a window).

I've lost channel 8 and channel 13 comes in but not all of the time. Thanks for the recommendations. I've definitely narrowed it down to the HDTVi or HDTVa. Just unsure if I want that aplifier. Hmm.

Piggie

Super Moderator
It looks to me that the two stations are at different bearings: 18.5 miles at 196 degrees, versus 59 miles at 112 degrees.

I agree that the HDTVa isn't right for a perfect situation, however my plot is pretty much like his and I found I needed the amp for indoor antennas that have to get their signals through a wall (instead of through a window).
You looked at an old analog plot for WTMD

http://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/prod/cdbs/pubacc/Auth_Files/1251246.pdf

http://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/prod/cdbs/pubacc/Auth_Files/1005547.pdf

Eureka

DTVUSA Member
VHF channels 2 thru 13 are nearly always harder to pick up reliably with an indoor antenna, for several reasons. If you're getting no signal, weak signal or dropouts, you may need an outdoor antenna, away from indoor interference that can muck with VHF reception.

You may also have FM interference.