Buy a DTV or HDTV?

Should I buy a DTV or HDTV? I'd like to get a new one this weekend to replace my old TV but I don't want to spend more than $350 to $400. Is there a big difference in price? Amanda B.

bicker

DTVUSA Member
Yes, there is a big difference in price.

The answer to your question is going to be driven a lot by the size of the room the new television is going in -- specifically how many feet is there from where your eyes are when you're watching television, and the wall behind where the television will be. We can make a lot of recommendations based just on that.

What would also be useful is to know what television you're replacing. The size of that television will help us make some recommendations as well.

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
Should I buy a DTV or HDTV? I'd like to get a new one this weekend to replace my old TV but I don't want to spend more than $350 to $400. Is there a big difference in price? Amanda B.
Welcome to the DTVUSA Forum. What's a DTV? You can purchase an HDTV for your price range. I don't know what you mean by DTV unless your looking to purchase an old digital ready monitor.

bicker

DTVUSA Member
In addition to HDTVs, there are standard definition and enhanced definition digital televisions available for sale, for example the LG 32" Plasma TV - 32PC5DVC. Its maximum resolution is 852 x 480, but has ATSC and QAM tuners so will receive digital signals no problem.

Personally, I think that resolution is too low for 32", but perhaps for 25" that would be okay.

Boo-Ray

DTVUSA Member
In addition to HDTVs, there are standard definition and enhanced definition digital televisions available for sale, for example the LG 32" Plasma TV - 32PC5DVC. Its maximum resolution is 852 x 480, but has ATSC and QAM tuners so will receive digital signals no problem.

Personally, I think that resolution is too low for 32", but perhaps for 25" that would be okay.
Glad you came back to post the clarification. EDTVs represent such a small market for television sets these days.

More info on Enhanced Digital Televisions - Enhanced-definition television - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

1inxs

DTVUSA Member

I saw the 32PC5DVC on the internet, but it's no longer available for sale. I know of no TV manufacturer building these sets any longer. The price of HDTV has come down below what the 32PC5DVC sold for. Can you post a link to a SD TV with the included ATSC tuner?

bicker

DTVUSA Member
I can't find any today, but I was reading an article about this yesterday, about how that now that the transition has taken place, and now that cable companies are going forward with their own transitions, people are going to looking to replace many more additional televisions, and will be looking for televisions back in the range that they'd expect for a bedroom or a kitchen, i.e., less than $250.