Buy TV instead of converter box

Nikki

DTVUSA Rookie
Guess I can't use a coupon to buy a TV can I? :) Wishful thinking. <g>

I want to buy a HDTV but only have a budget of $400. What's the biggest nicest one I can buy? I don't want to just walk into Target and get something if there's something better.

O-O

DTVUSA Member
You are correct, you cannot use your coupon to purchase a TV. Can't imagine how many people would abuse the coupon program if you could. ;)

A good LCD runs around $500-$600 like the Samsung LN32A450. Are you looking strictly for LCD or can it be a older CRT type TV. Plenty of deals on CRT's.

ercjncpr

DTVUSA Member
You are correct, you cannot use your coupon to purchase a TV. Can't imagine how many people would abuse the coupon program if you could. ;)

A good LCD runs around $500-$600 like the Samsung LN32A450. Are you looking strictly for LCD or can it be a older CRT type TV. Plenty of deals on CRT's.
Actually, it looks like most retailers and manufacturers are discontinuing CRT's friom what I have seen of their websites

Piggie

Super Moderator

Or wait for the Christmas sales. I bought a 32 inch Ölevia for $425 on a Thanksgiving weekend sale.

Unless you are in a very small room I would suggest on a budget try and find a 32 inch on sale.

I have a 26 in the bedroom but it's right at the foot of the bed.

For a reference a 32 in wide looks like a 27 inch old style. A 26 inch give a picture like the old 19 inch.

Last edited:
Vizio has some nice sets (22"-26") they run to about $350 or $400.

Biggest you'll get in that price range is a 22 incher or a 26, but, if you wait till sales, sometimes you can get a 32" at best buy. (Dynex brand) for $379.

Your call.

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
Guess I can't use a coupon to buy a TV can I? :) Wishful thinking. <g>

I want to buy a HDTV but only have a budget of $400. What's the biggest nicest one I can buy? I don't want to just walk into Target and get something if there's something better.
There are many retailers with HDTVs in your price range. Here's just 1 example
$250 - $499.99 : Televisions - BestBuy

Check any of the box stores. They pretty much all have deals in your range.

Piggie

Super Moderator
Prices are down, as I haven't looked for a long time.

If you have $400 you could buy this and pay the sales tax with the money

Dynex&#174; - 32" Class / 720p / 60Hz / LCD HDTV - DX-L32-10A

A 32 inch one isn't the grandiose ones in the ads where they watch football with the neighborhood. But at up to 8 ft of viewing distance it's a nice size. When you view SD content on a 32 inch wide, it's very close to the size of a 27 inch SD TV.

I am not saying anything over 32 is a waste. My kid has a 46 in a big living room and it isn't too big at all (most of the chairs are 10 to 12 ft from the screen). Depends on money, room, etc.