Buying a DTV before June 12

Me24

DTVUSA Rookie
Want to make sure I understand. If I buy a TV before June 12, it needs to be built with a converter box? What about TVs after June 12? Should I wait?

Piggie

Super Moderator
Want to make sure I understand. If I buy a TV before June 12, it needs to be built with a converter box? What about TVs after June 12? Should I wait?
All TVs made since March 1, 2007 had to have a digital tuner built in. Larger tv's (bigger than 25 inches) since Jan 1, 2007. There are a few in stores that don't have them, but it's a major federal sin for a store to sell a TV that didn't have a digital tuner built in since 3/1/07 unless it was placarded and the sales person made sure you understood you were buying one that didn't have one.

Today there are very very very few of these left even in a store.

Broadcast stations have been transmitting digital and analog now since 2006, some much earlier. There are a very very small handful that were granted special licenses to wait unitl June 12 or after to switch, but out of 1500 some stations in the US, the list of late converters is less than 10 or so. The chance of having on in our town is small.

So to answer you question directly, if you bought a TV today it would have a digital tuner (which would be the converter box) built in. You don't have to wait until June 12 to buy one or watch digital TV.

For example I bought a TV with a built in digital tuner in Feb 2007 that was a close out (2 year old model) and have been watching digital since then.

The transition is not when they turn on digital (it's already on), but it's when they turn analog off. A very simple concept the Public Service Ads have not effectively conveyed to the public, and you are not alone at all in this.

=======

Maybe the bigger question is how to you get your TV now? Outside antenna? Satellite dish? Cable? If you are on Satellite or Cable only, the transition won't even affect you.

If you are on a TV antenna only it will definitely affect you. But most people find even with an existing antenna getting the converter box or a new TV with digital built in is only half the deal. Making sure your current antenna is correct or not is maybe a bigger deal.

If that is you and you have a TV antenna and watch TV on it, don't run to the store and buy an antenna, 9 out of 10 times they sell you the wrong one and you end up back here. Let us know if you use an antenna and we will try our best to suggest your options.

Da Pig.... :mad:)

Thomas G

Contributor
Just be careful if you're buying a used TV. Watch for the words like ATSC tuner (Digital Tuner) and NTSC tuner (Analog tuner).

There's really no reason to wait after June 12. In fact, I'm just taking a guess here, but I'm wondering if we'll see a price increase for TVs after the digital transition.

Piggie

Super Moderator
Just be careful if you're buying a used TV. Watch for the words like ATSC tuner (Digital Tuner) and NTSC tuner (Analog tuner).

There's really no reason to wait after June 12. In fact, I'm just taking a guess here, but I'm wondering if we'll see a price increase for TVs after the digital transition.
Antennas that were on sale since the beginning of the bad part of the recession (Jan-Feb 09) were free shipping, on sale. They all went up, no more free shipping or added fees in the last few weeks

here in boston alot of our main networks had a DT signal up and running around 1999 but not many people ever watched it or even knew it existed. WCVB is one that I know of.

You can look up station call letters and see when they signed on.

Piggie

Super Moderator
here in boston alot of our main networks had a DT signal up and running around 1999 but not many people ever watched it or even knew it existed. WCVB is one that I know of.

You can look up station call letters and see when they signed on.
I had Falcon look it up and he found I do indeed live in the woods. His stats show about 2002 to 2003 half the country was transmitting.

In our town the first station wasn't on till 2004, and the last in early 2007. Most of our stations had big problems during 2007, so they were not always on the air, full power, or some other problem.

But what might be the biggest mistake of the transition, is what you just said. If you ask most of the "early converters" on most forums, they converted in the 2005 to 2007 range.

My point is these stations spent millions each to add digital transmitting, but didn't tell a soul the spent the money or they could go ahead and buy a digital TV. I asked in some social forums I used to be active back in 2007 who knew about it. The answer was a couple had heard.

Hence to the majority of the public, this thing started sometime in early 2008 and appears to be a very quick transition.

bicker

DTVUSA Member
I don't think that distinction is significant. No matter when you tell people anything (these days), the vast majority won't care, or do anything about it, until just before they have to (and many, not until after they had to).

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think that distinction is significant. No matter when you tell people anything (these days), the vast majority won't care, or do anything about it, until just before they have to (and many, not until after they had to).
Without getting too far off topic, honestly, I'm suprised we're at 2.7% homes "unready" for the transition even at this point. Anything less than 10% is a success in my book.

Those who don't care or don't believe it will happen are due to the Y2K scare and the previous transition date and assume delays will continue and therefore don't care.

I hope they don't delay it again, last time it was like how many days before? 5? 4? less? i kinda forgot.

Since the majority of analog is going to the government i wonder how government-funded TV stations such as PBS will go about the transition? maybe they'll continue to broadcast in both analog and digital since they're funded via telethons and some government assistance who knows? i'm curious what i could see on analog in the future since although TV networks won't use them someone will, since they'll still be 'there' just not in use by the locals. if sold they could even become the property of low power translators or even cable/satellite providers could pick em up and therefore we get free analog premium channels alongside our digital extras.

Last edited:

Piggie

Super Moderator
Without getting too far off topic, honestly, I'm suprised we're at 2.7% homes "unready" for the transition even at this point. Anything less than 10% is a success in my book.
Maybe Trip remembers. But I think the FCC themselves base coverage on 95% of the viewers in a contour get the signal????

Maybe Trip will see this thread and comment if he remembers.

GrantDraper

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Definately be one extremely unhappy bunny if you shelled out for a new TV, only to find it was useless within a matter of hours - happy days!

Me24

DTVUSA Rookie
All TVs made since March 1, 2007 had to have a digital tuner built in. Larger tv's (bigger than 25 inches) since Jan 1, 2007. There are a few in stores that don't have them, but it's a major federal sin for a store to sell a TV that didn't have a digital tuner built in since 3/1/07 unless it was placarded and the sales person made sure you understood you were buying one that didn't have one.

Today there are very very very few of these left even in a store.

Broadcast stations have been transmitting digital and analog now since 2006, some much earlier. There are a very very small handful that were granted special licenses to wait unitl June 12 or after to switch, but out of 1500 some stations in the US, the list of late converters is less than 10 or so. The chance of having on in our town is small.

So to answer you question directly, if you bought a TV today it would have a digital tuner (which would be the converter box) built in. You don't have to wait until June 12 to buy one or watch digital TV.

For example I bought a TV with a built in digital tuner in Feb 2007 that was a close out (2 year old model) and have been watching digital since then.

The transition is not when they turn on digital (it's already on), but it's when they turn analog off. A very simple concept the Public Service Ads have not effectively conveyed to the public, and you are not alone at all in this.

=======

Maybe the bigger question is how to you get your TV now? Outside antenna? Satellite dish? Cable? If you are on Satellite or Cable only, the transition won't even affect you.

If you are on a TV antenna only it will definitely affect you. But most people find even with an existing antenna getting the converter box or a new TV with digital built in is only half the deal. Making sure your current antenna is correct or not is maybe a bigger deal.

If that is you and you have a TV antenna and watch TV on it, don't run to the store and buy an antenna, 9 out of 10 times they sell you the wrong one and you end up back here. Let us know if you use an antenna and we will try our best to suggest your options.

Da Pig.... :mad:)
wow, thx for all da info. i just ordered my coupons today too so i may wait to get a converter box first before buying a tv.