Cable Boxes for Sale?

U

Unregistered

Is it possible to buy a cable box instead of renting? I've seen a couple for sale on Craigslist lately and wouldn't mind getting out of having to pay a rental fee.

The only set-top box approved to work on Comcast's network is a Tivo DVR or Moxi DVR. Anything for sale on Craigslist, eBay, or any other auction website is probably stolen or lost cable boxes. Comcast hasn't ever sold cable boxes either, so take that into consideration if anyone tries to tell you different.

digitalamps

DTVUSA Jr. Member
The only set-top box approved to work on Comcast's network is a Tivo DVR or Moxi DVR. Anything for sale on Craigslist, eBay, or any other auction website is probably stolen or lost cable boxes. Comcast hasn't ever sold cable boxes either, so take that into consideration if anyone tries to tell you different.
I've read this everywhere and it's just not true anymore.. You can buy your own cable box instead of renting. However, I do agree that most boxes on craigslist or ebay are probably stolen or simply never returned to the cable company but those are usually people selling just one or 2 rental boxes from there house. If you want to buy your own box go to xxxxxxxxx and buy your own, they personally did a 3way with me to my cable company to activate my box..

Oh and think about it, what happens to the boxes that go out of date or have hard drive problems or any other issues? They sell them...

Last edited by a moderator:
I've read this everywhere and it's just not true anymore.. You can buy your own cable box instead of renting. ...
Absolutely. Congress and the FCC got a little sense and backtracked on some of their draconian copyright extensions.
CableCARD: Know Your Rights | FCC.gov

the FCC said:
Use your own set-top box without extra charge. FCC Rule 76.1205(b)(5)(C). Your cable operator may charge you to lease a CableCARD or tuning adapter, but may not charge you an additional service fee for using your own digital-cable-ready television or set-top box.
Also, as far as anyone knows it's legal to make single copies of digital streams coming into your home for personal viewing. This would be in line with the latest rulings on the sling box and Aero. Although the last ruling comes from New York, it's based on federal copyright law.

I would hope this forum takes the side of the consumer in these cases, rather than the big media interests that used legal bribes to push some abhorrent copyright extensions into law. :angry:

Rick

digitalamps

DTVUSA Jr. Member
I would hope this forum takes the side of the consumer in these cases, rather than the big media interests that used legal bribes to push some abhorrent copyright extensions into law. :angry:
Rick
Agreed. :)

Sadly the FCC basically admitted defeat years ago on the issue of CableCards but that doesn't mean we all have to lose, theres still laws that say we can own our own equipment either way. This was posted 2 years ago and it's still an issue today.. FCC admits CableCARD a failure, vows to try something else | Ars Technica