Cable modem and wireless router combo for Comcast

U

Unregistered

Can I can some recommendations on a cable modem and router for Comcast? I want to get the fastest combo for the cheapest price.

n2rj

Staff member
I would recommend a separate modem and router.

For the modem, the motorola SB6121 or SB6120 is what a lot of people use.

For routers any good dual band N will do. I recommend the Netgear WNDR4700. For a budget model, look at the WNR3500L but that is 2.4GHz only.

scajjr2

DTVUSA Member
I buy my modems and a few months ago upgraded from the SB6120 to a SB6141. 6141 allows more channel bonding (I've noticed my speed test results are now 5-10 mbps faster).
I also recommend the Asus RT-N66U wireless router.

Sam

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
I actually had problems with Netgear which was the first router I purchased. It just didn't do the trick. I ended up with a Linksys that works quite well.

n2rj

Staff member
And I've had no end to trouble with Linksys. Two dead units RMAed and I just gave up on them with the 3rd.

Cisco sold off Linksys to Belkin now, by the way.

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
I've got the Performance Plan with Comcast. Is it worth upgrading my modem? I've had the same router for about 5 years. How often should one upgrade modems?
It really depends, what is the make and model number of your modem? Or do you know what its DOCSIS number is?

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
I'm an amateur on the specifics, but I can tell you that when I upgraded my modem once, my speed did pick up, just from having a newer modem with, I suppose, more updated technology. It does depend on the totality of the system, of course, but it did make a difference without anything else changing.