Question: Cable-to-Component Converter Box

amrrashad

DTVUSA Rookie
Hi,

I have a 26" RCA CRT TV, it's a bit dated and does not have component connections (the Red, White & Yellow connections) input. I'm almost sure there's some type of converter box that adds component connections to a TV by connecting the RF cable to the box and then another RF cable from the box to the tv.
Once a component input is detected, the box would switch the input from the cable RF to the component source I have plugged into the box.

My questions is, what is this box called?

I've been trying to find one online for a while now but can't. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry if this is a re-post, I already tried using the forum's search feature and came out empty-handed.

Thanks,
Amr

amrrashad

DTVUSA Rookie
Hi Aaron,

No, my tv is not an HD tv; I don't think they were around when my tv came out. IT does have a digital tuner, though.

Any other ideas?

Thanks
Amr

bicker

DTVUSA Member
I have a 26" RCA CRT TV, it's a bit dated and does not have component connections (the Red, White & Yellow connections) input.
Please note that those are not "component" connections. The Red and White are stereo audio connections, and the yellow is the composite video connection. Component video connections would replace the Yellow connection with separate connections for Red, Green and Blue (in addition to the two audio connections), for a total of five cables covering both audio and video.

I'm almost sure there's some type of converter box that adds component connections to a TV by connecting the RF cable to the box and then another RF cable from the box to the tv. Once a component input is detected, the box would switch the input from the cable RF to the component source I have plugged into the box.
I've never heard of any box that would automatically switch sources like that for you. However, regardless, I found a couple. Look for "Automatic Video Selector and RF Modulator". Philips made one: Philips PH-61153. You'll find that they've been discontinued though.

By the way, could you please post the model number of your television? It may help someone understand better what you're trying to do. Thanks.

amrrashad

DTVUSA Rookie
bicker,

Thank you for explaining composite vs component connections.

The "Automatic Video Selector and RF Modulator" is exactly what I was looking for; too bad it's been discontinued. Now, given what I'm trying to do with an old tv set vs what teh cost & effort of doing it, I'm really considering a new tv.

Thank you for your help guys, appreciate your input

Amr