Cablevision Customers Might Miss Oscars

Yes616

The Mod Squad
Here we go again. 2 months ago Cablevision subscribers lost Food and HGTV for a little bit. Now ABC might yet yanked in another dispute.

Cablevision Customers Might Miss Oscars

By The Associated Press
Posted: March 03, 2010 - 2:00 AM

Cablevision subscribers might lose ABC this weekend in a dispute between the cable operator and ABC's parent company, Disney.

If the fee fight isn't resolved, WABC (Channel 7) could go dark early Sunday morning, meaning Cablevision's 3.1 million customers — including tens of thousands in Orange and Ulster counties — could lose the ability to watch the Academy Awards Sunday night on ABC.

Disney is seeking $40 million a year in new fees, Cablevision spokesman Charles Schueler said in a statement. Cablevision pays more than $200 million a year to Disney.

"It is not fair for ABC Disney to hold Cablevision customers hostage by forcing them to pay what amounts to a new TV tax," Schueler said.

Disney said Cablevision charges customers $18 per month for basic broadcast signals but does not pass on any payment for ABC to Disney.

The dispute involving WABC is similar to the standoff at the end of last year between News Corp. and Time Warner Cable over how much Fox television station signals were worth. That tussle, which threatened coverage of college football bowl games and new episodes of "The Simpsons," was resolved without a signal interruption.

It's Cablevision's second public battle this year over programming fees. Customers lost Food Network and HGTV on New Year's Day after its talks with Scripps Networks fell apart.

"They've got you cornered," said Jim Sciarra of Warwick, who bemoaned the limited options for television service. "As a little guy ... you have to either sit back or drop (service)."

Disney's previous contract with Cablevision expired more than two years ago, but the companies extended it month by month as talks continued. Under previous arrangements, Disney was paid for cable channels such as ESPN and Disney Channel but gave its ABC broadcast signal away for free, a situation most broadcasters are trying to change.

"We can no longer sit back and allow Cablevision to use our shows for free while they continue to charge their customers for them," said Rebecca Campbell, the president and general manager of WABC, in a statement.

Reporter Michael Levensohn contributed to this story.

Yes616

The Mod Squad
Why would they miss them? They are on ABC which can be easily viewed with an antenna.
Not so easy if you don't live close enough to the stations and you don't have a roof top antenna.

So, if your cable or sat provider decides to drop a local station, you're not going to mind?
I know I would mind. Especially if it was the only way to see it.

Well the carriage dispute seems to be over. 20 and three quarter hours after being shut off, WABC 7 is back effective about 8:45PM ET on Sunday evening.

bicker

DTVUSA Member
Details aren't forthcoming, but clearly Cablevision agreed to pay... the question is how much, and when will Cablevision subsribers see this reflected in their bills.

BCF68

DTVUSA Member
So, if your cable or sat provider decides to drop a local station, you're not going to mind?
Hell I can't Charter to give us WKRN( ABC ) in HD. So yeah I know what it's like to not have a station come in.

That's not the point. The point is the MIS-STATING that millions of people will no longer have access to ABC which is UNTRUE.

Not so easy if you don't live close enough to the stations and you don't have a roof top antenna.
Not a problem for most. Can't please everyone. My point is of the 2.3 million Cablevison customers that got ABC taken away only a very SMALL number would not have access to ABC.