Calibrating an HDTV

bicker

DTVUSA Member
Calibration will help ensure you're getting a truer display of what is being broadcast. However, note that you may not prefer "truer".

Note that the most common concerns expressed about HDTV reception are things that calibration will not have any impact on: pixelization, macroblocking, graininess, etc.

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
Bought a Samsung 1080p LCD TV last week. Do I need to calibrate it or are the stock settings good enough?
Only you can answer that. Are you happy with the picture or does it need to be calibrated? I tweak my HDTVs because I'm never happy with the factory calibration settings. The factory settings are to get it out the door and are not the optimum settings.
Post back with your Model number and I can post the tweak for your HDTV or you can find the settings at the following link and tweak it yourself.
Here is a before tweak and after tweak.
Welcome to Tweak TV-TweakTV

Good Luck and I hope this helps.

Astro

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Thanks for the replys. I just go a quote for a professional yesterday, $250 for one hour of calibration. That's 25% of the total cost of my Samsung. :)

I am definitely happy with picture quality right now on it so I'll leave it alone.

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
Thanks for the replys. I just go a quote for a professional yesterday, $250 for one hour of calibration. That's 25% of the total cost of my Samsung. :)

I am definitely happy with picture quality right now on it so I'll leave it alone.
If you post your HDTV make and model, I will post some quick and easy tweaks. Tweaks that anyone with little technical knowledge should be able to do in just a few minutes.

Astro

DTVUSA Jr. Member
If you post your HDTV make and model, I will post some quick and easy tweaks. Tweaks that anyone with little technical knowledge should be able to do in just a few minutes.
I've got a Sammy Model: LN40A550 It's a 60HZ :( but it does have 5 ms response time. Thanks again by the way! :usa2:

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
I've got a Sammy Model: LN40A550 It's a 60HZ :( but it does have 5 ms response time. Thanks again by the way! :usa2:
Sorry for the delay. I totally spaced this thread. Here are the recommended tweaks for your Samsung LN40A550. This should save you $250.00 and give you professional results.

User Menu Settings
Picture Modes
o Picture Mode : Movie
o Color Temperature : Warm 2
o Aspect Ratio : 16:9
Precision Settings
o Backlight : 4
o Contrast : 95
o Brightness : 50
o Sharpness : 2
o Color : 46
o Tint : G50/R50
Detailed Settings
o Black Adjust : Off
o Dynamic Contrast : Off
o Gamma : -2
o Color Space : Auto
o White Balance : Factory Default
o Fleshtone : 0
o Edge Enhancement : Off
o XVYCC Color : Off
Picture Options
o Color Tone : Warm 2
o Size : 16:9
o Digital NR : Off
o HDMI Black Level : Normal
o Film Mode : On
o Blue Only Mode : Off

As recommended at TWEAK TV
Calibration Settings for the Samsung LN40A550 - TweakTV

Do you have any setting recommendations for a Vizio VU42Land a LG 32lg30

Thanks
One of the reasons I like Vizio is that their "Standard" setting on the picture presets is close to correct.

Adjust the "color" down a few (3-4...) clicks until the skin tone looses some of its redness, and increase the tint or hue a couple of clicks (1-2) toward green to add the final balance to achieve the correct skin tone.

Look here for a complete list.

HD Do's & Don'ts

What are the advantages of having it calibrated anyway? I always thought the factory settings were meant to optimize the performance and quality of any appliance.
Calibration is one of the many subjects that the usual explanations given on other websites fail to properly explain.

They televisions from the factory come uncalibrated for a variety of excuses given.
1. The TVs need time to "settle in" before calibrating
2. Calibrating TVs at the factory would be too costly.

The real reason is that we are like moths to a flame. The settings are set so that "out of the box" it will be very bright. Each competitor wants their TV to be the brightest on the showroom floor. Consequently, using their preset, out of the box won't give you the highest quality, but rather the brightest picture. Brightness and edginess look good to the untrained eye.

What is the advantage of calibration?

The cut-and-paste answer on other websites it that color calibration gives you the picture as the director intended. I read this over and over and couldn't justify spending any money to calibrate.

After some time, and many calibrations, the correct answer is color calibration is all about detail and realism. Detail comes from very small differences in color and shade.

Let's examine for a moment, a persons face. The face is pretty much just one color. The details that add depth and texture come from the subtle shading of this one color. Wrinkles, age spots, skin texture all come from these very small differences.

That said, when your television is not calibrated, it mixes the colors incorrectly and the result is that detail is lost. Incorrectly mixed colors will have a "blurring" effect by not accurately portraying the shades and tints.

Color calibration will:

1. Increase detail and add realism
2. Decrease the effects of mosquito noise
3. Increase the quality of HD and SD.

I highly suggest that you use a calibration disc and/or tips located at WOWVision! to assist in calibrating by eye. I would not use the tips found at TweakTV.

Sorry for the delay. I totally spaced this thread. Here are the recommended tweaks for your Samsung LN40A550. This should save you $250.00 and give you professional results.

These are NOT good calibration settings.

User Menu Settings
Picture Modes
o Picture Mode : Movie (Too red, start fresh)
o Color Temperature : Warm 2 (Way too red, use Cool 1)
o Aspect Ratio : 16:9
Precision Settings
o Backlight : 4
o Contrast : 95 (Way too high. High contrast, means large differences. Low contrast means small differences. Most TV's look best around the center of the scale (50's). Use brightness to add brightness.)
o Brightness : 50 (Move this up if the screen gets too dark when setting contrast to its better setting.)
o Sharpness : 2 (Depends...)
o Color : 46 (Take this down to approx. 30)
o Tint : G50/R50 (Move this 2 or 3 clicks toward green.)
Detailed Settings
o Black Adjust : Off
o Dynamic Contrast : Off
o Gamma : -2 (Don't mess with)
o Color Space : Auto
o White Balance : Factory Default
o Fleshtone : 0
o Edge Enhancement : Off
o XVYCC Color : Off
Picture Options
o Color Tone : Warm 2 (Too warm)
o Size : 16:9
o Digital NR : Off
o HDMI Black Level : Normal
o Film Mode : On
o Blue Only Mode : Off

As recommended at TWEAK TV
Calibration Settings for the Samsung LN40A550 - TweakTV
I have been studying picture quality for several years, now. What is passed off as color calibrated is often times much better than out of the box, but I've only seen a few that were actually correct.