Can you purchase a digital box for cable instead of renting it?

eaheemp

DTVUSA Rookie
well actually for those that dont know, i dnt know how many states do this, but comcast pays another company to pick up old account equipment, i worked for them for over 3 years, so pretty much everyone in this area knows what i do and who i am, and i always use to tell them if you come across boxes let me know, some people do every now and then, but a friend of mine who works at a hotel told me they closed their account with comcast, so they had over 50 cable boxes and modems for me, they are already paid off, but they werent going to do anything with them but throw them away so he said i could have them. i no longer work for them but i was just going to give them to my friend who still works there and he was going to give me some of the money he makes off of them. at this company its 100% comission, so the more boxes you bring in the more money you make, i have over 70 in my attic now, i was going to give them to him but then i saw what they were selling for on ebay, i thought i remembered my sup saying the boxes wouldnt work with any other person, but that was years ago so i dont really remember.

dkreichen1968

Staff member
they closed their account with comcast, so they had over 50 cable boxes and modems for me, they are already paid off.
As far as I know, Comcast doesn't sell STBs, they lease them... While they may scrap obsolete boxes, I really don't think that any current issue boxes out there are legal.

On the other hand I do know they let you use your own modem, but I've never heard of Motorola/Cisco selling STBs direct to a customer, but then again for a hotel they might make an exception. Of course you can also get a cable card for a Tivo or something similar.

What models are they?

Last edited:

eaheemp

DTVUSA Rookie
not going to type all of them lol, but there are a few DHC70, DCT6200, DCT3412, DCH100. there are a few different ones but there seem to be more of these models. as far as how the leasing works, you would know better than me, all they would show us is which boxes were most important (worth the most to collect and turn in) which were DCT boxes which these are. Im not sure if the hotel gets a special deal, he says they were paid for and they were told to put them in the back to be thrown out.

eaheemp

DTVUSA Rookie
yea i have no idea, im just going to give them to my friend who still works there, and just get a little of that back, its a lot less money than i would get from ebay, but i wouldnt want to deal with the negative feedback, or complaints if they wont work.

cclashh

DTVUSA Rookie
Hi all, Tivo DVR is the only option that comcast has where you can purchase a an HD DVR and use it to accommodate your comcast monthly service using a cable card; Note: the cable card does not support comcast on demand, however, Tivo has several options for on demand and claims to lead the market in on demand choices. Tivo offers Hulu Plus, Amazon Instant Video, Netflix, YouTube, and Blockbuster. Tivo boxes range in price from $99.99 to $499.98 and there are subscription fees are not included in the price of the DVR. If you have only one box then lifetime service is $499.99 and month to month service is $19.99. You should also consider that you will also be saving money on your comcast account as you will have no DVR charge and there is no charge for the cable card. This off sets the Tivo monthly service fee. It is important to bear in mind that month to month service also requires a 2 year commitment after the first 30 days following your service agreement. As I mentioned before Tivo has four on demand options; all of which will also require a month to month subscription in addition to the fees you would already be paying. It should also be noted that the on demand services mentioned will also charge you for specific content such as new release movies in addition to their monthly fee. This is all going to be an issue if you move to an area and subscribe to a cable service that does not support Tivo within those 2 years. There are really 2 things to consider based on the previous facts. One being that unless you are having some kind of uncorrectable technical issue with Comcast DVR and your intent is to save money by using Tivo then you should stick with renting a comcast dvr, however, there are some good reasons for choosing TIVO outside of saving money. The primary advantage is the hardware and software that is available to you from Tivo. The Tivo Premiere Elite for $499.98 is the best option. It leads the DVR market with a 2 TB hard drive, 4 High Definition tuners, and 300 hours of HD recording space. The hardware and software is several times better than anything comcast can offer in a DVR. The importance of theses specs is that this device has 10 times more recording space than Comcast and can record 4 programs at the same time. Comast only offers 2 tuners and very limited recording space when considering the technology available to manufacturers of Comcast DVR's. You will also most likely prefer TiVo's graphic user interface over comcast. TiVo's GUI is exceedingly more advanced than Comcast. I possess a Tivo DVR and the best description I have for the transition to Tivo is that it was like trading a Yugo in for a BMW. You should also consider where the industry is going with home entertainment. We are exiting the dark ages where we need to have entertainment media such as DVD or Blu Ray disc for every day entertainment. It is much more efficient to simply stream this content into our homes than it is to manufacture discs and Tivo offers this on a scale unmatched by other services. No gas used going to a local DVD/Blu Ray rental store or to the grocery store for redbox and the manufacturers do not have the expense of producing discs. Using Tivo Premier Elite you may never have to watch a TV commercial again but you will have to fast forward to skip them :) With four tuners you will never miss a show you want to see again and you will not be in a race against time to watch your shows before they are deleted because of the 300 hours of recording space. Another really great feature of Tivo software is that you can remove from your channel list meaning you can edit out all standard def channels so that only high def content is recorded which is great for those of us using high def televisions.

Last edited:
U

Unregistered

Check your facts...

Hi all, Tivo DVR is the only option that comcast has where you can purchase a an HD DVR and use it to accommodate your comcast monthly service using a cable card; Note: the cable card does not support comcast on demand, however, Tivo has several options for on demand and claims to lead the market in on demand choices. Tivo offers Hulu Plus, Amazon Instant Video, Netflix, YouTube, and Blockbuster. Tivo boxes range in price from $99.99 to $499.98 and there are subscription fees are not included in the price of the DVR. If you have only one box then lifetime service is $499.99 and month to month service is $19.99. You should also consider that you will also be saving money on your comcast account as you will have no DVR charge and there is no charge for the cable card. This off sets the Tivo monthly service fee. It is important to bear in mind that month to month service also requires a 2 year commitment after the first 30 days following your service agreement. As I mentioned before Tivo has four on demand options; all of which will also require a month to month subscription in addition to the fees you would already be paying. It should also be noted that the on demand services mentioned will also charge you for specific content such as new release movies in addition to their monthly fee. This is all going to be an issue if you move to an area and subscribe to a cable service that does not support Tivo within those 2 years. There are really 2 things to consider based on the previous facts. One being that unless you are having some kind of uncorrectable technical issue with Comcast DVR and your intent is to save money by using Tivo then you should stick with renting a comcast dvr, however, there are some good reasons for choosing TIVO outside of saving money. The primary advantage is the hardware and software that is available to you from Tivo. The Tivo Premiere Elite for $499.98 is the best option. It leads the DVR market with a 2 TB hard drive, 4 High Definition tuners, and 300 hours of HD recording space. The hardware and software is several times better than anything comcast can offer in a DVR. The importance of theses specs is that this device has 10 times more recording space than Comcast and can record 4 programs at the same time. Comast only offers 2 tuners and very limited recording space when considering the technology available to manufacturers of Comcast DVR's. You will also most likely prefer TiVo's graphic user interface over comcast. TiVo's GUI is exceedingly more advanced than Comcast. I possess a Tivo DVR and the best description I have for the transition to Tivo is that it was like trading a Yugo in for a BMW. You should also consider where the industry is going with home entertainment. We are exiting the dark ages where we need to have entertainment media such as DVD or Blu Ray disc for every day entertainment. It is much more efficient to simply stream this content into our homes than it is to manufacture discs and Tivo offers this on a scale unmatched by other services. No gas used going to a local DVD/Blu Ray rental store or to the grocery store for redbox and the manufacturers do not have the expense of producing discs. Using Tivo Premier Elite you may never have to watch a TV commercial again but you will have to fast forward to skip them :) With four tuners you will never miss a show you want to see again and you will not be in a race against time to watch your shows before they are deleted because of the 300 hours of recording space. Another really great feature of Tivo software is that you can remove from your channel list meaning you can edit out all standard def channels so that only high def content is recorded which is great for those of us using high def televisions.
Don't let them win...not the cable companies, not the government and definitely not the in-laws.

CableCARD: Know Your Rights | FCC.gov

A side note, this will piss you off and make you laugh at the same time: FCC admits CableCARD a failure, vows to try something else

I know you can do it...the hardest part is starting. Go get 'em, cowboy/girl!!!

digitalamps

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Don't let them win...not the cable companies, not the government and definitely not the in-laws.

CableCARD: Know Your Rights | FCC.gov
I tried replying to this as a guest but it never went through for some reason, anyways, I totally agree with you. Just because there doing there best not to let you own your own equipment doesn't mean it's legal and if they give you trouble just file a complaint with the FCC!

Go to xxxxxxx and buy your own boxes, i've already bought one and it works just fine and i'm saving $16 a month on my rental so it'll pay for itself in no time. It's amazing the thousands of dollars i've spent on rentals over the years.

Last edited by a moderator:

digitalamps

DTVUSA Jr. Member
By the way did you guys know you could buy boxes from Best Buy in Canada? Check it out.. Shaw Motorola 500GB Dual Tuner HD PVR Receiver (DCX3400) : Shaw - Best Buy Canada Only catch is they only work on specific cable systems I think, kinda smart on the cable companies part if you think about it.

It's even the same box I bought from that other company. I'm suprised cable companies down here haven't started doing this yet.

Last edited:
G

I have a bunch of extra remotes because the installer gave them to me. I commented to him that I had trouble in the past with renters taking them. This is for a second home we rent by the week.

G

The bottom line is it's not worth it.

Comcast is dtill going to charge you $9.95 just to have the HD service.

Also, if the cable box you bought off ebay has a balance left on it to comcast...and it will. you will have to pay that up front before comcast will send a signal.

G

comcast

Cant you buy one of the off ebay or craigslist? Cant I get a cable card from comcast for a couple bucks a month? One guy from comcast said if you buy these boxes and rent the cable cards from comcast, it will work. Is this true

G

comcast boxes on ebay considered stolen

Comcast will not activate cable boxes that you have bought off of ebay or anywhere else. boxes that work with Comcast cable (those that say xfinity or Comcast) on them that are for sale on ebay are considered stolen property by Comcast. after all, where did they come from? somebody got cable and a box and then moved and left it. It still belongs to Comcast.

KrissB

DTVUSA Member
I used my Digital tuner in my LCD TV when I had Comcast. However I don't think I had the ability to watch Pay-Per-View. Then again, I didn't wish to! If you don't subscribe to digital packages, you can use a newer TV tuner (in most LCD/Plasma TV's) deemed "Cable Ready". Currently, I have a 2nd 32" LCD that does not have a Set Top Box, I'm pretty sure it gets every channel the Set Top Box gets. Sorry I've never taken the time to compare.

And to test, this would be easy, simply unhook the cable from the Set Top Box, and plug it into your TV, scan for channels, and ensure everything you want to watch is there! Any premium channels that normally would be on your Set Top Box would probably not be enabled on your TV unless you have the CableCARD slot & card (if that even works correctly). Yet, if you are trying to save money, I would guess you don't have premium channels! I think even some premium channels used to be viewed without the Set Top Boxes, but that may be decades past Technology! lol

KrissB

dkreichen1968

Staff member
Comcast has been decreasing the number of unencrypted channels for several years now, and is rolling out the encryption of all TV channels. All channels are encrypted in several areas already. The FCC approved the practice of encrypting all channels last year. Within the next few years a DTA, CableCard, or Cable Box will be required for all televisions connected to Comcast. This will allow Comcast to activate or terminate service to specific addresses without making a service call.

Last edited:
G

Ive done the same thing and many im sure have. However, you used a splitter off your cable line which is also illegal. If you dont have a cable tv package and only have high speed Internet then that is what you are setup for. If you get into the cable and remove the filter and add a splitter that is illegal and if caught they could fine you or charge you. So yes you could get those channels on your tv reciever but it was illegal and now most are encrypted anyway.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Comcast 0
S DirecTV 0
K DirecTV 0