Question: Can't get any channels-Sansui

musiclvr56

DTVUSA Jr. Member
I have a 19" Sansui digital tv that I barely used years ago, but want to start using it. I have an antenna because I don't have cable tv. I tried programming it by using auto memory and it said 0 channels found. I have an identical television which I tried programming that one and it works. This television was also barely used. I don't like to give up so I am frustrated. My son insists there is something wrong with the television, but I don't believe it. It could be something simple, but I don't know what.

Any thoughts are much appreciated!

Karen

I have a 19" Sansui digital tv that I barely used years ago, but want to start using it. I have an antenna because I don't have cable tv. I tried programming it by using auto memory and it said 0 channels found. I have an identical television which I tried programming that one and it works. This television was also barely used. I don't like to give up so I am frustrated. My son insists there is something wrong with the television, but I don't believe it. It could be something simple, but I don't know what.

Any thoughts are much appreciated!

Karen
Karen,

There probably is something wrong with the television. If you have an identical TV that is scanning channels, then the TV itself probably is the issue. However, before we cover that, let's try a few things:

First of all, run your TV Fool Report and post it here. We'll be better able to assist you if we know what kind of signal you're receiving. You can also use your TV Fool report to directly program the RF channels on most TVs (although not always: I have a TV that can only direct-enter the few remaining low-power analog channels; all digital channels must be auto-scanned).

INDOOR ANTENNA: If they're using different indoor antennas, try the non-working TV with the working antenna. If that fails, move the non-working TV to the location of the working TV and see what happens. Swap the antennas again and see if the TV tunes anything. If not, it could well be the TV's tuner has failed. Don't give up yet.

ATTIC OR OUTDOOR ANTENNA: If they're on the same attic or roof mounted antenna, then the issue could be in a number of places. Your wiring may be degraded due to squirrels, weather, or a number of other factors. Connections may be corroded, which degrades the signal. You may have a number of splitters between the TV in question and the antenna; each "split" of the cable reduces the signal (a 1-to-4 splitter will reduce signal strength by 75% on all connections, regardless of whether anything is plugged in to the splitter's other connectors). You can replace splitters with F Type Coaxial Cable Connectors available at your local hardware, electronics, or big-box store. See if you can check the cables between your TV and the antenna for damage, corrosion, and unnecessary splitters. Replace damaged cable with quad-shielded RG-6 cabling, and clean up any corrosion (usually a white or green crust) on the connections.

NONE OF THE ABOVE: Well, it's possible your TV's tuner has failed. Don't give up, there's still a chance to fix it. If the TV has HDMI input, you can get an inexpensive digital TV tuner. I've used the Stellar Labs DT-series tuner on analog TVs and it has the necessary HDMI-out to hook up to high-definition digital TVs. The DT-800 is going for about $50 right now. The linked DT-1200 is overpriced, in my opinion, but is available for $225 and will also record shows to an external hard drive. If the TV doesn't have an HDMI input, you can still input the tuner to the RF jack and set the TV to "cable" mode. The tuner can then be used just like a cable box.

There's other things that could be going on, too. Once we know more about your setup and can see your TV Fool report, we'll be able to give you better advice.

G

Are you sure that you have selected antenna and that it's not set on cable? If it is on antenna then a digital converter box can be an inexpensive way to go.