Can't get CBS in Ohio HELP ME!!

CBScomeback

DTVUSA Jr. Member
So I'm near Cleveland, Ohio and the only channel I can't get is CBS, which is the only channel I watch. I've tried endlessly doing autoscans, moving around the antena, doing both at the same time, and doing nothing at all. All the other channels work...just not CBS! (WOIO in my region) Why is this happening!!

CptlA

DTVUSA Member
We need to see your TV Fool plot. Go there, enter your location info, and post the results here. It'll give you important information like how far away you are from broadcast towers. What kind of antenna are you using? Indoor/Outdoor/Manufacture?

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
WOIO is a VHF channel. Is your indoor antenna a UHF/VHF or just a UHF? Is it powered? It's right on the "indoor antenna" borderline at almost 20 miles away.

CBScomeback

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Its UHF/VHF I think, and it's not powered, just plugged into the DTV box.

But my brother has one of the new ones that were right by the converter boxes, and his CBS doesn't work either.

Last edited:

Trip

Moderator, , , Webmaster of: Rabbit Ears
Staff member
WOIO-DT is severely underpowered. You'll most likely require a bigger antenna to receive it.

I wish they'd flip This onto 19-2 and put CBS on 43-2 until something gets sorted, but that would make too much sense...

- Trip

Piggie

Super Moderator
Its UHF/VHF I think, and it's not powered, just plugged into the DTV box.

But my brother has one of the new ones that were right by the converter boxes, and his CBS doesn't work either.
At least you are line of sight.

They are running a directional array very underpowered (exactly Trip) so in your direction they are running 2.4 KW ERP by my calculations, 3KW by TVFool. Either way it's horribly low power.

That is nearly exactly the power but almost double distance people in Gainesville FL see from their NBC WNBW. Only a few lucky ones see anything on an indoor antenna. Most of them are using a small outdoor VHF antenna to receive it.

Is there away for you to put up a short outside antenna? Just has to be above the peak of the roof at most or one inside the attic?

I just don't think any antenna indoors is going to work unless you hang a 6 element yagi across the ceiling (which would work but be a strange decoration).

Even if they are allowed to raise power to 10.3 KW per their application to the FCC (it's not guaranteed), it will only boost their signal by 4 db. That might take you from no CBS inside to one that breaks up constantly inside.

so let us know if it's even possible to put up an outdoor antenna.

Piggie :mad:)

Piggie

Super Moderator
Let me know if you can put up an outdoor antenna. I looked at things and a couple of small antennas into a special joiner (under $100) you should have rock solid signals.

Tim58hsv

DTVUSA Member
Why WOIO is low low low power.

From the Ohio Media Watch site...

"WOIO has two answers to questions about this untenable situation:

1) "We applied for a power increase." Well, they did, from 3.5 kW to 10.3 kW, but it's being held up by Canadian coordination issues.

You think? Really? Wow, what a surprise! Gee, we wonder why?

Considering that London ONT powerhouse CFPL is also sitting on 10 (analog right now, they'll keep 10 for digital whenever that happens), what were Raycom corporate engineers thinking by insisting on a RF 10 digital facility for WOIO? What were they smoking?

Didn't they realize that before their digital facility first tuned up, in-market viewers along Lake Erie were able to watch CFPL *IN THE CLEVELAND MARKET* with little difficulty?

Didn't they know that CFPL was so strong in eastern Cuyahoga County, it was carried on local cable in that part of the area?

Someone has to tell CBS about this."

Read the rest of the article at the link below. It's in cache form to make it easier to find the parts about WOIO.

http://74.125.155.132/search?q=cach...+watch+woio&cd=3&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&ie=UTF-8

Last edited:
Hi I am a reporter with BusinessWeek doing a story on the the digital transition. I would really like to talk to those of you like CBScomeback who have been having trouble with their television reception since the transition.

You can email me at commentstojoel@gmail.com

Joel Schectman

PS you can see my last article on the digital transition here.

Piggie

Super Moderator
Why WOIO is low low low power.

From the Ohio Media Watch site...

"WOIO has two answers to questions about this untenable situation:

1) "We applied for a power increase." Well, they did, from 3.5 kW to 10.3 kW, but it's being held up by Canadian coordination issues.

10.3 KW is still totally inadequate power. 40 or more would duplicate their old coverage.

If they don't think they can get approved for 10.3, forget 40.

This is happening in many many markets with as many stations as possible filed to be on VHF high band.

Do you think we should have given away at least 52-59?

It's not more efficient in so many practical applications, the TV industry was sold down the river. So so many communities the problem can't be fixed, ever never ever, amen, good by reception.

At least "if" they get approved for 10KW it should give them a 40 mile range with the people on that fringe running 10 element VHF beams. Those over 10 miles with 6 element beams.

Heck I bet at 3.5 KW it takes a 6 element at 12 miles now, and rabbit ears might work out 8 to 10 in good directions.

I was in the discussion at AVS when we pulled this all together what was going to happen. Falcon_77 gets the credit for the name and original definition.

But I tell you what boys and girls, I didn't see it all coming to this being so bad. It's a mess.

Here in FL we have VHF's on the same channel 160 miles apart, all applying for and granted huge power increases. I thought the analog interference on the same channel was bad. I don't care what the theory says, digital interference is even worse.

Stations I can watch in the day disappear at night as the skip rolls, which it does in FL constantly at night. Rare are the nights without tropo.

And from my observations from the FM-DX propagation prediction charts it only takes mild tropo to wipe out anyone more than 30 to 40 miles from a VHF transmitter regardless of your Front to Back, Front to Side ratios. Because when the skip rolls even mild you get plenty of signal off the back and sides of a VHF beam.

What do I need to do? Stack a quad array of four YA-1713's to try and block tropo? $250 worth of antennas and combiners? Would that even help?

I guess I need to join the crowd and start writing letters to NBC, FCC for the mess. I get a more consistent signal from Radio Moscow than NBC, honest.

CptlA

DTVUSA Member
I can't really invest in an outdoor antenna, nor do I have the capability of hooking it up to get the best signal.
What kind of budget do you have?

Have you tried moving your indoor antenna around to a different location in your house? You can try connecting a bigger length of coax cable to the antenna from you converter box and try placing the antenna in different locations, then doing another auto channel scan. There's probably only a low, low chance that this would work, but if it does work, it would be cheaper than having to buy another antenna.

CBScomeback

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Okay I finally got it to work pretty well. All I did was point the antenna all the way up to the ceiling and once again did a scan. This time it found more channels, and then I just adjusted the antenna to CBS. now it works pretty well. Thanks for helping me - the tv fool site helped a lot to show me where to point the antenna. I hope this helps some other people with their problems.

Piggie

Super Moderator
Okay I finally got it to work pretty well. All I did was point the antenna all the way up to the ceiling and once again did a scan. This time it found more channels, and then I just adjusted the antenna to CBS. now it works pretty well. Thanks for helping me - the tv fool site helped a lot to show me where to point the antenna. I hope this helps some other people with their problems.
Cool. I wish everyone with sucess would come back and tell us what worked.

First the knowledge is good. Two it just feels good after researching for someone out the ether to help for free just a thank you.

Your welcome and enjoy!